Old 03-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #41

I purchased my 240RBS on Sept 28, 2015. I travel for work every week and got tired of staying in hotels. So, I bought an RV and will let my Per Diem pay for it. Anyway I thought I would share the issues I found with my trailer.

1. Slide out leaks on both sides, but the pantry side near the bed is the worst. Water is coming in through the schwintek slide out rails. When the trailer is level the side out has a slight inward tilt and water rides along the rail to the inside. It also doesn't help there is a low spot on the gutter that happens to be right over the slide out seal. So, in big heavy rains it overflows right there and runs down the side of the trailer right on the seal.

2. Slide out seal on sink side near top corner has a tear in it from the screws on the slide out sticking out too far cutting into the seal when the slide out is opened closed.

3. Toilet has a random leak. Will find water in floor near toilet after coming in from work. Won't show up again for a couple of weeks.

4. LED awning lights were burnt out, and now are completely out.

5. My dinette table is also too short and you can't really use the dinette as a bed because of this.

6. Shower door is not level and hangs on the corner making it hard to close. No adjustment really fixes this.

7. There are a few areas of cracked caulk on the trailer as well.

After finding all these issues with my "new" trailer I took it into the dealer on December 21, 2016. They said 2-4 weeks to fix issues and have it back to me. Well, I called in mid February to ask the status and they said Forest River wasn't approving all my warranty items mainly the shower door and sealing issues. They said I didn't report them within the 90 days. I told the dealer to check the dates because buying on Sept 28 and taking it to them Dec 21 is within 90 days. After waiting another 2 weeks I still heard they are waiting on Forest River to approve several items. So, I contacted Forest River customer service and let them know how dissatisfied I was of this process. They let me know that they didn't receive anything from the dealer until Feb 21, 2016. Well, that explains why it's taking awhile, lol. Then like magic all my items got approved and the dealer can start work. Hopefully it won't be another 3 months before it's repaired. At this point the dealer has has possession of it longer than I've owned it. I knew RV repairs take awhile, but I definitely didn't think it would take this long.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #42

Dealer/Manufacturer Limbo

Hey memsu, thanks for your sharing your experience.

I had the same kind of experience with our dealer and how long it took to make contact with Forest River. I think it's easy for dealers to use the manufacturer as a blame deflector. If they get behind and can't deliver services as promised, just blame the manufacturer. How are we as buyers going to know the truth.

I finally figured out that I needed to reach out to Forest River as soon as possible on ANYTHING that requires communication between the dealer and manufacturer. Then, I have to continually pepper them both with calls to make sure that they know that I know what they and the other party are actually doing. That seems to burst the dealer blame bubble...when they know that I know that they haven't done what they said they did. It's such a silly game.

Oh well, I'm still an optimist and believe I will someday get to enjoy my brand new travel trailer.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #43

Another Quick Update

A quick review:

Forest River decided to ship our 2016 240RBS back to the factory to fix a problem with a luan floor panel. They picked it up on March 7th.

I was notified yesterday that the floor has been repaired and that the trailer will be heading back from the factory tomorrow (March 25th).

So, I haven't seen the 'fix' but if all is well, I am really pleased that Forest River was able to have such a fast turnaround!

-mike
Old 03-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #44

Quick update on my unit as well.

Dealer has fixed all items except for the shower door. Forest River still hasn't approved the fix for the shower door. After contacting the dealer today to get the full story I'm even more upset with Forest River Warranty department.

Basically when Forest River approved the repair for the shower door issue they thought it was just going to be an adjustment. Well, the technician looked at it and he basically determined it was the door frame or shower door that was out of square and no adjustment can be made to fix the issue. I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I tried to adjust the door before taking it to the dealer. So, to fix that the shower enclosure needs to be rebuilt. Well Forest River didn't agree and they wanted proof so they had the dealer take lots of photos. Forest River says they can't see the issue.

Well, it is hard to see this issue sitting at computer several hundred miles away. Why don't they trust the technician assigned to work on the damn door? Customer is left in the middle between the dealer and manufacturer arguing over whether there's an issue or not.

I sent an email back to Forest River expressing my dissatisfaction with how they are handling the issue. At this point I know my dealer would get the issue fixed right away if they approve what needs to be done. The warranty representative basically told me they now want the vendor to inspect the shower which would include dealer disassembling the shower frame/door, have the dealer ship it to the vendor, the vendor would then inspect the parts, most likely determine issue from factory, new parts made, then shipped back to dealer to fix.

No telling how long that will take. Trailer has been at dealer 3.5 months right now. That's going to add at least another month or two if I'm lucky. It's going to be at the dealer for more than half of the first year of warranty. I'm also losing about $800 a month by not being able to utilize the trailer. I travel for work, so staying in hotels instead of in my trailer.

Anyone have a contact for a higher level representative in Forest River that can help me? I'm pretty sure I burned the bridge with the contact I've had with my last email to them.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by memsu View Post
Quick update on my unit as well.

Dealer has fixed all items except for the shower door. Forest River still hasn't approved the fix for the shower door. After contacting the dealer today to get the full story I'm even more upset with Forest River Warranty department...
Hey memsu, sorry to hear about your ongoing struggles. I definitely feel your pain. My story isn't too dissimilar.

One thing I did learn (and the hard way I might add) is that our dealer's service department wasn't exactly honest in how and when they submitted repair approvals to Forest River. I would call my service rep weekly and was always told that they were waiting for approval from FR. Finally, after a couple months of 'waiting', I sent an email and called Forest River and left a message asking why it was taking FR so long. Later that same day FR called me back and said that they had just received the service request earlier that week from the dealer. They had the date of the submission in their computer!

Long story short, our dealer's shop took almost 4 weeks to submit the request!!! Forest River (to their credit) approved it in less than 3 days. There were 2 other similar fibs my dealer fed me that blamed FR but I'll spare you having to read a novel. To make long stories short, our dealer told half truths to cover their bacon. They did continue their process towards getting things repaired, but their communication with the manufacturer is slower than molasses. In the interim, our trailer sat on the dealer back lot in the mud. It really pissed me off and I started taking the trailer back home while waiting for approvals.

Anyway, once I figured that out I just kept hounding (albeit as nicely as possible) my service rep and stayed in constant contact with the warranty folks at Forest River so that I could see what was REALLY going on and to keep pressure on our dealer by letting them know that I was in constant contact with FR. This made a big difference but it's so SAD that the buyer has to do so much work to get things done. If our dealer would have been half as committed to servicing what they sold as they were to selling it, our troubles would have been nipped in the bud.

I found that Forest River was WAAAAY more diligent in how they processed claims than what I was led to believe...and that they were WAY better in communicating with me than our dealer.

The people that seemed to work well with me and kept me in the loop were Susan Thornburg and Jessica Wiggins. They work in the Rpod and Surveyor Warranty department. They were polite and proficient. I let them know that I appreciated their efforts and they kept keeping in the loop. Their contact information is in an earlier post to this thread.

Anyway, I hope they can get everything straightened out quickly for you. I know this stuff is so frustrating!

Keep us posted on how things progress and best regards.

-m
Old 04-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #46

Good News!!!

Dealer informed me yesterday they have the approval to rebuild the shower stall.

So, hopefully this won't take too long once the parts are in. Dealer said my email to Forest River must have done something since they've been waiting for the approval for awhile now.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #47

Knock on wood! This is a scary thread. My model is similar to the 240. I've been very impressed with the lack of issues in our first year (70 nights camping). Not trying to pour salt on the situation...just surprised to read this thread.

I've done a fair bit of mods, and am also impressed with the construction I see behind the walls, ceiling, etc. Nicely made trailer. I've had junk before, and know what it looks like. Unfortunately.

Best wishes that everyone's problems get resolved soon.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
Knock on wood!
...Best wishes that everyone's problems get resolved soon.
Thanks tragusa! I hope chronicling my experiences doesn't put any 240RBS owners out. I really do like our trailer. All of the issues were relatively minor but the biggest frustrations had more to do with the communication pitfall between dealer and FR. In my situation FR did me right. They even extended my warranty an extra year!

I plan on using the dog out of it this year!
Old 04-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by memsu View Post
Good News!!!

Dealer informed me yesterday they have the approval to rebuild the shower stall.

So, hopefully this won't take too long once the parts are in. Dealer said my email to Forest River must have done something since they've been waiting for the approval for awhile now.
SWEEET! Hope it goes fast and smooth!
Old 04-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #50

The Prodigal has Returned!

Well, our 240RBS DID come back from the factory last week and the floor has been repaired!! Woot!

It took 7 months with lots of patience and lots of pestering (especially to keep Camping World moving) to get all of our original shakedown issues taken care of.

The final remaining issue with our floor was a manufacturing issue and Forest River came through! Susan Thornburg and Jessica Wiggins in the Warranty department did me proud by expediting the pickup, return to factory, repair, and return to home within 3 weeks total!

Now, to take it out and make sure everything is in ship shape. 2016 maiden voyage to Bruneau Dunes State Park this weekend (even if it is supposed to be breezy, overcast, and cooler)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surveyor.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	104669  

Tags
surveyor