Old 10-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #1

251RKS-What are your top ‘make sure you know’?

We are picking up our surveyor 251rks on monday for our walk through. Usually the walk throughs are filled with quick pointing and a lot of ‘you knows’ and then we get out on our own and cant recall what they said or pointed to!

What are your top items we need to make sure we understand before taking the camper off lot?

Last question, we have a husky weight distribution hitch and plan to use with 251rks, but we had problems with sway with our salem 27rkss/ have discovered it was too heavy for truck and so moving to lighter surveyor. Regardless, wanted to ask opinion if any sway problems with this unit?

Thanks
Angie

Angieburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #2

We have a 2017 251rks pulls very well with the husky ts. We pull with a 2018 f150 ,5.0.
Make sure you review manual slide operation ( we have had no issue) just to be safe.
We have only had very minor issues. We did turn the head of the nose jack sideways so the tailgate would lower all the way

palusza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Why don't you video the walkthrough?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #4

thanks for that suggestion

thanks for that suggestion. I can that!
Old 10-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Walkthrough?

The are called a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection).

Tell them up front that you expect a thorough PDI...not the short blow off that most dealers call a PDI...or in your case, a walkthrough.

Don't let them point and give you brief descriptions of things...

MAKE THEM show you how everything works...and make them show you that everything is working the way it should!

Inside and outside...and don't forget to look at the underside while you are at it!

EVERTHING!

If your PDI is shorter than three to four hours...it is not a proper PDI.

And...do the PDI first...and make them fix any issues you may find BEFORE you sign any paperwork!

Once you sign those papers and/or pull that camper off of their lot...all chances are off for any kind of timely warranty repairs.

But make them fix things before you sign and leave with it...

You'll be amazed how fast and how good they are at getting things fixed the right way.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
RV Mobile Repair

On our 251RKS we forgot to have the dealer start all appliances on shore power, lp or 12 volt electric. Found out later the water heater didn't work on shore power. They fixed it later but . . .
Hudgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
D W

It's "YOUR" PDI, so "YOU" take control of it. You've previously owned a Salem, so you're not new to TT's. Check, test and operate everything as you would normally do. If you have an issue, raise it. If you have a question, ask it. Coordinate ahead of time with your dealer to ensure the refrigerator has been turned on to allow it to get cold, and to have propane available to operate the water heater and furnace. Batteries should also be installed.

As for your hitch, if you set it up correctly, it should suffice. Sway is often the result of not enough tongue weight. You didn't state what your TV was for the Salem, but you admitted it was too much for your TV. Having the correct tongue weight and load distribution is critical.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #8

Tongue weights-Sway and Walk through

I always feel rushed but maybe because I allowed it to be rushed. I will call this morning and make sure they have it hooked up, frig cold etc. Thanks for the reminder. As for my current Salem, we have the opposite problem; too much tongue weight but with the weight distribution bars (based on what I have been told of it taking 1/3 off tongue) then it wasn't too horrible. Our tongue weight at our local LOVES was 1040. Our hitch weight was rated at 650 and if my math is correct taking 1040 and dividing by 3 brought it down to 694. Still over but not as bad. Our weight distribution bars were only rates for 600-800 (installed by the Salem Dealer) and we wondered if they were not strong enough for the unit weighing 6500. The surveyor is 5500 so we are hoping they will be fine this time around. Any input is appreciated.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
D W

For general info, you may want follow this thread:

Surveyor 251 RKS shakedown cruise

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #10

Regarding your sway question:
I have yet to install my weight distribution bar on my 2016 model 251rk. To date, I have never had a sway problem. My TV is a 2005 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4, regular bed with a small canopy. We live in northwest WA and often go over the Cascade passes. It is a very nice trailer!

Ram 2500 / Surveyor 251rks

debit is offline   Reply With Quote