Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #1

Adding a bumper hitch mount.

I have a 2012 SP240 and I was thinking of installing a bumper hitch mount. The one I am looking at is made for a 4" bumper and will receive a standard 2" hitch. I want to use this with a cargo carrier on the back of my travel trailer. Has anyone done this? Also does anyone know what the weight specs are for the bumper? I also am wondering about the cons of doing this. Although my hitch cargo carrier is rated at 500lbs I would not put any more than 250lbs on it. Are there any concerns in doing this. Please provide feedback as I am looking to others for the confidence in doing this or just letting go of the idea if there any dangers in voiding warranties, safety, etc.
Joedh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #2

I'd run it through FR; get it from the horses mouth, so to speak. We wanted to do the same with our Roo but apparently it's pretty taboo. If you decide to do it regardless of the warranty aspect, I've also read quite a bit about reinforcing the welds on your bumper. Some of the newest models are coming with nice platforms attached already (yay!) but that doesn't help you..... We use the truck bed and what doesn't fit, doesn't go.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Engineer of Crazy Train

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...unt-39062.html

Reed and then make a more informed decision.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedh2 View Post
I have a 2012 SP240 and I was thinking of installing a bumper hitch mount. The one I am looking at is made for a 4" bumper and will receive a standard 2" hitch. I want to use this with a cargo carrier on the back of my travel trailer. Has anyone done this? Also does anyone know what the weight specs are for the bumper? I also am wondering about the cons of doing this. Although my hitch cargo carrier is rated at 500lbs I would not put any more than 250lbs on it. Are there any concerns in doing this. Please provide feedback as I am looking to others for the confidence in doing this or just letting go of the idea if there any dangers in voiding warranties, safety, etc.
Search for posts on this they tell it all. Basically, unless you are VERY sure the bumper and frame in back can carry the load, it is a bad idea.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #5

Having a hitch there seems like a very practical idea. I am sure a local hitch shop can fix one on for you. Sounds like a great addition to your unit.
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Site Team

doing any kind of mod that includes welding something to the frame, will void the frame's warranty.
this is fine if the warranty has run out but not if it's still under warranty.
the Surveyor is an ultra-light trailer with an ultra-light frame. it nor the bumper are ideal for doing what you want, especially the bumper.

Surveyor doesn't warranty the frame, the frame manufacturer does.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #7

A proper shop could bolt one on for you, not weld. You should go see a hitch professional.
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #8

I have only seen (1) hitch on a Rockwood trailer that was (Very well designed & incorporated on the rear. It was by one of our FRF-Tadpole members, (Hoffkm). Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

My understanding is that in addition to the 4 inch bumper's inadequacies for supporting more than a few pounds of weight, the "as designed" ultra-lite frames can not withstand the additional flex caused by a load farther after than the bumper itself.

Frame cracks at the aft axle attachment points have been the most often quoted reason for not doing this. Bike carriers are the worst due to the excessive vertical movement of the loads and the long "moment arm."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	137913307.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	31534   Click image for larger version

Name:	137913309.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	31535  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #10

Our 2014 SP240 has the factory installed cargo/bike rack, and just the rack itself easily weighs over 50 pounds. You can get a bolt-on receiver to fit the 4" bumper (like this one RV Bumper 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver Curt Specialty Trailer Hitches E-100), so you shouldn't have to void your frame warranty, but keep in mind that adding weight at the rear of the TT is going to effect how it tows so you may need to move other stuff around inside to balance the weight.
lundah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundah View Post
Our 2014 SP240 has the factory installed cargo/bike rack, and just the rack itself easily weighs over 50 pounds. You can get a bolt-on receiver to fit the 4" bumper (like this one RV Bumper 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver Curt Specialty Trailer Hitches E-100), so you shouldn't have to void your frame warranty, but keep in mind that adding weight at the rear of the TT is going to effect how it tows so you may need to move other stuff around inside to balance the weight.
I was also going to point out that Surveyor puts on cargo racks as a factory installed option. I was at the Oregon factory and most of the trailers on the line had these racks installed, maybe they're standard now on some models, don't know. I didn't think at the time to look at it in detail or ask about it other than looking at the hinged ladder which is needed to swing out of the way when the rack is tilted up.

Lundah - did your trailer come with any specifications as to the weight carrying limit of the factory installed rack?

Another thing to consider is that putting weight on the rear of the trailer will decrease the tonque weight some (exact amount depends on the length of the trailer and where the axle is), which can cause towing instability/sway etc.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #12

I just wants to thank all of the FR forum users for all of their feedback and input. After careful consideration I have decided against adding a bumper hitch to my travel trailer. I appreciate everyone's responses and help with this!
Joedh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundah View Post
Use that and you won't have a bumper very long, as the thin tube welded to an equally thin frame will simply tear apart.
If you could see how the factory does it, and duplicate that, you should be ok.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #14

I'm interested.... I'm looking for a safe way to haul 4 bikes on the back of our 5th wheel.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ 72 View Post
I'm interested.... I'm looking for a safe way to haul 4 bikes on the back of our 5th wheel.
you should be asking this in the Wildcat sub-forum, not the Surveyor sub-forum. 5th wheels and travel trailers usually have very different frames and bumpers. and they vary between brands.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote