Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #1

Condensation under Hybrid mattress??

We have a Surveyor Hybrid. Does anyone else have condensation develop under the mattress and does anyone have any advise on how to avoid it?? We have been able to unzip the tent part during the day and flip the mattress up to allow it to dry but that may not always be the case. All suggestions would be appreciated.
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Camping in 2011 =43
socref01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Team

as far as i know, all of FR's hybrids have fabric-bottomed mattresses. some other brands have vinyl-bottomed mattresses.
the fabric ones tend to get condensation under them because of the warm humans on top and the cold bunk platform underneath, so moisture forms.

numerous things have been tried and i've been one of them.
some have had success with Reflectix underneath. i've had limited success with it. i've also tried an wool blanket under it, again with limited success.
a poster on another hybrid forum suggested foil-backed foam building insulation sheets.
so, that's my new mod for this season. haven't had a chance to try it out. i posted pics of the mod on one of the other hybrid forums.
if it works, i'll post the pics here with an update.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Site Team

all FR hybrids have fabric-bottomed mattresses, that this is an issue with in colder weather. some other brands have vinyl-bottomed mattresses that apparently don't have the issue or it occurs inside the vinyl and not the bottom.

it happens because the mattress bottom is between the warm humans and the colder bunk platform, causing condensation.
some have had success with using sheets of Reflectix underneath. i've tried that and also tried a wool blanket. i've had limited success with these.
but a poster on another hybrid forum suggested using foil-backed foam insulation sheets that are used in construction.
i've cut one to fit on the platform and plan to attach with velcro if it works. the foil reflecting our body heat with the extra foam inbetween with the R factor, hopefully will solve the issue.
i posted pics on another hybrid forum. if it works, i'll post an update with pics.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by socref01 View Post
We have a Surveyor Hybrid. Does anyone else have condensation develop under the mattress and does anyone have any advise on how to avoid it?? We have been able to unzip the tent part during the day and flip the mattress up to allow it to dry but that may not always be the case. All suggestions would be appreciated.
When we had our Hybrid I purchased that blue foam board used for insulation (1 inch thick) and I cut the panels to fit the bunk ends under the mattress. It helped reduce the condensation. I have seen hybrids with the mattresses that have the vinyl bottom that keeps the moisture from soaking into the mattress. Warm and moist against a cold hard panel will create condensation. Try the unsulation trick, it might be just what you need
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions....I will give it a try and report back the results. In the mean time...if anyone else has any suggestions, please don't hesitate to voice them
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Camping in 2011 =43
socref01 is offline   Reply With Quote