Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Breakers?

Two times now I've had a 15AMP breaker thrown and, from my standpoint, for no apparent reason. The scenario this time: Trailer hooked up to shore power at home. Is this a common occurrence and why does it happen at all? Thanks!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter View Post
Two times now I've had a 15AMP breaker thrown and, from my standpoint, for no apparent reason. The scenario this time: Trailer hooked up to shore power at home. Is this a common occurrence and why does it happen at all? Thanks!
What is running in the camper when the breaker trips? Could just be a bad breaker. I would suggest unhooking from shore power and removing the breaker and going to Lowes/HD and get a replacement.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #3

Nothing was running at all...just getting ready to do the dual battery project when I noticed that I had no power to inside lights, etc. Good idea about replacing the breaker--will do and thanks.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #4

Is the breaker a GFCI breaker? If so that is likely your problem. Otherwise you may have something running that you don't realize and that combined with whatever else that breaker is feeding may be overloading the circuit. As an electrician I don't often see a breaker go bad unless it won't reset or has a spongy feel to the handle.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
Is the breaker a GFCI breaker? If so that is likely your problem. Otherwise you may have something running that you don't realize and that combined with whatever else that breaker is feeding may be overloading the circuit. As an electrician I don't often see a breaker go bad unless it won't reset or has a spongy feel to the handle.
As an electrician, you probably don't run into the cheap a-- breakers that are put in rv's. I think they are all rejects.
I had to replace 2 in my 08 Flagstaff and that cured the problems. One would trip with a clock radio and the other with 2 table lamps with 75w bulbs.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

Yep, come to think of it, I had the GFCI trip once before too and took me a few minutes to figure that one out. I agree that these TTs with few exceptions are cheaply constructed. Been interesting for an "un-handyman" like myself to learn the maintenance procedures so that we can continue to roll. And this forum has been really helpful in that regard. Thanks again to all those who post responses to my pleas for help and information--I really appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
What is running in the camper when the breaker trips? Could just be a bad breaker. I would suggest unhooking from shore power and removing the breaker and going to Lowes/HD and get a replacement.
I have also replaced two breakers in my unit, the main 30amp and the microwave 15amp, with NOTHING else running my microwave would ALWAYS trip its own 15amp and main 30amp breaker, tested all connections and microwave itself and determined that the 15amp/30amp breaker was either
A) getting to hot being right next to each other (dual switch breaker) or
B) just a faulty/weakened breaker

I replaced both breakers with individual switch breakers and relocated the microwave breaker away from the main 30amp breaker, all issues resolved!

I will still occasionally trip a breaker using the microwave in the heat of the day WITH the A/C on, at night or cooler weather I have no issues!? anyone else experience this?

I also replaced a couple breakers in my old unit, I can not remember why anymore, but I was glad to have some extra breakers (that fit) laying around!
2011: 365
2012: 365
Fulltimers
viperjpm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter View Post
Nothing was running at all...just getting ready to do the dual battery project when I noticed that I had no power to inside lights, etc. Good idea about replacing the breaker--will do and thanks.
OK, no power to inside lights is a BIG FAT clue.

What breaker are you talking about? Was it a fuse or a 120 volt AC breaker?
If it was a 120 Volt 15 amp breaker, most likely it was the breaker to the converter. You may have converter troubles.

Try to listen for the converter fan when you reset the breaker.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker