Old 04-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #1

291 Slide Leak Defect

Hello All,

Is anyone aware of a manufacturer's defect (water leaking in) relating to the slide on their 291 trailer's? One dealer telling me it is a known defect but the dealer I bought it off of has no idea. Looking to confirm, to proceed with any required repairs.

Thx,

Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Where is it leaking? Is it at the top seal of the slide-out?

That's where I had a leak on our previous camper...Rockwood 2605 with the raised floor slide-out when the slide was in.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #3

Not 100% sure where it leaks but I can physically see it dripping on the bottom of the slide in the area where the slide makes contact with the interior wall. It has only leaked when slide is fully extended.
I deal with it by setting up the trailer off level, tilted so the water will run away from trailer.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #4

I recommend a awning topper for your slide. The topper will prevent tons of problems with water infiltration on a windy rainy day. All the slides should come standard with awning toper!They protect fom water infiltration opened and closed.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #5

No awning topper came with my trailer. Guess I would have to order one through a dealer and have them install? BUT I heard this particular leak was a know manufacturer's defect, so wouldn't Forest River be addressing this?
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

There have been a few posts of slide leaks in SV-291s. I can say that our 2007 SV-291 hasn't leaked, yet. I do try to keep the seals clean and after I extend the slide out, I go around and make sure that the seals aren't bent over or kinked.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #7

nl-surveyer: Of course if your trailer is still on warranty and even past the warranty period if it is a defect they should fix it free of charge. I can tell you that they are very good for their work if it is done at the factory. My dealer sent my almost new rockwood back to the factory from Canada for serious water leakages inside the walls and they took care of my trailer and fixed the leakages perfectly. In this major repair the back wall was completely replaced, the trailer was totally removed from the frame and a new menbrane was installed and they installed 2 new passage thru doors and inserts. For your trailer a awning topper would be a good idea after you get it back. Believe me I would not buy a trailer with a slide without a awning topper. It is the best insurance againts leakages no matter how much they cost.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #8

gregm59: I also have started doing this since I experienced my first leak.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 AM   #9

capucine: I bought my trailer in new brunswick & live in newfoundland. I have been having trouble dealing with the dealer since the day I got home with the trailer. I really don't think he is too concerned with my concerns and not even sure he checked with the manufacturer about the defect. I may have to try and get the awning topper through someone locally.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #10

NL-Surveyor I see that you found the SV-291 leak thread. If it will help at all I will post more detailed pictures for you. The water as you found out is entering from the side of the slide. But I should add that this spring I am having a slide out awning installed regardless.

Good luck with your unit.