Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Decals coming off

Our 2010 SP186 Surveyor Sport, bought in September 2009, has our fancy decals and stripping peeling off. Once gone, the trailer will look like heck. Seems to me this shouldn't occur. Additionally, I'd think Forest River would want their trailers to keep their name and nice appearance longer than a few years. Any ideas or like problems out there? Thanks!
Fishfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Just a member

Our FR decal took flight on the TTs 3rd trip. However, the glue that was on the backside of the decal formed somewhat of a molecular bond with the gelcoat - it's not gonna come off easy. Not too terribly concerned about it but one has to wonder because the automotive industry has been stick'n decals on vehicles for years and they usually last more than few weeks or months. Bad prep, I suspect.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
... Bad prep, I suspect.

Entirely possible, but more likely lowest bidder syndrome......

To the OP; If FR doesn't give you any satisfaction, head to your local "decal place" like Trimline or such.

They can fab you up some new decals to cover over the spots and will probably outlast the trailer.

Well, they'll probably fade before they take flight at least....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
....the glue that was on the backside of the decal formed somewhat of a molecular bond with the gelcoat - it's not gonna come off easy.
Got thinking about getting that glue off and went at it with my favorite bug and tar remover. The WD-40 worked like a charm - no harm to the gelcoat's finish.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfireguy View Post
Our 2010 SP186 Surveyor Sport, bought in September 2009, has our fancy decals and stripping peeling off. Once gone, the trailer will look like heck. Seems to me this shouldn't occur. Additionally, I'd think Forest River would want their trailers to keep their name and nice appearance longer than a few years. Any ideas or like problems out there? Thanks!
I've thought of doing this also... but too late, for the front at least. I have an '09 surveyor, in service june of '08. You can get a clear coat plastic to cover hoods of cars and such, I believe 3m makes it. If your decals are still decent you could cover them with this stuff.

suspect it would be cheaper to have custom made decals though. It might be worth looking into if you absolutely love the decals and wouldn't want to try something different in a few years! I'm taking detailed pictures of the decals I like and will get something similar reproduced when the time comes!

I am just amazed at how cheap things seem to be made these days!

happy camping,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #6

To the Op:

If your decals are just beginning to peel, you can get a an "edge sealer" clear product that will re-adhere and seal the edges. This will stave off the inevitable for a while.

As long as too much of the decal hasn't peeled off already...

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote