Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #1

bumper

does anybody know if the bumper on a 2012 sv305 can handle a hitch haul. i would like to mount a class three reciever to the bumper so i can haul a generator some gas. at times i would like to put bikes on it to.
nottme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Always Learning

The bumper, no.

Possibly a frame mounted hitch, but you have to keep your warranty in mind for the frame itself.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #3

The bumpers flimsy would bend and flex, the welds would then break and you will be dragging your generator and gas until it falls off and shatters.... (been there done that). After you are no longer under any warranty, have a professional welder cut your junk bumper off and install (weld) a 4 inch square pipe http://www.allmetalsinc.com/steel-square-tubing.html . Reinforce it to the framing and go for it. Remember about the added weight of bumper/cargo and what it will do to the tires and tongue weight and flex of the unit frame.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

I have an sv305 and I wouldn't recommend a generator hanging off the back end of these trailers...

I tow a second trailer, a jet ski, behind my by a bumper mounted hitch but it hardly weighs anything.

I also don't like the idea of having that much weight in the back of the trailer anyways. I actually relocated my spare tire to the front, added a second battery and a 140 pound steel plate to the tongue to help the trailer tow better as I didn't feel there was enough tongue weight the way it was...

here is a link to the tongue weight mod I did if you are curious...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ght-56648.html

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
The bumpers flimsy would bend and flex, the welds would then break and you will be dragging your generator and gas until it falls off and shatters.... (been there done that). After you are no longer under any warranty, have a professional welder cut your junk bumper off and install (weld) a 4 inch square pipe Steel Square Tubing | AllMetalsInc.com . Reinforce it to the framing and go for it. Remember about the added weight of bumper/cargo and what it will do to the tires and tongue weight and flex of the unit frame.
Ditto that! I almost left my Honda eu3000is in the middle of I-95 a couple years back when the tube bumper actually collapsed and dropped the cargo carrier with the gen down to within 12" of the road. Search this forum on this subject. There are many posts and discussions. BTW, I had a 2005 Flagstaff FW...but most of the TTs and FWs use the same tube bumper.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Site Team

as others said, you would have to have the receiver welded and braced to the frame and bumper.
BUT, since this is an ultralight frame, doing such a mod will void the frame's warranty, which is usually for 5-6 years long.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #7

thank you everyone for the in put.time to get rid of the yukon xl and just buy a truck that will tow it. thanks again
Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #8

Have you towed this trailer with the yukon yet?!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

lol yes i have about 10 times. the farthest has been 60 miles.it tows really good and doesnt lack power at all. i know its over the weight for the yukon but its what i have for now. i left the wife so money was tight. i am looking for a truck now and hope to have one before summer is over. i will be towing it to oc maryland(from sj) two times in may this year.the yukon is an xl with tow package. 3.73 gears and 5.3l. i bought it used for a smaller trailer i had and never used it for that trailer the wife wanted something bigger now its all mine.i do have the p3 for brake control and a hensley hitch. the yukon has self leveling shocks from gm (not air) and i put air bags in the back but it tows best with 20psi in the bags.i have k&n cold air intake and 3in flowmaster 70 series muffler
Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #10

Awesome! Was just curious!

How do you like the Hensley?

Also, when you get a chance you should fill out your signature (below your comments) as well as some personal info like the state you are in and such... Kind of nice to know where people are and what they have. Helps with some of the feed back comments!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #11

on the highway i run 60-65 the yukon really likes 65-70. od off towhaul mode on. mpg are about 8-9 till i get over 65 then its like 7-8. thats why i keep it lower. i am debaeting on the truck to get. it will be mostly for tow not much daily use. want 3/4 ton dodge or ford not sure of gas or diesel. i like the dodge with the 5.7l gas but seam harder to find and when i do they are high in price. buying used that is.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #12

i love the hensely glad i bought it. wasnt sure at first but very happy after i bought it.wouldnt tow without it. even easier to hock up.