Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #1

Adding speaker to entertainment

WAnt to add a set of speakers over the bed and wire them into the entertainment center as speakers C. Any suggestions on where to get comparable speaker that match the ones currently in the Surveyor, but maybe brown instead of white. Sorry about the mis spelling in the title. Hate I-pads.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore
WAnt to add a set of speakers over the bed and wire them into the entertainment center as speakers C. Any suggestions on where to get comparable speaker that match the ones currently in the Surveyor, but maybe brown instead of white. Sorry about the mis spelling in the title. Hate I-pads.
Might want to call your dealer and see if they can find out what was used.

The biggest problem may be running the speakers wires .

Wireless may be an option ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo

Might want to call your dealer and see if they can find out what was used.

The biggest problem may be running the speakers wires .

Wireless may be an option ?
Entertainment center is at the end of the bed, don't think wiring will be the problem. Good idea about calling the dealer. Thanks.
(2011-42)
Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #4

Call forest river direct and talk to their parts dept they will probably sell you the exact speakers
jeerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

I'd just go get a sound bar from best buy or somewhere like that. I eventually want to change out all of the factory speakers as they sound cheap!

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #6

Adding speakers over the bed was fairly easy. Use a knife to cut a hole in the ceiling for the speakers and then use a flexible drillbit to drill through the styrofoam ceiling insulation from the new speaker hole to the center console. Then feed the wires through this hole in the styrofoam. The Jensen stereo faceplate pops off rather easily, then 4 screws later and you can drop the stereo to get the wires. You can reach up through the hole the stereo came out of to snatch the wires through the ceiling. The stock speakers are $8 speakers. Those "entry level" Jensen speakers can be readily replaced. I took the factory speakers out and installed 4 new Alpine 6" speakers - sound over bed is now great. Good luck!
lmcleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #7

What a great idea. I was going to go out the bottom of the entertainment center and under the bed and then come up the wardrobe and put the speakers in the cabinet over the bed. Hate to cut into the ceiling. I ordered the alpines this afternoon, thanks for the idea.
(2011-42)
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #8

Clark-
One more thing to be aware of when installing speakers in the ceiling is clearance. I only had ~ 1 3/4" between the ceiling and roof. Most speakers need over 2 1/2" clearance. My solution was to cut plywood rings about 7" diameter and glue them together to build up about 3" of depth. Then at the ceiling, once I cut out a 7" hole in the ceiling & styrofoam insulation, slide the plywood ring assembly up in the hole, glueing it to the underside of the plywood roof. This will be the support needed to mount the speakers. I only have 3000 miles on the trailer since the install, but it looks like it is still holding up well.

Sorry for changing the subject, but noticed your set up is similar to mine - I have a 2011 5.7L Tundra Crewmax with 2012 SP220. I was thinking of growing into a larger trailer. How does your 240 track behind your Tundra?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker bedroom.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	18800  
lmcleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #9

http://jawbone.com/speakers

Altho' my 5w came with speakers outside, they are marginal at best. And of course, this is off your question just a bit, but you might take a look just the same. We've enjoyed this Bluetooth, wireless unit over the past year and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Our IPOD connects as does the tele', sounds great, small and lightweight, efficient. 100% portable, used in areas in and out of the RV-- anywhere.

Purchased at Costco, other locations and the Internet carry this too, the supplement is a pretty good alternative for us.

Mike
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcleister View Post
Clark-
One more thing to be aware of when installing speakers in the ceiling is clearance. I only had ~ 1 3/4" between the ceiling and roof. Most speakers need over 2 1/2" clearance. My solution was to cut plywood rings about 7" diameter and glue them together to build up about 3" of depth. Then at the ceiling, once I cut out a 7" hole in the ceiling & styrofoam insulation, slide the plywood ring assembly up in the hole, glueing it to the underside of the plywood roof. This will be the support needed to mount the speakers. I only have 3000 miles on the trailer since the install, but it looks like it is still holding up well.

Sorry for changing the subject, but noticed your set up is similar to mine - I have a 2011 5.7L Tundra Crewmax with 2012 SP220. I was thinking of growing into a larger trailer. How does your 240 track behind your Tundra?
We had a R-pod that was like we didn't know it was there most of the time, the new SP240 pulls like a dream. The engine is so strong that you don't even notice it back there. The gas mileage sucks but then I think we all agree that is the price you pay for pulling a trailer. We looked at the 28' and the 30' but you don't get that much more than the 240 and it is much easier to back. It is just the two of us and the dog and if we entertain it is out side so we don't need more room inside.

On the speakers I decided to first try running audio cables from the DVD player to the TV so the speakers on the TV work when we are watching a movie. I like your set up and it is really cleaver the way you added the build up. If the cabling doesn't work I think I am going to put the second set in the over head storage that way they are right over our heads when we are in bed, plus I have cold chills of thinking about cutting into the ceiling. Thanks for the pictures. Good luck
(2011-42)