Old 05-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #11

It will save the life of a battery, if like we do store a few months, plus keeps from always disconnecting the battery cables. Before I got one, I always left mine hooked up to the battery, about 3 months of none use I would here a beeping noise in the camper, it was the low battery warning beep, I put one on right after that and turn the switch to off when not using, on our other camper, I had the original battery for 6 years before replacing by doing this.

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
talmadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016251RKS View Post
Just wondering why? What's the benefit of a disconnect?
our last camper (a 2014 Avenger) did not have one
the led lights for the stereo as well as the microwave would run the battery down when we would store the camper between camping trips, even though we shut everything down, they would all still run off of the battery, so we would have to take the battery cables off to keep from running the battery dead. the disconnect stops that from happening.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #13

our Avenger did not have one, we had to disconnect the cables (remove them) when we weren't using the camper to keep from having a dead battery when we stored it
Old 05-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016251RKS View Post
Just wondering why? What's the benefit of a disconnect?
ALL trailers should (but dont) have a battery disconnect because when you park your trailer and drive away there are small draws on your battery from things like carbon monoxide detector, radio/DVD type devices (even though they are powered off), etc that will eventually drain your battery over the course of a couple weeks...not good.

Since "Battery disconnect" was on my Surveyor's list of equipment I asked the dealer to find a third party switch & install it for free, which they did. Thanks for input from everyone.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect