Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #1

Air or Antifreeze?

Hi,

I am wondering what the consensus is on just blowing out your water lines or pumping Antifreeze thru them? I realize out of 10 responses, I'll get 5 for each... I've always pumped antifreeze, but this year, I blew the lines out for now since I will be using it in a few weeks and it's been really cold here in Michigan. I originally planned to pump the antifreeze after our trip, but the air seemed quite easy. Thoughts?
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #2

I use air to blow out the lines, but I put antifreeze in all of the sinks and tub drains. As far as the flush valve for the toilet, once all lines are clear I position the flush valve in the open position by propping the flush handle with a piece of pvc pipe against the cabinet. The toilet bowl flap is still close off and then add a little antifreeze to the bowl. The flush valve stays open all Winter, this will allow any moisture to either evaporate or drain before temps get down below freezing. And last the hot water tank is completely drained and the plug left out.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I use air to blow out the lines, but I put antifreezes in all of the sinks and tub drains.
Ditto for me, getting the anitfreeze out of the fresh water lines is big pain in the butt. Blow the lines with air and there isn't anything to freeze. When you want to use your rig again, add water and go....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Ditto for me, getting the antifreeze out of the fresh water lines is big pain in the butt. Blow the lines with air and there isn't anything to freeze. When you want to use your rig again, add water and go....

That's a big 10-4 I do not like chemicals in my water lines especially when it says "antifreeze" I don't care If it says NONTOXIC.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I do both.

I blow all of the lines. But I am always surprised when I go back and blow them a 2nd time, and I still get water out of some faucets. So, worried that maybe there will be small pockets of water left, I then pump antifreeze through all of the lines, and then blow the lines again. That way if there are any pockets that won't totally blow out, it will be antifreeze laying there instead of water.

I capture the blown out anitfreeze, and use it in the traps, and also the gray and black tanks after I completely empty those. 2 gallons of antifreeze total to do everything.

Next spring I will flush all of the lines really good just in case it is antifreeze left in those pockets, then sterilize the fresh water tank and all of the lines,flush again, and I am good to go.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

40 PSI Compressed Air through the lines starting in the front and working back. I pour antifreeze in the drains and the top of the toilets. I use to use antifreeze throughout but the pain it is to remove and the expense of it is a deterent. Besides it isn't any better than blowing compressed air through the lines. Just make sure you do everything all faucets, toilets, both indoor and outdoor showers, by-pass the water heater and drain it. Be sure the water is drained out from your water storage tank to the water pump. I always pull the check valves to the hose connections as well. Once I'm sure I've removed 99.99% of the water I drain the grey water tanks and pour antifreeze in all the drains to fill the traps and top off the seals in each toilet.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Ditto for me, getting the anitfreeze out of the fresh water lines is big pain in the butt. Blow the lines with air and there isn't anything to freeze. When you want to use your rig again, add water and go....
X5
if we leave the rig in the winter
i blow out the lines, fill the p traps and add some to the toilet bowl so the seal doesnt dry out
open the drain valves
drain the water heater

this way when we come back its just a matter of closing a few valves, purging the lines and we are in business again
Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #8

I blow the lines out and leave the faucets open. If I know the temps are going to drop below 15 degrees, I'll add antifreeze just to be sure that any water that didn't get blown out or evaporate doesn't freeze. No problems yet, but In Montgomery Alabama 15 degrees doesn't happen often. I do put antifreeze in toilet and traps.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Well, I do both.

I blow all of the lines. But I am always surprised when I go back and blow them a 2nd time, and I still get water out of some faucets. So, worried that maybe there will be small pockets of water left, I then pump antifreeze through all of the lines, and then blow the lines again. That way if there are any pockets that won't totally blow out, it will be antifreeze laying there instead of water.

I capture the blown out anitfreeze, and use it in the traps, and also the gray and black tanks after I completely empty those. 2 gallons of antifreeze total to do everything.

Next spring I will flush all of the lines really good just in case it is antifreeze left in those pockets, then sterilize the fresh water tank and all of the lines,flush again, and I am good to go.
Pure genius! I should try this method where you blow out the antifreeze!
I live where it gets so cold, life should cease to exist! MY ANTIFREEZE FROZE last year and busted my water filter to pieces!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #10

I just do anti-freeze. Takes me 4.5 gallons. I really like the idea to use air/anti-freeze/air. Might try that next year.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, surveyor