Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaughman View Post
Well, we just purchased a new 2015 240 RBS two week ago.
Congrats on the new trailer. We had a few issues early on but we are really loving our trailer. The outdoor kitchen is awesome and the layout is great for a couple. It even performs well when one of the kids crashes our party. :-)

Quote:
...we also are Empty nesters and have KID's that live in Meridian, ID. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW! Small world. Where do you call home?

Quote:
Ordered the back up camera, will be in next week.
We installed a Furion rear camera too. We bought the 'high speed' model so that we could use it while driving down the road. Ours was wired for 'backup only' so I had to do a quick rewire and tap into the running lights for power. The default bracket wiring was tied to the 'reverse' lights so it would only have power when the tow vehicle was in reverse. The mount was right by one of the running lights so I tapped into that power supply so that the camera has power whenever the running lights or headlights are on.

Hope your maiden voyage goes smoothly. We love the memories we are building together in this trailer!
Renderspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #82

Hi All,
Last year we purchased a NEW 2014 surveyor sp240, which is very similar to the 240RBS. I initially thought the omni-directional fixed antenna was crap. i couldn't pull in many of my local channels when parked in my driveway, and i mean channels that I could get on my portable Winegard Razor in the house. That was, until the Jensen TV in the trailer went out. Dealing with the RV dealer was another whole issue, and I ended up working directly with ASA electronics to get the TV warrantied. I shipped the TV to them (at my expense) and I am waiting to hear back on a replacement. However, I wanted a TV for my upcoming trip so I bought an inexpensive TCL 28" from Amazon. The new TV picks up several more stations than the Jensen TV and most, if not all, are virtually clear of any freezes or pixel issues. i think the problem is the Jensen TVs not the antennas.
jcarenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #83

Converter not charging battery bank sufficiently

Has anyone had issues with their batteries not getting a full charge from the converter? i have a 2014 Surveyor sp240. I upgraded from the Interstate group 24 to a dual Interstate 6 volt GC battery bank wired in series. I thought everything was good until we dry camped for a few days earlier in August. I found that the batteries were not fully charged, and showed signs of being near depletion after only a few hours of normal use. This was after being connected to shore power for several weeks before we left on the trip. When I got home, I plugged the camper back into shore power for a couple days. When I had some time, I disconnected the battery bank from the camper and hooked up my Schumacher 2/10/15 amp 3 stage automatic charger and tester. I was surprised to see that the batteries were not in a full charge state. I had to run the charger at 15 amps for about 9 hours to get the batteries to a full charge. Is this an indication of a bad converter or are these converters actually not putting out enough voltage to charge a true deep cell battery bank? Any suggestions on a good upgrade to the stock converter, that i can install myself?
Old 08-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarenz View Post
Hi All,
Last year we purchased a NEW 2014 surveyor sp240, which is very similar to the 240RBS. I initially thought the omni-directional fixed antenna was crap. i couldn't pull in many of my local channels when parked in my driveway, and i mean channels that I could get on my portable Winegard Razor in the house. That was, until the Jensen TV in the trailer went out. Dealing with the RV dealer was another whole issue, and I ended up working directly with ASA electronics to get the TV warrantied. I shipped the TV to them (at my expense) and I am waiting to hear back on a replacement. However, I wanted a TV for my upcoming trip so I bought an inexpensive TCL 28" from Amazon. The new TV picks up several more stations than the Jensen TV and most, if not all, are virtually clear of any freezes or pixel issues. i think the problem is the Jensen TVs not the antennas.
Do you have the little antenna amplifier button next to the antenna cable connection? It's easy to accidentally turn on and off. It's possible it was off, and removing your old TV or installing your new one, you turned the amplifier on. There should be a small LED lit when it's on.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #85

Good point, but yes, i did have the amp on. When off, nothing comes in.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Do you have the little antenna amplifier button next to the antenna cable connection? It's easy to accidentally turn on and off. It's possible it was off, and removing your old TV or installing your new one, you turned the amplifier on. There should be a small LED lit when it's on.
Yep, I'm a long time RV'r. and I know about the antenna amps.�� This is the first one we have bought new that came with a TV. It doesn't surprise me that the TV included is less than ideal. In fact, the newer TV, (28" vs 26") is even 15% more power efficient. I really wish these manufacturers would realize that most serious RVer's would gladly pay the extra few hundred dollars to have adequate accessories included with our 20-30 thousand dollar RV purchases.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #87

My cheap Wal-Mart Insignia TV in the bedroom picks up better than the Jensen.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #88

Great weekend @ Lake Cascade Idaho
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1472489877053.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	118737   Click image for larger version

Name:	1472489903765.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	118738  
Old 10-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #89

Quick Update on our 240RBS Journey

Well, it's been just over 1 year for us owning our 2016 240RBS. All in all, we love camping in it. the layout is awesome and we were really able to put it through it's paces this summer on excursions all the way from Arizona and the Grand Canyon up into the mountains of Northern Idaho. It's been a blast!

That being said, we've had a good share of troubles and I've chronicled them in previous posts after starting this thread. I figured it might be good to bring you up to date with a few more issues that we've ran into after really being able to use the trailer.

Slide Out Issue - After using the trailer for a few months, we started having issues with the slide sticking on one side. Initially we thought it was just out of sync but the problem has become continually worse even after re-syncing multiple times. We've taken it to our dealer and they have submitted approval forms for misaligned Shwintec rails that causes one side to bind up.

Front Cap Oxidation - Our front cap is oxidizing terribly. I've been good about washing and waxing but the amount and speed of oxidation has been jaw dropping. After talking to FR they have had me submit bids for repairs. Our service rep at our dealer said that there was an issue with a bad batch of gel coat on a few Surveyor trailers. Looks like I got lucky. :-( I'm attaching a picture.

Shower Drain Leaks Underneath - We discovered this while boondocking on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. When we use the shower, water leaks from the enclosed mesh underneath. it doesn't leak into the trailer, just underneath. Probably something where it ties into the grey water tank.

Bedroom Pocket Doors Falling Off Hangers - We had just arrived in Moab, UT and discovered that one of the bedroom doors had fallen off the slide hangers and was stuck in the door pocket. Upon close examination, the screws that held the hangers had stripped out of the soft wood frame of the door. I used some wooden matchsticks to help shrink the holes in the door frame and re-inserted the screws. It is a temporary fix that got us home but the thread and /or screw size just can't handle the weight of the door jostling around.

That pretty much brings us up to date after one full summer of use. We are currently waiting for our dealer to gain approval for these repairs before we are beyond our warranty period. By far, the slide and front cap oxidation are our biggest concerns.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oxidized.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	122270  
Old 10-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #90

I'm in the process of shopping for a TT and the Surveyor 220 & 240 are high on my list. One thing I haven't been able to determine on line is the power source for the outdoor kitchen refrigerator. Is it propane & 12 v or????
Cz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cz10 View Post
I'm in the process of shopping for a TT and the Surveyor 220 & 240 are high on my list. One thing I haven't been able to determine on line is the power source for the outdoor kitchen refrigerator. Is it propane & 12 v or????
Don't quote me, but almost every one I've seen is a typical 110VAC "dorm fridge." So they don't cool going down the road unless you've got a hefty inverter and thick 12VDC line from your TV.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #92

That's what I suspected. I'm going to look at a 2014 220 tomorrow. I like the larger bathroom and what looks like more main area storage of the 240 (but the "tub" in the 220 might keep the floor dryer). But there are no 240s within 500 miles that I see and only one 220 and that's where I'll be (Fresno, CA) tomorrow.
Cz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #93

Ya, the fridge is ac 110. I haven't seen any models with a gas fridge in an outdoor kitchen. The ventilation needed and potential for gas to pool internally makes it difficult.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #94

new owner

just returned from a short camping weekend trip after picking up our 240rbs last thursday. 500 km round trip, rode like a dream.
love everything about the unit so far, layout, tons of storage for what we need, as it is two of us for the most part, occasionally hauling 2 kids with us.
we had the unit winterized when picked up so we did not get to try out any water systems.
things we don't care for, led awning light is very bright, I felt we lit up like a gas station. bed is not the most comfortable, nothing a foam topper wont help with.
jetoem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #95

Anyone know where to look if my running lights don't come on? All other lights and trailer brakes work. Just no running lights or camera. I checked the fuses under the table, all are good.

Thanks
philscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #96

Figured it out. Fuse in truck is bad.
philscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:04 AM   #97

All's Good! (finally)

Just a quick update on our ongoing efforts to get everything on our 2016 Surveyor working as it should. I'll spare the details of our journey only to say that it is chronicled in past posts in this thread.

We picked up our trailer yesterday from the Camping World Boise, ID service department. I have to say that this last round of interaction has been better than expected. In fact, they did a great job.

So, without further delay, they fixed our slide issue, repaired a cabinet door, repaired a leaky pipe joint under the shower, installed a slide topper, and replaced the front cap. It feels like a miracle, but we have all of our main issues resolved. It only took a little over 16 months.

Now, I can't wait till spring! Here's a before and after for the gel coat/oxidation issue we had:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oxidized.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	129276   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170203_135858-1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	129277  

Tags