Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #1

Added Reading Lights to my SV-235RS

The rear slide-out bed only had a center, ceiling mounted light. I added two reading lights above the headboard.

As built from the factory:

I marked the location for the new lights, then removed the headboard from the wall (it was stapled onto the wall). I mounted the light fixture bases and ran the wires on the wall.

The wires run down the center area behind the headboard, and secure onto the plywood base (pictured). The wires then run around the mattress platform and tie into the wires for the existing light fixture on the ceiling over the bed. Since this is a rear bed slide unit, there is a wire disconnect for when the slide is retracted. This is where I made the connection (not pictured).

With lights added:

More pictures here:http://travel.webshots.com/album/550...pWKsDb?start=0
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #2

Nice. Is the wireing run down and behind the headboard?
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #3

Chuck, you've done a lot of nice mods. My wife even looked at your slide-show for more ideas.

We have the same reading lights in our Fleetwood 2701SS over the main bed and over the sofa. I've been living in the trailer the last few days, making sure that everything is working, and the other morning I tried to read the newspaper and drink coffee like usual. I didn't think the light was bright enough.

Have you found brighter light bulbs? I think the bulbs in the fixture are T-5s, maybe a 905 or a 921. I looked at an auto place yesterday but the bulbs I saw did not have wattage listed. Is there an LED replacement?

Guess I'm just spoiled by using an OTT-LITE for reading in the house.

Ron Friedel
Biker_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
Nice. Is the wireing run down and behind the headboard?

Yes, the wires run behind the headboard. I was going to try running the wires in the wall, but I found out there is too much foam to fish the wires thru. I removed the headboard and ran the wires down the center of the wall, securing them on the plywood base under the mattress. I reinstalled the headboard with some well placed/mostly hidden screws. The orig. attachment had the headboard stapled to the wall.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Ron View Post
Chuck, you've done a lot of nice mods. My wife even looked at your slide-show for more ideas.

We have the same reading lights in our Fleetwood 2701SS over the main bed and over the sofa. I've been living in the trailer the last few days, making sure that everything is working, and the other morning I tried to read the newspaper and drink coffee like usual. I didn't think the light was bright enough.

Have you found brighter light bulbs? I think the bulbs in the fixture are T-5s, maybe a 905 or a 921. I looked at an auto place yesterday but the bulbs I saw did not have wattage listed. Is there an LED replacement?

Ron Friedel
Thanks.

I only just added these lights, and have not had a chance to use them yet. We are going camping this weekend, so I will let you know how they do.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #6

You have made somw really nice mods, good job and enjoy them
Old 05-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Ron View Post

Ron Friedel
We used the lights for the firts time last weekend. My wife and I both used them for reading at different times. They were bright enough for us, and gace off very little heat.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #8

Great idea!

Great idea for a mod. I agree with running the wires behind the headboard, why go into the wall if you don't have to.
Cyclicpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
235rs, surveyor