Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

Bad luck with recall!

Well I just returned from the local FR dealer having my recalled sky light replaced. I was very concerned over taking a new trailer that had really no sign of any issue with the sky light to have it repaired. I took it on a Monday after work and went to pick it up Tuesday after work. I got on the roof to check out the work and boy I'm still kicking myself in a##. It looked like it was installed by a 3 year old. The roof material was bubbled all the way around the skylight. I hit the ceiling and made no friends at the dealership. I left it for them to take another wack at it and today (Thursday) I was informed that the dealer believes that the sealant that was sent to them from FR was the cause of the bubbles ..... (jury still out on this one) FR said let it go for 30 days and it should return to 80-85% of normal. Well I wish I could have brought the trailer at 80-85% price. The only true fix is to replace the entire roof! Let this be a lesson to the kids...If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Sounds like this dealership's back shop needs a review in the review section.
I would certainly not be generous.

Oh, wait till you get it back from them.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #3

Is there info out there somewhere on what units may be involved in the skylight recall? Or for that matter, ANY Forest River or suppliers' recalls?

Thanks in advance.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt. Mike View Post
is there info out there somewhere on what units may be involved in the skylight recall? Or for that matter, any forest river or suppliers' recalls?

Thanks in advance.
look under the surveyor section for sky light recall.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
I can't help but believe that the sealant can be removed-I have removed old Dicor with a heat gun and was time consuming-reglue the loose roof and then reinstall the skylight. Don't know what FR recommended but if it wasn't Dicor I would ask that it be removed and replaced with Dicor.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #6

THAT'S the reason I did mine, myself. I used a very sharp wood chisel to remove the old sealer and was very careful to stay out of the roof membrane. I was again careful with the new sealant and gooooooey tape when everything was put back. It cost me a couple of hours work but I'm happy with the result. Sometimes the bubbas at the dealerships are a bit slow on the uptake, but sometimes they're great... too much of a crap shoot. If you find a good shop, you're very lucky.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #7

I have had my skylight replaced in June of 2012 and again in may of 2013 due to cracking . this last repair also looked like a three year old did the job. picked it up on a Saturday , got home 80 miles away from dealer and decided to inspect. rubber roof material was all rippled all the way around skylight.they also used a different caulk then before. done with the work this dealer does
Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #8

How do these places stay in business?
I wonder if they used something like mineral spirits to "clean" the old caulk off the roof membrane?
They might have caused permanent damage, so I would have it inspected by someone who knows what they are doing, and certainly not the idiots who made the mess.