Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #21

Old Cessnas used to all have similar keys. I instructed at one airport that I could use the same key to open two of the rental planes as well as the filing cabinet.
Towables keys seem to follow the same path.

BTW, we have safe places that we have a number of things stored... we usually figure out what that safe place is right after we get replacements.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I don't and never have parked my TT in a storage facility so I am completely naïve to the rules of engagement. But I have to ask, why does the management need my door keys?
I usually winterize my own trailer, but last season both of my local sources in the vicinity of the campground where I keep my trailer in Wisconsin had not yet received their shipments of antifreeze as it was still July and therefore there was no need to carry it in inventory. I had already blown out my lines with my compressor and just needed some to throw in the drains. The campground normally stocks it and was expecting their seasonal shipment in a couple of weeks so I left my keys for them to throw some antifreeze in my drains. (I'll be bringing my own antifreeze from now on!)
napercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I take it that you don't have a set of keys other than the ones you gave the storage place. I tend to over think things so I have 4 sets - one is on my key ring, one goes in the truck as a back up and 2 sets are at home on separate key rings. I used to store my TT at a warehouse storage and they required a key which is how I ended up with 4 sets.

I gave a set of keys to my wife who is normally quite meticulous about things like that thinking that if something happened to mine she was a sure bet to have hers. Well, that plan did not work out as she can't remember where she put them! As you say, three or four sets might be the way to go. Thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #24
Site Team

They'll probably turn up right after you get them replaced
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53jimc View Post
As someone else said, it isn't your problem. CG should take care of it completely, then they should send the second key to you.
Al those who have provided this solution are absolutely correct and under normal conditions I'm the first one jumping up and down crying foul. Problem is that the two Octogenarians who own the place are the most wonderful people you ever want to meet and I have had a very good relationship with them for more than ten years. The lost keys were a result of one of them being in the process of losing their memory, which is a sad thing to experience. Had his mind been a little clearer I'm sure he would have volunteered to take care of everything, but the fact is he is a little confused. Hence, I was looking for a low cost solution so that I would not have to confront them with the cost of replacing my locks. So, yes, they should be the ones to deal with this, but I guess I'm getting soft and was just looking for a more amicable way of dealing with this. Thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcusomega View Post
Is there a number stamped on the tumbler? If you bring a picture and that number to a represent dealer they may be able to reproduce it. At the minimum they may be able to Id the manufacturer of the lock, who you can then call for a replacement.

Do you have AAA? Maybe their lock out service could cover this? Or Good Sam?

Bob
Unfortunately my trailer is in Wisconsin and I'm down in Naperville, IL. I'll have to wait until next year before I go back up there again. I was hoping I could find a way of contacting Forest River to see if they have records of the keys.
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by napercussion View Post
Problem is that the two Octogenarians who own the place are the most wonderful people you ever want to meet and I have had a very good relationship with them for more than ten years. The lost keys were a result of one of them being in the process of losing their memory, which is a sad thing to experience. Had his mind been a little clearer I'm sure he would have volunteered to take care of everything, but the fact is he is a little confused. Hence, I was looking for a low cost solution so that I would not have to confront them with the cost of replacing my locks. So, yes, they should be the ones to deal with this, but I guess I'm getting soft and was just looking for a more amicable way of dealing with this. Thanks
Excellent on your part.

You're not soft, your human. Wish more people were this way.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
I'm sorry but I see no reason for my storage lot to have keys to my rig Period!! For what reason would they ever have to enter my rig??? I could possibly see them moving it around as needed, but there's nothing inside needed to do this. As far as the keys, take apart the handle and get your key code if it's not stamped on the outside. Any dealer can get one or already has one. And do your self a favor get a few extra!! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I usually winterize my own trailer, but last season both of my local sources in the vicinity of the campground where I keep my trailer in Wisconsin had not yet received their shipments of antifreeze as it was still July and therefore there was no need to carry it in inventory. I had already blown out my lines with my compressor and just needed some to throw in the drains. The campground normally stocks it and was expecting their seasonal shipment in a couple of weeks so I left my keys for them to throw some antifreeze in my drains. (I'll be bringing my own antifreeze from now on!)

As for the extra set of keys, I gave a set to my wife for "safe" keeping. Well, that did not work out as she can't remember where she put them. Your right, multiple sets are the solution...for the future.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I don't and never have parked my TT in a storage facility so I am completely naïve to the rules of engagement. But I have to ask, why does the management need my door keys?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Since your storage facility lost your keys, I'd be asking *them* to foot the bill for re-keying or replacing the locks.
All those who have provided this solution are absolutely correct and under normal conditions I'm the first one jumping up and down crying foul. Problem is that the two Octogenarians who own the place are the most wonderful people you ever want to meet and I have had a very good relationship with them for more than ten years. The lost keys were a result of one of them being in the process of losing their memory, which is a sad thing to experience. Had his mind been a little clearer I'm sure he would have volunteered to take care of everything, but the fact is he is a little confused. Hence, I was looking for a low cost solution so that I would not have to confront them with the cost of replacing my locks. So, yes, they should be the ones to deal with this, but I guess I'm getting soft and was just looking for a more amicable way of dealing with this. Thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
So your keys are probably in their antifreeze closet!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
All those who have provided this solution are absolutely correct and under normal conditions I'm the first one jumping up and down crying foul. Problem is that the two Octogenarians who own the place are the most wonderful people you ever want to meet and I have had a very good relationship with them for more than ten years. The lost keys were a result of one of them being in the process of losing their memory, which is a sad thing to experience. Had his mind been a little clearer I'm sure he would have volunteered to take care of everything, but the fact is he is a little confused. Hence, I was looking for a low cost solution so that I would not have to confront them with the cost of replacing my locks. So, yes, they should be the ones to deal with this, but I guess I'm getting soft and was just looking for a more amicable way of dealing with this. Thanks
I appreciate your compassion today more than I would have 10 years ago. At the age of 67, I'm frustrated that I can't remember WHERE I PUT MY ________________! Today I'm on the look-out for an LED flashlight and a family heirloom adjustable wrench! Now where did I put them?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #33
Site Team

One of the reasons I keep a spare key in the truck is that I will always have the truck when I'm using the TT. If I get locked out of the truck I can call AAA easily.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I appreciate your compassion today more than I would have 10 years ago. At the age of 67, I'm frustrated that I can't remember WHERE I PUT MY ________________! Today I'm on the look-out for an LED flashlight and a family heirloom adjustable wrench! Now where did I put them?
I'm almost the same age and I know what your talking about. I can imagine how frustrating it must be for the aforementioned campground owner who has got to be getting close to being 90. I admire the guy for trying to keep his business going at that age.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
One of the reasons I keep a spare key in the truck is that I will always have the truck when I'm using the TT. If I get locked out of the truck I can call AAA easily.
Yep! That's the ones I gave the campground owner assuming my wife had the other set. Opps!
Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I wish i could find that safe place also, my DW is always putting stuff there and neither of us know where it is when we need to retrieve the items.
My wife put her set of keys to the 02 Caddy up when we left for the rally last year in late July and while we were on our trip, we ended up buying the old 96 junker. We gave the 02 to our oldest son and I ask TOWTA where her set of keys were. She is still to this day trying to find them, so oldest son only has one key and a remote. I guess they'll find her set when they clean the house out after we pass.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My wife put her set of keys to the 02 Caddy up when we left for the rally last year in late July and while we were on our trip, we ended up buying the old 96 junker. We gave the 02 to our oldest son and I ask TOWTA where her set of keys were. She is still to this day trying to find them, so oldest son only has one key and a remote. I guess they'll find her set when they clean the house out after we pass.
To add insult to injury to my saga, I just got back from Wisconsin last Tuesday and as we pulled in the driveway my wife tells me that she forgot her keys to her car in a drawer in the trailer. Why she brought them...? Next question; only set? Yep, she lost the spare set along with her infamous missing set of trailer keys. So last Wednesday I got to drive back to Wisconsin to get her keys. What a fiasco!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #38

I thought I was losing my mind. Posts 22-30 had some repeats going on.

It all makes sense, I guess, on what the OP did with the keys. There are not enough people in the world that have soft hearts like that.

I keep telling myself that I'll be old one day. I hope somebody has patience with me when I get(more) confused about things.

Hope things work out.

P.S.

I have a door key hid in a magnetic box somewhere on my TT frame.
Not telling where. Hope I remember where I put it.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #39

I wonder if one from a 3D printer would work the lock and could be carried in your wallet without breaking?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #40
NELA

I thought about buying one of those combination lock key boxes to install on our 5er, but what if I forget the combination?

OC describes it well; CRS=can't remember ...ummm...stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miss my mind.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	58196  

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg