Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #1

Adding a ladder

Our Surveyor is loaded but for whatever reason has no ladder on the back to climb onto the roof. Does anybody know if the roof has the proper mounts to secure a ladder to? Has anybody installed one after the fact and have any suggestions? TIA.
jteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
I don't know about the surveyor, but on my Cherokee, I didn't order the ladder and later regretted it. I asked to have it added but they said it couldn't be done as there were no supports put under the skin from the factory.
SSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #3

They said the same things about our 2008 Rockwood 8287 due to the slideout on the rear.
Mskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #4

We have also had a bad ladder experience. we bought a camper after being told they would add a ladder, a feature we really wanted. Then they discovered it could not be added safely due to the blocking not being there from the factory. Oh well, so we got the ladder noted below. Its light weight , 30 lbs i think, supports up to 300 lbs, solid collapsed height about 32 inches i think, and extends to 12.5 feet. I used it a couple weeks ago during a camping trip, it telescopes in and out easily. we used to clean the slides and lube the slide seals and it did good, we didnt use to get up on the roof. We dont want to get up on the roof much.

http://www.extendandclimb.com/

Probably shouldnt be on the roof much anyway. I might have been tempted to hang bikes off it, not such a good idea.

hope you solve your ladder dilemma.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
We have also had a bad ladder experience. we bought a camper after being told they would add a ladder, a feature we really wanted. Then they discovered it could not be added safely due to the blocking not being there from the factory. Oh well, so we got the ladder noted below. Its light weight , 30 lbs i think, supports up to 300 lbs, solid collapsed height about 32 inches i think, and extends to 12.5 feet. I used it a couple weeks ago during a camping trip, it telescopes in and out easily. we used to clean the slides and lube the slide seals and it did good, we didnt use to get up on the roof. We dont want to get up on the roof much.

http://www.extendandclimb.com/

Probably shouldnt be on the roof much anyway. I might have been tempted to hang bikes off it, not such a good idea.

hope you solve your ladder dilemma.
Do you remember how much you paid for that. It's pretty neat, but I don't see a price on their website.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #6

about $ 210 I think at Sams Club. It does work smoothly, compact, 300 lb load rating.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
about $ 210 I think at Sams Club. It does work smoothly, compact, 300 lb load rating.
Cool...thanks a lot, although one with a 90 lb. rating will do just fine for me....lol
Old 04-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #8

Target on Target

Target stores has the extenda ladder on their website and they have the 10.5 foot household edition in their stores for 99 dollars. My SV235 is a little over 8 foot high and so I bought the home edition from Target and it works perfect.

Weight rated at 225 pounds though...total weight of the ladder is 20 lbs. I can carry it camping with me to knock off limbs and leaves and check the slide, if I want to do a bigger project on the roof, I can get out my fiberglass ladders.
Attached Images

Cyclicpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback

Guess I have to have the dealer figure out if it was blocked from the factory as a first step.
jteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
pat

I just had a factory ladder installed on my surveyor 291 & it looks great. All surveyors are blocked for ladders at the factory. Had mine installed at the dealer & they talked with forest river about where the blocking was.You have to have a ladder for the same year as your camper. Hope this Helps.
pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #11

I received some info today from the FR factory. They said since 2006 they had been putting the blocking in for the wildwoods. the installer needed a precise dwg with the correct ladder. I guess if you give them VIN number they can do it right. I am hoping I can find a dealer that will install a ladder. the dealer i got the trailer from did not feel comfortable doing it.

I am having better feedback from FR and Camping World though

Tags
surveyor