Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #61

Forest River kicked us to the curb also, I'm not looking to spend 2 grand on painting it. But I am in the process of a possible wrap, I have a guy confident it will work. Hopefully I can decide on a color. I still can't believe that the shitty advertising of crap product running up and down the roads is ok with FR, must be nice to have such a big business to not have to worry about repeat customers.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Forest River kicked us to the curb also, I'm not looking to spend 2 grand on painting it. But I am in the process of a possible wrap, I have a guy confident it will work. Hopefully I can decide on a color. I still can't believe that the shitty advertising of crap product running up and down the roads is ok with FR, must be nice to have such a big business to not have to worry about repeat customers.
As you are, I am disgusted with FR as far as this fading goes. There answer to me was keep it polished. Seriously? I'm 65 years old and would need special made scaffolding to polish that severely rounded front cap. Out of warranty should have nothing to do with it as it is a known gelcoat problem with certain colors. Really surprised there is no class action lawsuit on it.

I contacted a guy about a wrap and he said sure until I showed him a pic of our nose, then I never heard from him again. My guess is he didn't like the shape of the cap and would also have a very hard time trying to wrap it.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #63

It's a known problem that I believe was subsequently solved, but some of us have no issue with FR replacing them, regardless of age. So please don't bash all of Forest River.

Think this is bad? A few years of the Polaris ATV's..........they turned absolutely purple, in the sun. Polaris did nothing.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It's a known problem that I believe was subsequently solved, but some of us have no issue with FR replacing them, regardless of age. So please don't bash all of Forest River.
Really? How is it solved when many of us are still running around with faded caps. Ours retailed for over $50 grand and started fading within the first year and a half. But since we are the 2nd owner that bought it at one year old at the dealer where it was purchased new, they won't even talk to us. Totally unacceptable.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #65

Front caps have always faded but they used to be white so it wasn't as noticable.

Ours is the dark gray that was popular for a season or two, until it was evident that this color faded quickly (less than a year). Now you rarely see that color on new rigs.

Since getting away from white, the colors are very nice looking, but require extra work to keep them that way. Even painting/repainting doesn't always work. And after they are painted, fading is much harder to deal with than plain gelcoat.

Our friends have a dark brown cap. They neglected it, it faded, they had it painted. They are now on the third front cap paint job. Only the first paint job was covered by warranty. Their paint either fades, or cracks, or both. But they do expect it to be maintenance free

I'll stick to our plain unpainted gray gelcoat front cap. I de-oxidize and wax it every six months to keep it looking decent. It takes me 2 hours with the front lowered, on a ladder, with a buffer. PITA? You bet ya! But it's what I have to do until we can get a new rig with a light colored or white cap. I do like the idea of no decals.

I doubt any RV manufacturer will come up with a solution where there is a no fade, no maintenance exterior in my lifetime But we can always hope!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #66

I like the wrape idea. I may do it myself. I have been looking for a wrape project
philscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #67
Retired Vo-Ed Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to dcummins56
I have a 2016 251 RKS, as soon as the TT was out of warranty I discover the front cap is fading. I found this thread and read it thoroughly. Here is what FS told me, the maker of the front end cap will pay $1000 towards repair for those out of warranty. Send the pictures to your dealer, they will select the best shop, and set up the appointment. I'm waiting for the appointment. The Auto Body shop told me that they fix it for around $2300. I also turned it into my insurance for a claim. You never know.
dcummins56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by philscobra View Post
I like the wrape idea. I may do it myself. I have been looking for a wrape project
Quite a few charter boats have a wrap around here...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #69

Quote:

Think this is bad? A few years of the Polaris ATV's..........they turned absolutely purple, in the sun. Polaris did nothing.
I contacted FR within warranty time frame, made an appointment, my dealer couldn't get it in so rescheduled a couple months down the road, no problem with us, we'll it was conveniently pushed out far enough to be out of the 30 month warranty from the BUILD date, not the SOLD date, FR said "Too bad" This will be reason number 1 to not buy another FR product, too bad, we actually were looking to buy another one we fell in love with. Everything happens for a reason, I guess. As far as bashing FR, they get what's deserved as far as I can see. You'd think a company this big would care enough about customers, shoot, they don't even care about a FR forum, I know they have nothing to do with it, but you'd think they would have people monitor it and fix some known problems. If y'all want to know what TRUE customer service is read a few posts on the Grand Design forum.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #70

Guess Im one of the fortunate ones. Primetime paid to have mine repainted after the 1 year warranty had expired. I was told they had extended the warranty on the caps to like 18 or 24 months.

Mike
Old 04-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #71

Quote:
I contacted FR within warranty time frame, made an appointment, my dealer couldn't get it in so rescheduled a couple months down the road, no problem with us, we'll it was conveniently pushed out far enough to be out of the 30 month warranty from the BUILD date, not the SOLD date, FR said "Too bad" This will be reason number 1 to not buy another FR product, too bad, we actually were looking to buy another one we fell in love with. Everything happens for a reason, I guess. As far as bashing FR, they get what's deserved as far as I can see. You'd think a company this big would care enough about customers, shoot, they don't even care about a FR forum, I know they have nothing to do with it, but you'd think they would have people monitor it and fix some known problems. If y'all want to know what TRUE customer service is read a few posts on the Grand Design forum.
I realize some FR Divisions don't honor it. The trailer I bought, they stand behind every one that fades. Just bring it in. I don't "deal with Dealers" any more. I don't even want them working on my trailer......they are not good at it.

So, I'm telling you that this problem is NOT Forest River wide. Some of us are getting these fixed (Mine isn't fading) no matter how long, free.

I like Grand Designs. My 5th wheel cost 1/3 of what their equivalent trailer does, though. And I have just as functional a trailer......and it doesn't weigh 21,500 dry weight. So there is that.

I get being upset. I've been there. But every problem is not Forest River wide, in every Division. Go read the Dynamax forum. Or Cedar Creek. There are good ones. IMHO, most wild frustrations are with dealers. To me, a Dealer is just somewhere to buy a trailer.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 04-29-2018, 06:54 PM   #72

Quote:
I contacted FR within warranty time frame, made an appointment, my dealer couldn't get it in so rescheduled a couple months down the road,.
FWIW, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but you said you contacted Forest River, then said you made appointment with the Dealer. So, did you contact Forest River, or only the Dealer?

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 04-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #73

Quote:
Forest River bad service is why I'm going with Vanleigh 5 th. Wheel ( vilano or beacon.) Made by the tiffin family.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #74

Yes, they make a decent product. I talked to them at a show in February. Inspected the trailer up and down. It does look good, but I will admit that I saw nothing in the Beacon (top of the line) that I don't already have.......at half the price.

But it's a nice trailer. I did like the flat top.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 04-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #75

Here's more satisfied customers.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-146052-3.html

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 04-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #76

I like my trailer, and was looking to get a bigger trailer next year. I can’t say I won’t buy another, but you can bet they will be the last company I look at.
philscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #77

Quote:
If your trying to show there's some happy coustmers out there, then don't post anything from the last year. Things change fast. Look at pissed consumer . Com. There is 1200 open complaints on Forest River for bad work.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmi View Post
If your trying to show there's some happy coustmers out there, then don't post anything from the last year. Things change fast. Look at pissed consumer . Com. There is 1200 open complaints on Forest River for bad work.
The last post on that was yesterday, not a year ago.

I'm not trying to show there are happy customers. I'm trying to let folks that read this know that not EVERY FR Division is like all the others when it comes to faded caps. I don't blame anyone for being upset with theirs. But the blame is being given to a corporation with many Divisions.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 04-29-2018, 08:32 PM   #79

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My rockwood was a 2013 that cap started fading in 2014, at the frog rally they said not much they can do. I did wax it and washed and everything. We traded it in 2017 with a faded brown cap and rear roof, same this. So it is acid rain/snow doing it we believe. All the coal fired power plants from the Ohio valley in our case.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:32 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmi View Post
Forest River bad service is why I'm going with Vanleigh 5 th. Wheel ( vilano or beacon.) Made by the tiffin family.
I looked hard at the Vanleigh before this 5er. Beautiful workmanship. Floor plans would not work.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote