Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #1

CPAP can work 12v, how to plug in

I have a cpap device. It can run on direct 12v power for boondocking, however I can't figure out how to access battery power for the unit. Adaptor for it is a 12v round power plug as on auto vehcile but there is none in my 2011 FR Suveyour 240SP. Need power next to bed of course.
Any ideas? Sure appreciate a knowledgable reply.

HC2
happycampers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

If there is not one than you might need to add it. Either run a new wire, maybe tap off a light in the area. Worse case what about using a jump box or similar to just have the power in the back

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Easiest way would be to run an extension. Best way is to add ( or have tech add) an outlet next to bead. Be aware that running the CPAP without the humidifier option will extend the length of time that battery will support its use.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Usually the only 12 volt outlet in the units are at the living room TV if there is even one there.

As Doc said, you can run one from the battery to the bedroom. Which may or may not be an easy task.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

For Boondocking, you will have to run a wire from a 12V Light in your bedroom. You can get the 12V round power plugs & wiring here:
https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lig...ter+plug&psc=1

Just a FYI, most CPAPs will not run the humidifier when on 12V (some high end units will though)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

some folks will run it from their tow vehicle -especially if it has a 12v outlet that does not require the vehicle to be 'on'... using a simple power inverter plugged into the vehicle outlet, run an extension cord back and into the rv, and plug the CPAP into the 120v outlet...

some of these power inverters, found at WMT and other stores, have both a 12v round connector, AND alligator clips to go directly to a battery(s)...

some motorhomes now come with a CPAP outlet setup on the wall in the bedroom - basically a standard 120v outlet running to an inverter with either a 12v or two 6 volt batteries.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #7

For my CPAP I have a battery pack. I remove the humidifier from my CPAP unit when using the battery pack to make it through the night.
The problem I have is the battery pack can only be recharged with 110, even though it has a 12 volt connection coming from it. To recharge I hook battery pack to provide 110 volt power supply and plug that into an inverter that is then plugged into my trucks 12 volt connection.
New truck has a 110 port but I haven't tried it yet to recharge battery pack. Recharging takes 2 to 3 hrs every day. The key is don't let battery pack discharge to far down.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #8

My MicroLite 21DS has a Murphy bed up front. Only power by the bed was 120 VAC. I added 12VDC outlets on the front of the cabinets beside both sides of the bed. On the street side there is a fused 12 volt wire to the hitch light but I have added a solar controller in the front storage area so I had ready access to a direct line to my batteries.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #9

I found a 12V line under my bed, that powers the slideout motor. I tapped into that and added a 3 outlet 12V female extension receptacle. You can pick those up on Amazon or any auto supply. I cut off the plug end. My CPAP 12V adapter plugs in and runs great.

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #10

If you do not want to run wires, have you considered a 12v portable auto jumper/charger? Don't know how long it would run your cpap. They do come in various sizes (amps, etc). Just a suggestion.......................

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #11

Another option...

You could also just use an independent rechargeable battery pack. Here's one that may work:

https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Re...e+battery+pack

The description even says it will work for a Philips Respironics System One 50 Series CPAP/BiPAP. Even if that is not your specific CPAP, it's got a pretty good capacity to get you through the night...

Also says that you can get a 12V car charger for it:

http://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-12-...ll+car+charger

Personally, I would not use a cigarette lighter plug to power a CPAP - they are notorious for losing the connection with little to no provocation. I would look on the back of your CPAP. I'll bet you there is a barrel connector where you plug it in. It should be marked with voltage and polarity. if it's marked as 12VDC center-positive (pretty standard configuration), you should be in business with this cable instead of the cigarette adapter you mentioned:

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Enterp...82EYQ7Q7TM6GJE

Or, you can get the adapter for the cigarette adapter you already have (but reliability of the power connection will suffer):

https://www.amazon.com/BiXPower-Ciga...RM4X8EB817MKN7

But, you can get set up for way less than $100. Don't think you can have someone modify your RV wiring for anywhere near that price.

Of course, another stand-alone option would be to charge up a deep-cycle marine battery (around $100) and put it under the bed, or in a nearby closet. Would most likely drive the CPAP for a few weeks without a problem (but they are heavy).

And, I must state that you should check with your CPAP manufacturer to verify everything before you try to rig anything up!

Best of luck!
Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #12

My battery's won't last the night when I use it.
Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursell View Post
My battery's won't last the night when I use it.
Then you have insufficient battery power, the pressure is too high or you are heating your humidifier, a big no with battery power.

The Cpap store and Cpap.com both have Li-Ion packs that will run your machine all night (no humidification) I have one. Weighs 2 pounds and is 1" thick x 5": wide x 8" long and you can couple 2 together to extend the run time (one will last all night). I recharge mine in the truck with the cigarette lighter (batteries come with adapters) or a 150 watt sine wave inverter (also available from cpap.com or the cpap store).

I use mine when I go hunting out west and sleep in a tent. I can get 2 days (nights) no problem and then charge it back up in the truck (takes 4 hours). I can deal with 4 pounds of battery pack, no issue.

Each battery pack has it's own digital volt meter and charge percentage indicator,,, They ain't cheap, around 200 bucks a pack, but they work fine and Li-Ion batteries have no memory, are unaffected by the cold and have a 1000 cycle full dscharge to full recharge cycle, well worth the money. Your hospitalization may offset the battery cost, mine didn't but it's worth a shot....

I run a Res-Med S8 Elite epr machine in the RV and hunting and a Res-Med Rem Star C-Flex machine at home

In the RV, I prefer using hunidification so I installed an AIMS 1000 watt PSW with remote switch and hardwired the output to a dedicated 110 volt plug next to the bed so I can plug in my machine, use the humidifier and 2 deep cycle group 24 AGM's run my machine for days on end, no issue. The reason I went with the AIMS Power inverter is the idle current draw (when the inverter is powered up but not loaded is less than 1.5 ma, much less than most other units plus I can shut the inverter down remotely via a push button switch (included with the inverter.

Been sleeping on a CPAP for over 18 years now. I have plenty of experience with machines and powering them in remote areas as well as RV's.

At home, I run a single battery pack in line with the line cord so if the power goes out in the middle of the night, the pack will take over and power my home machine with no interruption. It's like have a UPS system on a computer but built for a CPAP.

If you have any questions, PM me. I'm on here every day at least once, getting my RV fix.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #14

Why not grab a 12v D.C. battery from amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-E...%3A10063714011
2009 Ram 2500 5.7/3:73
cmac7203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #15

I much prefer a separate battery. A CPAP battery good for a couple of nights without the humidifier runs $250 - 300 depending on which CPAP you have. I have used a 450w starting battery for years that cost a little less than that but it is starting to loose it's reserve.

I think it's worth the cost because you then don't need to worry about your house battery or the cost of putting in that extra recepticle. It's also transferable when you up size and can be used when your power goes out at home (which is why I bought the power pack originally).
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
I much prefer a separate battery. A CPAP battery good for a couple of nights without the humidifier runs $250 - 300 depending on which CPAP you have. I have used a 450w starting battery for years that cost a little less than that but it is starting to loose it's reserve.

I think it's worth the cost because you then don't need to worry about your house battery or the cost of putting in that extra recepticle. It's also transferable when you up size and can be used when your power goes out at home (which is why I bought the power pack originally).
The one I just bought 'BPS Battery Power Solutions' was 230 on sale at the Cpap store. I just ordered another exactly like the first one but without the cables for 200 from cpap.com. The first came with the duplex cable to pair 2 batteries into one delivery cord. I'm going to velcro the 2 together, They will both fit very nicely in the ResMed case for the machine along with the 110 volt charger and the sine wave inverter so I can direct charge them from a cigarette lighter.

One battery operates my S8 Elite all night no issue (no heated humidifier) at 6.5 pressure and shows 43% reserve power in the morning so 2 should give me 3 days of completely off grid spike camp hunting before I need a charge. The batteries come with USB ports as well to run a laptop or charge a cellphone if needed. Weight is usually not a big issue, we don't pack in, we use horses or mules This one is a 5 person Elk hunt so there will be plenty of meat to pack out..

The BPS packs come with a 40 watt monocrystaline foldable panel set that folds into a notebook sized package with built in controller as an option, but I don't need that. The cigarette lighter in the guide's truck will charge the batteries just fine, and I'll use the sine wave inverter to speed up the charging.

I have to sleep on a machine or I become a zombie. Not good.

Like I said, in the RV, I just use the inverter with a dedicated 110 volt plug by the bed and plug the machine with humidifier into that that and go to dreamland. I can go a couple days on 2 group 24 AGM deep cycle batteries and still have enough ooomph to run the water pump and keep the fridge going without running the generator.

They are very compact and light weight battery packs and each has a built in digital meter than shows state of charge and percentage used.

The BPS battery packs come with adapters to run just about every machine made btw.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac7203 View Post
Why not grab a 12v D.C. battery from amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-E...%3A10063714011

It's lithium Ion...and a LOT cheaper than the "CPAP" battery packs. Like $50. Or...am I thinking about this wrong?
2009 Ram 2500 5.7/3:73
cmac7203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

You will just need to make sure the 9 ah battery is enough to keep the CPAP alive for the night. EVen if it takes more, how many to reach the required amount.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
My MicroLite 21DS has a Murphy bed up front. Only power by the bed was 120 VAC. I added 12VDC outlets on the front of the cabinets beside both sides of the bed. On the street side there is a fused 12 volt wire to the hitch light but I have added a solar controller in the front storage area so I had ready access to a direct line to my batteries.
We also have a MicroLite 21DS. It has a standard bed. I put a second battery in the battery tray installed a Charge controller because the batteries are not the same size and have the second battery wired directly to a female 12V outlet mounted in the end of the bed side counter. One side has a draw but the other just has a panel. I have a fuse at both batteries to protect against a line short. This set up works slick.
SecurityRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #20

Besides the ah rating, your battery don't have a charge capability, no digital voltage or percentage of charge left, no electronic voltage control (the cpap batteries deliver a steady 12 volts until depleted, they have internal electronics), no cables whatsoever. I have no issue spending 50 bucks or even 100 bucks more to get all that plus the BPS packs are totally enclosed in an aircraft aluminum housing.. Yours is just a battery case.

The L Ion packs are totally plug and play. About the physical size of a Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

With me, it's about integrated convenience and plug and play.

I think they are a heck of a bargain.

They will allow me to go on wilderness hunts I could never go on before plus I can plug one or the pair in line with my wall plug at home and if the power fails in the night, the battery pack takes over seamlessly, I never will know the power failed. Peace of mind is paramount with a CPAP machine.

For kicks and grins I'm going to try a double pack with my S8 at home, running the humidifier and see how long a double pack lasts. Thinking I can get at least 8 hours with humidified air on a double pack.

My Rem Star that I use at home has a stand alone humidifier so I cannot use it with the packs.

RV is no issue with the Aims PSW inverter. Just like being at home, plugged into the wall socket.