Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Considering the Surveyor Sport SP-260 (?)

I would be very interested in hearing feedback regarding your experiences with the Surveyor Sport SP-260, which we are considering purchasing. I would tow it using an F-150 4X4 5.4L SuperCrew. The dealer is offering me one for $18,500.

Any pros/cons to this trailer would be much appreciated. We are a family of 5, all kids under age 10.

5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
We have the SP-275. We really like it. It is a 2011, no real problems, had to prime the water pump, and the sink had a fitting not tightened up. We tow ours with a Suburban 1/2 ton with 3:73 gears and a 5.3 engine. No problems towing,
Good luck,

lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Hello Dave,

We purchased the SP 260 sport last year and really like it. Also a family of 5 with 3 kids under 12. We love the triple bunkbed set-up with each of the kids having their own space. What separated the triple bunk from others for us was that each of the bunks had a window so it wasnt like a cave. Also the bunk layout is nice such that the curtain is not at the face of the bunks. When you close it there is still a bit of floor area and also an AC vent in the space. Also like the horseshoe dinette and swivel TV cabinet. We often remove the table and use the dinette as an open couch on a rainy day. It tows easily with my GMC 1500 pickup. I wish the slideout was a bit deeper but that is about my only "wish" and we seem to have plenty of cabinet and counter space. We are mostly outdoor cookers so we use a stove topper to add counter space. We moved from a Class C motorhome and dont regret the change with the extra space and ability to get out and go places while camping without having to unhook, etc. Hope this helps.

chof16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
We purchased a SP-260 last spring and LOVE IT. We are a family of 4 and my daughters are always inviting friends to go with us and the triple bunks are great. If you get one, REPLACE the queen mattress. We made it last year on the one that came with it but will be replacing it this year with the eurotop innerspring mattress from camping world. We pull ours with a 2004 F150 super crew 4x4 with the 5.4L and don't really know it is even there. We actually started towing with a Honda Ridgeline and although it pulled it fine we were concerned as we were at the very top end of it's towing specs. Found the F150 for an even trade and haven't looked back. Spend a little extra and get the Equalizer weight distribution hitch. I didn't at first and regretted it. I did get the Equalizer after the sway bar self destructed on the other brand. Love the Equalizer, so much more stable and all around a much better product. We routinely have 2 adults and 3 kids in ours and have plenty of room, even on rainy days. We researched TT's to death and kept coming back to the Surveyor for it's quality and bang for the buck. The price you have been quoted is about what we paid for ours last spring. In short, we love ours.

LunaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Lovin' our camper!!

We bought our 2011 Surveyor Sport 260 last spring as well. We loved the triple bunks and the u-shaped dinette. We have two children (13 and 9) and one on the way. We had just upgraded from a pop-up and on our very first trip, we were on the West Coast of Florida when a surprise storm came off the Gulf with tornadoes. We stayed nice and dry and didn't even feel the trailer rocking from the wind. We tow it with a 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD. We are pushing the towable limit, but with not much hilly terrain to contend with, we hardly even know we're towing it. I have no problem towing and setting up camp without the aid of my husband, as my daughter and I did a girls camping trip for her birthday. We did have a leak under the kitchen sink after a few uses (we've used it at least 6 times in the past year) and had to take it back to the dealer to have it fixed (still under warranty and we didn't want to void it). We bought our weight distribution hitch from Tractor Supply for a fraction of what other places were charging! We just attended the West Palm Beach RV Show and didn't see another camper we liked better. Happy camping!!
FL Grown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Bandit 23

Have a Chevy Traverse and we were interested in the SP260 as it listed for 4200lbs.

After looking at 2 of them they are comming in at 4500 and 4700 lbs which I think is too heavy for the Traverse.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
bandit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by bandit23 View Post
Have a Chevy Traverse and we were interested in the SP260 as it listed for 4200lbs.

After looking at 2 of them they are comming in at 4500 and 4700 lbs which I think is too heavy for the Traverse.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
i suggest you do more reasearch about towing trailers and weights, before you buy one.

you're looking at a 28' TT with a GVWR of nearly 7500lbs. to tow with a Traverse.

that's a trailer that even a 1/2 ton truck would be near its limits towing.

it sounds like you've have their UVW yellow sticker weights, which is good. but loaded for camping, they'll both exceed the Traverse's max.

although the 260 has a huge CCC that most owners would never use, the 260 would easily weigh 5500lbs.

the biggest issue will be the length and the actual tongue weight will exceed the max of the Traverse.
plus, if you don't know, the 5200lbs. tow capacity of the Traverse(i think) is with only a 150lb. driver.
so the weights of anyone or anything else in the Traverse, will decrease that 5200 number, including the weight of the WDH.

bottom line, TOO MUCH trailer.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #8

We actually have the Surveyor 260 and a Traverse. Originally I was looking for a trailer that I could pull with the Traverse. After doing the numbers about 20 different ways, I decided the 260 was a bit too heavy to pull with the Traverse FOR ME. I think we could have gotten things within the weights but it would always have been a concern and it would have been on the limits. I ended up trading in my other car for a GMC Sierra pickup. After towing the 260 for the last year, I am glad I did. At 28 feet, it is a good sized trailer and you know it is back there. Love the trailer by the way and very happy with the truck and trailer set-up.

chof16 is offline   Reply With Quote