Old 12-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #1

Bunk ladder for SV235

Here is my first addition to my SV235 Surveyor. Not sure why Forest River did not include one with the camper but I was able to make one that is quite suitable for our needs. I had it painted white but when I set it in place my wife noticed the color stood out, So I took a door off one of the cabinets and went to Lowes and had the color matched. The color is off white and that really made the difference. Very pleased with the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder01.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	577   Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder02.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	578   Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder03.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	579  

Old 12-25-2007, 10:09 PM   #2

SWEET
give that guy a gold star
interesting they dont provide a ladder. looks likes the young lady likes it fine

thanks for the mod

Old 12-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #3

didn't provide a ladder on my Thor either so I also had to make one

Nice Job on your ladder Cyclicpitcher!
Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #4

Thanks!

Thanks Guys, Not sure what the logic is with FR not providing a ladder. I read somewhere some units come with the ladder hidden under the matress. I couldnt find one.
I enjoyed building the ladder, it's amazing what you can do with the right tool. I bought one of those foldable squares they use to make staircases. Not sure what you call it but it was about 8 dollars, has a water level in one side and a metal blade as the foldable square part. Worked like a charm to do the layout and setup the angles.
I am off work for a few days need to build something else since I have the matching paint leftover. Maybe some more shelves here and there!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Haven't seen a ladder included by a manufacturer in a while. I'm willing to guess that the non-provision of a ladder is a liability thing... if they don't provide one, you can't sue them for your child falling off it or off the bunk they used the ladder to climb up on unattended. Illogical given that they provide the bunk bed, but in this post-McDonalds-coffee-lawsuit world, logic has little to do with it.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 AM   #6

Hello from Vancouver,Canada. We have a 235RKS on order and while we were looking at it we thought this should have a ladder. You did a excellent job. I was also wondering is your tow vehicle a Honda, and what your towing capacity. I have V8 Pathfinder with a 7000 lbs tow capacity.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 AM   #7

Tow

Hi Wittal,
The 235 RKS, rear king slide is an extremely nice trailer. I think you will be very pleased with your purchase.

My TV is a Honda V6 Ridgeline with 5000 lbs towing. I average about 10 mpg when towing the trailer at 60 to 65 MPH.

I think your Pathfinder will do great.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #8

Hello again from Vancouver, Do you get much sway when your on the Hiway. I'm concerned about sway because of my short wheelbase (112 inches).
Old 03-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #9

Sway Bar

I had a sway bar installed. Honda manual does not recommend a weight balance hitch but they do recommend a sway bar.

I had no sway issues on the entire ride from Altanta to Memphis and about halfway home I loosened up the bar. I hate the groaning sounds of the sway bar.

My father used to pull a lot of cows in a stock trailer and they would get to falling and the truck would go wild with sway. All he would do is reach down and apply brakes on the trailer and all sway would stop.

I am going to leave the sway bar off on this next trip and try the brake method if I have any sense of sway. Will let you know how it turns out.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Site Team

Please be careful

Cyclicpitcher, please be careful and tow conservatively with your rig. Our 235RKS weights 4,500 dry and we figure 5,500 with fluids and packed items. You may be exceeding your Ridgeline's towing capacity. Keep that sway bar cranked. Without a WD hitch, I would think that you might have the potential for some sway; especially when something out of the ordinary happens.

How do you like your 235? We haven't had the chance to use ours yet as we still have snow and it was 15 degrees the morning of March 24!!! That's a very cute little girl!!! : - )

I'm trying to get up the nerve to remove some of the underbelly to install a tornado in the holding tanks.

Bob

Tags
surveyor