Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #1

Bike rack/spare tire question

When you fold down the bike rack that makes the spare tire awfully close to the ground. Has anybody drug the spare on the pavement?
Maybe I should take the spare tire cover off so that it doesn't get torn up.
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

Why not just remove it and put it in the TV?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

If it's in the bed its easier to steal. I may just have to leave the rack down and move the spare tire mount to the top side. It will take up some room but at least won't drag on the ground.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
If it's in the bed its easier to steal. I may just have to leave the rack down and move the spare tire mount to the top side. It will take up some room but at least won't drag on the ground.
Mine is welded to the rack, so I am getting a BAL Hide--a-Spare to put it underneath the rear of the trailer itself. Great idea.

rvupgradestore.com
Old 10-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Mine is welded to the rack, so I am getting a BAL Hide--a-Spare to put it underneath the rear of the trailer itself. Great idea.

rvupgradestore.com
Mine is welded to but my plasma cutter can remove it in a few minutes. I will look into your idea of using that mount and putting it under the trailer, that way I can still fold the storage rack up if I want too.
If you buy that and get it installed, please post here how you like it.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Denver, CO

Quote:
Mine is welded to but my plasma cutter can remove it in a few minutes. I will look into your idea of using that mount and putting it under the trailer, that way I can still fold the storage rack up if I want too. If you buy that and get it installed, please post here how you like it.
It's on order and when it gets here I will post the install. I got mine through makarios rv, which I love to deal with, but it is not on their online catalog yet.

BAL just began producing them and mainly is targeting the OEM market, so is not actively marketing them to aftermarket. I think they are a great solution to hanging them on the back of the units and more secure. Not cheap tho.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

I took a look under my Surveyor. It's so low to the ground that if I mount it underneath it's going to hang down really low. If you have a trailer that is higher off of the ground or that doesn't have an enclosed underbelly that tire mount would work good.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
I took a look under my Surveyor. It's so low to the ground that if I mount it underneath it's going to hang down really low. If you have a trailer that is higher off of the ground or that doesn't have an enclosed underbelly that tire mount would work good.
good point. my vcross has loads of clearance and my install is behind but close to the axles so will be okay i think
Old 10-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
I would guess that the bottom of the rear rack is way out of the question also, if you have that low a clearance. How about at the front of the rack and the bike's behind it?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #10

With my Grey Wolf I would remove the tire from the rack. Seemed to have too much weight out too far for my liking when the rack was down. Not a big deal, lockable cable min the bed of TV secured it. I also had a topper on my truck so that helped. Bikes would ride inside the topper OR on the rack. Just depended on how many bikes and what else I was taking.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Denver, CO

Install

Preliminary install (still got to put in the 4 bolts to finish the install) but I received the VERY well packaged BAL Hide a Spare from Makarios RV.

Unpackaged the unit.

Slid it under the back of the camper.

Measured and Clamped the pivoting end.

Clamped the sliding end.

Placed the spare tire on the rack and verified the fit.

Done. Took an hour.

I need to get 4-5/16 in bolts to finish the install (didn't come with the kit). I am very impressed with the product, but it is a special order and take a little bit of time to get it. Recommended Mod... IMO, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-22 13.54.05.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	41603   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-22 13.59.32.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	41604   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-22 14.48.52.jpg
Views:	162