Old 06-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
Paradise has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry1 View Post
First of all thanks to all who contributed to solving my brake problem a couple of weeks ago. Now I would like to know if using my hot water heater on LP only is going to be costly. I know it will matter how much hot water I use, so here is a typical scenario. Initial heating of cold water at campsite>>>washing my wife and my dishes three times>>>one shower each>>>a few washes of the hands during the day.
Lucky man! She lets you wash her 3 times a day? That's what I call squeaky clean!!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #12

[QUOTE=lbrjet;1219104]Doesn't use that much. Furnace yes, a few 30 degree nights in a row can deplete a whole tank of propane.

2X. We just turn off WH at night so it does not cycle on/ off and click click while we sleep.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #13

We only turn ours on when we need it. Takes about 5 minutes for good hot water for shower or dishes and then we turn it off. It actually stays hot for a long time.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #14

We use the same process as OldBob. No need to leave it on. It warms up quickly on electric and you don't use your propane. After being off all night we still have warm water in morning and can make it hot in minutes.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #15

Does a 6 gal. Suburban SW6DE HWH take a lot LP

Thanks again to all who contributed to my question. I now have a plan for our first trip (end of next week). I will start on electric and will fire up the LP for shower use only. Maybe I will get brave and try a shower on electric only, but I am not a fan of COLD SHOWERS!!!! I did use LP to heat up my tank here at home and was surprised how fast I had hot water. I then used electric for a 24 hour period to make sure it was working. Next, I turned off the electric around 6PM and, as others have told me in this forum, the water was still warm the following morning.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #16
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry1 View Post
Thanks again to all who contributed to my question. I now have a plan for our first trip (end of next week). I will start on electric and will fire up the LP for shower use only. Maybe I will get brave and try a shower on electric only, but I am not a fan of COLD SHOWERS!!!! I did use LP to heat up my tank here at home and was surprised how fast I had hot water. I then used electric for a 24 hour period to make sure it was working. Next, I turned off the electric around 6PM and, as others have told me in this forum, the water was still warm the following morning.
Many things will contribute to 'how long' you'll be able to go before it gets cold.

The inlet temperature of the water going into the tank is probably the biggest factor. If very cold well water is the supply, then it will take the tank much longer to recover from the cold shock than if the inlet water has been laying in a pipe just beneath the surface of the ground in a campground for hundreds of feet.

The other biggest factor is the GPM flow of your shower head.
More flow = more hot water used.

Enjoy your camping!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #17
Don't Camp Enough

When its just the wife and I, we use electric only. We will use propane when the grandkids are with us ( four this weekend!)

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suburban