Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #1

Any SPT295 with outside kitchens?

Are there any other SPT295 with the outside kitchens out there. We bought one in March and love it. Would like to connect with others for some insight and shared stories. I may have missed, but did not see any threads refering to this model.
Sir Veyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #2

Yep, we have one. Love it for the most part. Where is Senoia? We live near Columbus GA.
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 302 FK

War Eagle
Island Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #3

Just put a deposit on one. The lack of kitchen counter space is the only concern. Any comment? How often do you use the outside kitchen?
surveyor295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #4

We use the outside kitchen every time we camp, but not for cooking. In fact, it took us several trips before we realized how to hook up the stove. I use an electric skillet and electric grill mostly. We needed more counter space too so i ordered the sink covers from Forest River. works great! Enjoy.
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 302 FK

War Eagle
Island Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #5

We use ours almost exclusively. Does not heat up the inside and if you are cooking anything that has grease you are not splattering up the inside. Fridge is used for beverages only, adult and other. Be sure to secure fridge door and beverages inside said fridge before transit. Found this out the hard way. And can't begin to communicate how handy sink and hose attachment are. This and weight were two main selling points for us.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #6

Thank you guys. How does the hose attachment works? Do you guys under the microwave?

I also realize it doesn't have heated enclosed underbelly. I'm up North here in Calgary, Canada and don't really know much of this is an issue.

My wife is sold on the outside kitchen. But if the underbelly is a major issue camping in colder weather (it's Canada), we may be forced to switch ...
Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #7

Hose is a quick connect I can swap out with faucet on sink.
As for underbelly I don't have a lot of cold weather experience in GA. so others can chime in better than I on this. But IMO people have been camping in winter for years and I think the enclosed underbelly is something made poular in last several years.
If in fact it is a concern I know there are tank heaters and letting your faucets drip slightly will keep them from freezing
Old 10-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #8

Sorry for the duplicated.

Hello everyone, I'm a newby here.

I just put a deposit on a 2011 Surveyor SP295, subject to test tow.

We are sold on the outside kitchen. This is the only ultra light unit with outside kitchen weight less than 5500lbs and under 33ft (overall length). Mine is 5231lbs. We notice it is a Sports Model with a few "options" missing such as the Torsion suspension. All others, such as electric water heater, I can live without. (unless someone suggest otherwise)

I have a 06 Durango with upgraded suspension that can tow up to 10,000lbs. The length of the unit, is of course, a concern, but I don't think it is a deal breaker. (unless someone suggest otherwise) I'm here in Calgary, Canada, just an hour drive to the mountains. The road is rather long and straight. But we prefer a larger unit so that I don't have to upgrade at a later time. The TV, of course, can be replaced of upgraded.

We will go for a test tow on Friday.

My concern is, of course, towing. I've driven 30+ft Class C motor home for vacations without much problems. Obviously, towing is in a different league.

If I don't like the tow, I can cancel my contract at any time, or opt for a non-Sports model with Torsion suspension system.

I have a few questions that I would like your valuable inputs.
  1. What should I look for during the test tow?
  2. Expect that the Torsion system delivers a quieter ride, how exactly does it improve tow handling? Would that improve safety? Someone mentioned the Torsion system allows the unit to sit lower with lower centre of gravity, but by how much? The Surveyor SP295 has the lowest exterior height of all ultra light (Bullets, Jayco, Outback, Aerolite, Tango, Coachman, etc.)
  3. The underbelly is not enclosed. Do you think it worth the extra to install electric heat pads and have it enclosed? I'm in a winter country
  4. I also notice may other ultra light units sit higher than the Surveyor. Is the lack of ground clearance a concern?
  5. Should I try towing a SV291 with a Torsion suspension system?
Thank you all for your help!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Kev

I too am looking at the 295, and live in Edmonton. Just out of curiosity, what kind of $$ are you looking at? The guy here in town said that at the RV show in Feb the price will be in the $24,000 range.

I have seen in Ohio that they are looking around the $19,000 but want $2450 to ship it to Sweetgrass border crossing.

I think that the outdoor kitchen would be pretty sweet, except that the door doesnt quite open up far enough for me. I will just have to learn to duck an inch or 2.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #10

Kev,

My contract is $2500 (tax in) and with the equalizer hitch. I sure there are better deals around but the dealer, Guarantee, is on HWY1 and only 20 minutes from our house.

I'm not a tall guy. The height of the door is not an issue.

I'm sure you will get similar price at the RV show, provided the exchange rate is favuorable. What I worry about is that the Canadian dollar is not going to be as strong as it was when the dealer ordered what is still currently stock. That will make a substantial in price if the dealers are stuck with higher rates in 6 months.

What I can also tell you is that several other dealers, such as Jayco (Western RV) and Areolite (Sunridge RV) are both very aggressive.

If Friday's test drive doesn't work out, I'll do a bit more shopping before I make another offer.

In general, I like the services I received so far from Guarantee.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
Kev

"My contract is $2500 (tax in) and with the equalizer hitch. "

Wow!! What a deal!! Sign me up...Oh wait, you prob missed a 0

I will be going to the RV sale in Feb, and will prob do it there. Thanks for the help.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
295, surveyor