Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #1

!86 Surveyor issue

Just purchased a used 2009 186 SP and was quite pleased until I removed with great difficulty the full-sized, non-RV queen mattress the previous owners had wedged in. Upon removing the mattress I immediately saw under each window, along the length, a series of rusty spots, which upon further examination seemed to be the ends of nail screws. My concern of course is that there is serious issue with moisture intrusion perhaps from the roof and that the trailer wall may be rotting inside with the only evidence of this problem being these rusty spots. And other issue is why the ends of these nails are poking through to the inside of the trailer. I'd really appreciate your ideas of what might cause this problem or suggestions on how to conduct further analysis. Could the roof of the trailer be leaking and allowing water to intrude into the inner wall? Thanks! PS Attempted to attach some photos of issue and hopefully they made it across.
rmdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #2

It maybe just that the previous owner left the windows open during a rain, or condensation build up due to lack of air circulation. Good luck with your Surveyor.
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. Had wondered about whether they may have left the windows open, and lack of air circulation is a good point since that oversized queen mattress was stuffed in there. Any thoughts about why nail ends are poking through: Do you suppose the pressure of the mattress on the walls caused it?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #4

could be. I just checked mine, and saw no nail or screwheads.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #5

Does your model have the queen in the front like the 186? Have you had to do some corrective work on yours? I noticed in lifting up the bed platform after getting the BIG mattress out of there that the through storage area doors don't exactly seal real tight...thought about sealing them better with silicone. Have you had any water intrusion issues?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #6

no water intrusion issues in that area, had a small leak in shower skylight, but lap sealing took care of that. same bedding arrangement, but I don't have a over size mattress crammed in there. Pass tru storage seals are in good shape.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #7

Puzzle solved! Previous owners in order to stuff in the non-rv queen mattress found they needed to remove the bottom brackets from both windows, which hold curtains and blinds in place when on the road. And even that wasn't enough as they apparently cut off the nail/screw heads. Trapped moisture then caused the rust spots. Brilliant, NOT.

Special thanks to Dick of Venice for his timely, helpful responses. I've just started to dig into this trailer and really go over it...I may be back and am very grateful this forum exists. Cheers!