Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundah View Post
Our 2014 SP240 has the factory installed cargo/bike rack, and just the rack itself easily weighs over 50 pounds. You can get a bolt-on receiver to fit the 4" bumper (like this one RV Bumper 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver Curt Specialty Trailer Hitches E-100), so you shouldn't have to void your frame warranty, but keep in mind that adding weight at the rear of the TT is going to effect how it tows so you may need to move other stuff around inside to balance the weight.
I was also going to point out that Surveyor puts on cargo racks as a factory installed option. I was at the Oregon factory and most of the trailers on the line had these racks installed, maybe they're standard now on some models, don't know. I didn't think at the time to look at it in detail or ask about it other than looking at the hinged ladder which is needed to swing out of the way when the rack is tilted up.

Lundah - did your trailer come with any specifications as to the weight carrying limit of the factory installed rack?

Another thing to consider is that putting weight on the rear of the trailer will decrease the tonque weight some (exact amount depends on the length of the trailer and where the axle is), which can cause towing instability/sway etc.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #12

I just wants to thank all of the FR forum users for all of their feedback and input. After careful consideration I have decided against adding a bumper hitch to my travel trailer. I appreciate everyone's responses and help with this!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundah View Post
Our 2014 SP240 has the factory installed cargo/bike rack, and just the rack itself easily weighs over 50 pounds. You can get a bolt-on receiver to fit the 4" bumper (like this one RV Bumper 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver Curt Specialty Trailer Hitches E-100), so you shouldn't have to void your frame warranty, but keep in mind that adding weight at the rear of the TT is going to effect how it tows so you may need to move other stuff around inside to balance the weight.
Use that and you won't have a bumper very long, as the thin tube welded to an equally thin frame will simply tear apart.
If you could see how the factory does it, and duplicate that, you should be ok.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #14

I'm interested.... I'm looking for a safe way to haul 4 bikes on the back of our 5th wheel.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ 72 View Post
I'm interested.... I'm looking for a safe way to haul 4 bikes on the back of our 5th wheel.
you should be asking this in the Wildcat sub-forum, not the Surveyor sub-forum. 5th wheels and travel trailers usually have very different frames and bumpers. and they vary between brands.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote