Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

Advent Microwave

The Advent microwave in my 2013 Forest River Surveyor 26' has stopped heating. I just called Advent(ASA Electronics, 888 283-7374) and asked about recommendations. Not surprisingly I was told to contact Camping World for a replacement. Said that they, CW, had a Dometic unit that would fit.

My question for you readers, is this the "best" suggestion?

Thanks for you opinions, FF
Floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #2

Any microwave will work, look at Walmart.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #3

I guess one concern of mine is that the Advent has a mounting "fascia" as part of the unit and you can just slide in the unit and screw the fascia directly to the cabinet.

I have not looked at any other microwaves as how to secure them into the microwave opening. Installing wooden trim to hide the opening around the unit shouldn't be very difficult.

More suggestions, please.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 PM   #4

It appears that there is not much new info coming my way on this matter. I guess I will ask a different question and see how it goes.

Is there any particular make/model of microwave that I should look at for a replacement? Does it matter that the usage is in a travel trailer versus sitting on a shelf in a house? A cheap Wal Mart unit?

Thanks to all. FF
Old 09-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatflyer View Post
It appears that there is not much new info coming my way on this matter. I guess I will ask a different question and see how it goes.

Is there any particular make/model of microwave that I should look at for a replacement? Does it matter that the usage is in a travel trailer versus sitting on a shelf in a house? A cheap Wal Mart unit?

Thanks to all. FF
I just measured the size of my existing unit when I needed to change it out and found one that matched in size. The "fascia" on mine also allowed for some difference.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 04:47 PM   #6

Advent Microwave Replacement Recommendation Needed

Any Update on this thread, no one lists models or part numbers. Is it really that easy or is there a reason no one is listing model numbers?
Rickygar63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #7

Reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickygar63 View Post
Any Update on this thread, no one lists models or part numbers. Is it really that easy or is there a reason no one is listing model numbers?
Reason? Because not many people have had to replace a microwave oven. They are pretty reliable. If they don't fail in the first year or two, they last many years. And if they fail in the first year or two, they are under warranty. As you may know, all the components (microwave, range, water heater, jack, converter, refrigerator, etc.) in the RV are warranted by their manufacturers, not Forest River), and most of the warranties are for multiple years. The only reason for premature failure is the occasional situation where someone plugs the RV into a miswired outlet and feeds 240 Vac to a 120 Vac microwave oven.

As has been pointed out above, the major constraints are size and suitability for the mounting flange. If it were me, I'd take off the flange and carry it into a big-box store and test-fit it on all the floor models.

One item not considered above is the power. Most residential microwave ovens are around 1800 watts. RV microwave ovens seem to be around 1200 watts. This isn't a huge thing. Both will run on 20 amp circuits, but if you are camping with the air conditioner on and water heater in electric mode, that difference might be enough to pop the breaker. (Not a show stopper--you would just have to remember to turn one of the other consumers off when you used the microwave--but an annoyance for sure.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:51 PM   #8

After doing some "research" in my travel log, we replaced our microwave on Oct 4,2016. I installed a Dometic modelCMW11B.F I tried to remember and search for where we bought it and the only thing for sure is that it wasn't from Amazon. Our credit card purchase records don't go back that far, sorry. It must not have been a big deal to install it as I really don't remember anything very challenging and I am only moderately handy at such things. Hope this helps a bit and good luck.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:15 PM   #9

Microwave Replacement - High Pointe from RecPro

I found in another post with a link to the RecPro website and found an oven that fit our RV cavity. The microwave came with the front panel that screws to the side of the microwave. I did have to place a half inch thick board under the unit to lift it up and I replaced the plastic feet on the microwave with rubber feet as the stock unit had rubber feet. The bottom 2 screw holes for the front cabinet panel lined up nicely and had to drill the top 2 holes for the mounting screws to the cabinet. Appreciate the help. appreciate the input Larry-NC, your summary was spot on. The old unit failed after 8 years and the failure was likely due to plugging into a mis-wired outlet when visiting family.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-microwave-...s-high-pointe/
Rickygar63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent