Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

Battery ground?

I have a used 2009 186SPT, which I am just getting ready for the camping season. In looking at the battery wires, I have two questions. One, I do not see a ground wire, just the two battery terminal wires...should there be a ground wire or is the electrical system grounded in some other fashion?

Second and don't laugh, the battery terminal wires are red and blue. Am I correct in assuming that the red is positive and the blue negative? I want to make sure because on our popup, the white was negative and the black positive.

Thanks for your help!

RM Drifter
rmdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #2

To my knowledge, the RV industry does not have an electrical standard.

One of the two wires should be attached to the frame. Follow each wire to see where they terminate. The one attached to the frame, is the ground and should be connected to the negative battery terminal; the other goes to the positive terminal.

I would not assume that the red is positive and blue is negative. It is best to trace the wires, as described above, to be sure.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the instruction, and I will follow the wires. Don't know why my popup had a separate ground..oh well, doesn't matter.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #4

Followed wires per your instructions, lo and behold, the black is connected to the frame (ground, negative) and the red (not blue, I must be blind) is hot or positive. Thanks for the suggestion and education, and I really appreciate this forum.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #5

Your welcome. Glad I could be of help and that things worked out.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #6

I am having a problem hooking up new 6v batteries, will you advise?

I removed the dead interstate 12v batteries and have a diagram for wiring the new 6v batteries in series. The problem is there are 3 red battery cables and I don't know what these wires connect to! My 2004 lexington class B has no wiring diagram and Forrest River doesn't supply one!
bill2004lex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery