Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Cmmjmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 163
adding rear hitch

Has anyone added a rear hitch to your Surveyor? I know it will void the warrenty and could stress the frame. Just seems like you could engineer it to work. Would like to take the golf cart occasionally when we go to the beach.
__________________

__________________
2013 SP 240 Anniversary
Tundra CrewMax 5.7L in Pyrite Mica
Clark, Mary Jane & Max our German Short-haired Pointer
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,659
Bye what I've read on here and on other forums it does not come across as a good idea, but if you do it, carry a camera and take pictures of the success or failure of this not so bright of an idea.
__________________

__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,485
What are u towing with ?
Will a golf cart and trailer put you over your tow capacity ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore View Post
Has anyone added a rear hitch to your Surveyor? I know it will void the warrenty and could stress the frame. Just seems like you could engineer it to work. Would like to take the golf cart occasionally when we go to the beach.

Not a good idea.....and I think my wording is gentle.

Pulling something behind a bumper pull trailer.....no way !!!

Best bet would be to get a toy-hauler.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,312
the main problem is the Surveyor is an Ultra-Lite trailer with an ultra-lite frame.
it's not built to tow.
its bumper can hardly support a spare tire.

you could weld and brace a receiver to the frame and bumper, but this will void your warranty. and that would be to just carry bikes.

trying to tow with a ultra-lite will void any warranty the frame has.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Cmmjmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 163
Well I appreciate everyone pointing out the obvious but that wasn't' what I asked, has anyone tried it.
__________________
2013 SP 240 Anniversary
Tundra CrewMax 5.7L in Pyrite Mica
Clark, Mary Jane & Max our German Short-haired Pointer
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Cmmjmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
What are u towing with ?
Will a golf cart and trailer put you over your tow capacity ?
10,000 lbs and no it wont put me over the capacity.
__________________
2013 SP 240 Anniversary
Tundra CrewMax 5.7L in Pyrite Mica
Clark, Mary Jane & Max our German Short-haired Pointer
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore
Well I appreciate everyone pointing out the obvious but that wasn't' what I asked, has anyone tried it.
No. For all the reasons listed
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Road-King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore View Post
Well I appreciate everyone pointing out the obvious but that wasn't' what I asked, has anyone tried it.
I guess they are not here. I'm sure someone out there has tried it. I have seen 5th wheels pulling boats, bikes, motorcycles and golf carts. Maybe they are too embarrassed to post their end results. I don't know...

Looks like it's up to you to explore... Let us know how it works out for you cause there are several folks on here who would just like to carry their bikes on the back of their TT. I'll keep mine in the back of the truck...
__________________
Russ & Kim
2014 Alpine 3600RS
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 4X4
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
I guess they are not here. I'm sure someone out there has tried it. I have seen 5th wheels pulling boats, bikes, motorcycles and golf carts. Maybe they are too embarrassed to post their end results. I don't know...
We pulled a 17-foot boat behind our old fifth wheel all the time, and it pulled like a dream. But I wouldn't even consider putting a hitch on the back of my "lightweight" fifth. The frame is paper thin and doesn't look to have much strength at all.

And isn't pulling anything behind a bumper-hitch camper illegal?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore View Post
Well I appreciate everyone pointing out the obvious but that wasn't' what I asked, has anyone tried it.
I think what folks are trying to say is, some have tried and had disastrous results. Some have done it on older heavier framed trailers with good results.

You just have to make up your own mind as to whether you want to gamble on it. The majority of the responses are a resounding "Don't do it", but you are the one with the decision to make.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

I think what folks are trying to say is, some have tried and had disastrous results. Some have done it on older heavier framed trailers with good results.

You just have to make up your own mind as to whether you want to gamble on it. The majority of the responses are a resounding "Don't do it", but you are the one with the decision to make.
And live with what could happen.............
Just sayin
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Road-King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
And isn't pulling anything behind a bumper-hitch camper illegal?
It depends on the state your driving in. In Tennessee it is ok, as long as your second trailer is shorter than your first and there is a total vehicle length restriction as well. Or so a Police Officer I know told me.
__________________
Russ & Kim
2014 Alpine 3600RS
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 4X4
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Cmmjmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
We pulled a 17-foot boat behind our old fifth wheel all the time, and it pulled like a dream. But I wouldn't even consider putting a hitch on the back of my "lightweight" fifth. The frame is paper thin and doesn't look to have much strength at all.

And isn't pulling anything behind a bumper-hitch camper illegal?
My background is canoing and back packing so travel trailers are new to me. So you guys make some very good points. Guess we will just bring the other auto with the cart.
__________________
2013 SP 240 Anniversary
Tundra CrewMax 5.7L in Pyrite Mica
Clark, Mary Jane & Max our German Short-haired Pointer
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
my forest river dealer said it could be done for 600 plus tax. i want to pull my sea doo behind trailer and they said no problem
alcaidinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
William
 
WEMig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 560
I believe that the big concern is with the light frame camper. I have several camping partners that do it pulling boats and trailers with golf carts. Years of doing this and no mishaps. Hitches are professionally done and are towed locally in Louisiana.
__________________
2012 Crusader 320RLT
2011 F250 Lariat 6.7L
2016 (19 Nights Camped/1348 Miles)
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcaidinho View Post
my forest river dealer said it could be done for 600 plus tax. i want to pull my sea doo behind trailer and they said no problem
make sure you get something in writing from the dealer, when you have them do it.
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.


×