Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 11:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantfan View Post
Glad that I came across your thread.

A 2017 33KRETS is one of a couple TT's that I have my target set on. However, only today realized about the awning placement.

For us, this unit will be parked at our trailer park and not pulled. Our spot is a bit small, but has the best lake spot location, so a Park Model isn't a good option for us. Anyhow...

Being that I'll be parking this and having my deck come off of it, the awning placement is brutal on this unit. Assuming that the awning extends the usual 8' off the trailer, then the first 3 feet are eaten up with the slideout. Meaning but the time my chairs are set up they've close to the edge of the awning versus set back by the trailer. If you're just looking for shade maybe that's fine, but if you want shelter during rain, it seldom seems to come straight down lol.

The outdoor speakers are forward of the door, and there is plenty of footage from the door to the front of the trailer, so why would the awning not be placed there? I've got a message into the dealership, but it's honestly one of those deal breaker's for me as I spend a lot of time sitting on my deck and to have so much uncovered doesn't work well.

The other concern that I have, is that for $50k CAD, the chairs look a bit on the lower quality end whereby I'd likely be replacing them. Versus say the Starcraft 346RE which is one of the trailers I'd bantering between, doesnt have the stainless fixtures, but has great sofa and recliners, and an awning placed where I would have expected the Surveyor awning to be. What are your thoughts on the chairs? Are they comfortable enough that you'd keep them, or would you replace them?

Thanks! Looking forward to your experiences with this unit. Which looks great in many ways.

This unit will also be parked at a seasonal camp site. We have not personally seen this unit. RV show didn't have it and our dealer didn't either. We literally picked it out of the book just like we did our last one which makes me lose sleep every night.

I seen the awning and heard some complaints. Yes it does suck that it covers the slides but we also have a gazebo so I can sit under that also. Do like the idea it will keep that side of the camper cooler as this is the side we have full sun at high time.

My concerns are also the furniture. We sat in a comparable model but it had theater seating and that was very comfortable. We are getting the hide a bed which I can't understand because most had trifold but this didn't have that option. The recliners look uncomfortable let's hope they aren't.
soapydonutzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #22

I have found the recliners to be comfortable as is the couch. I have an "older" 2017 model and we did have reclining issues with the chairs and they had to be replaced.

As for the awning... it was almost a deal breaker but we set up our gazebo at the front of the camper and it works well. You cannot use a slide topper on the awning side. The reason for the awning placement is it would be a very short awning between the slide and front of the camper, the larger awning covers the rear and shades the windows. I have looked into another awning for the front but there is no structural support for it where the two awnings would join.

We just spent 6 days in ours, 4 people and 2 dogs, everything was fine with it, all systems worked perfectly. We are home for 2 weeks then off again for a long weekend.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #23

We love the recliners and find them comfortable. The awning seems to be in a bad spot. I would rather it more forward. When looking we found two different brochures. One did have the awning like we wanted but I think it was manufactured in a different location. This is the 2016 model though. I am attaching the video so you can see this awning. Hopefully you can find this one!
GBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #24

They redesigned the awning for 2017. When we bought ours sight unseen we thought the awning would be forward, it has worked OK for us. I did cut a pool noodle to go on the slide to keep the canvas from rubbing on it.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #25

Went up to have a good look at the 33KRETS today.

Love a lot of things about this unit. The staonless appliances, the big fridge, skylight, 'wood' blinds, and overall was very happy with the unit.

Im decided I can live without the arning at the front as I may get a hard roof anyhow.

But, in the 2017, the two recliners and cloth jacknife sofa we're really having trouble with. The quality everywhere else is pretty darn good, but in the 2017 the fabric sofa and recliners seem subpart compared to the rest of the unit and have me now debating between the Cougar 30RLI and this unit. Really torn and going to spend a couple of days doing pros and cons. If the furniture was better it would be a home run for me (especially after viewing about a dozen other trailers today with lower price tages and better recliners/couch)
giantfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #26

Wish I could see the unit personally. Do you live in the Midwest because all the pic and videos I have seen the couch is leather. But I did see a few with what I thought was cloth. I do not want a cloth couch and if it comes with one I am going to make them change it out because I seen leather ones in the other units 33rol.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapydonutzs View Post
Wish I could see the unit personally. Do you live in the Midwest because all the pic and videos I have seen the couch is leather. But I did see a few with what I thought was cloth. I do not want a cloth couch and if it comes with one I am going to make them change it out because I seen leather ones in the other units 33rol.

Also, what color was the interior. I ordered the stone and have only seen what I believe to be a cloth couch in the stone units. Did you take any pics?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #28

Hey guys.

Yes, the interior was the 'stone' scheme. The chairs are quite different from the 2016 version of the trailer which appears to have the fuller 'fluffier' type leather (likely bonded) recliners. These were more narrow with thinner arms. The type of chair you would see as a non-recliner.

This was the 33KRES model, so didnt have the theatre style chairs or couch. And the entertainment unit was at the end vs a side. The loveseat sofa is a jack knife style vs pullout trifold. And is smaller than the other 33XXX models as you get the pantry beside the fridge. But the problem is that there isn't an abundance of cupboard space in the kitchen, so without the pantry gets a bit limited (for my needs at least - aka a suitable liquor cabinet lol).

The couch was definitely cloth, not leather (or leather like). One that I'm not a fan of (at our home we have nothing that is fabric or carpeted as we have some large dogs and dont like the hair getting into fibres of cloth).

It's funny, the sales rep was stunned when we said we didnt care for the furniture. Said something about the brand they use and how recognized they were, but I would have much rather seen the 2016 furniture in there. Perhaps I'll look for a last season model kicking around.

Im actually pretty bummed about the furniture as I really liked the model, the lighting, and the overall quality was quite nice compared to comparable competitors. The barrelled roof gave a nice feel. Bedroom and bathroom areas were great.

Plus, the awning is a tough one for me. I understand why it cant be at the forward of the trailer, but being over the slideout is problematic until I put in a hard roof for my deck.

In light of these items, we've opted to pass on this model. But, I certainly wouldn't suggest others do the same. There are a lot of great touches on this unit and it's really a very nice trailer - just depends on what you want out of it, and what you may want to replace/upgrade.
giantfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #29

Hi called surveyor today and anything with "stone" will have the fabric couch. All others have leather
Old 04-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #30

Called in today and changed colors. giantfan thank you so much for the heads up. Funny nobody mentioned the fabric couch when I ordered it. Just called my dealer and they were trying to tell how beautiful the stone was that the couch was a charcoal color but in the pics I seen it looks really light and the recliners look charcoal color and couch light gray.

Tags
surveyor