Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Dometic power awning failure

Hi all,

It’s been a year!

We went camping a few weeks ago and found out our power awning isn’t retracting.

Ive done some troubleshooting and want to check if there are any other ideas out there.

I am getting power to the switch but I can’t check to seem if I’m getting power to the motor.

If I do need to replace the motor, I’m curious how in the world I get the awning to extend. Any thoughts?

Edited to clarify the awning doesn’t extend.
krekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

It sounds like the switch is failing or a wire is disconnected at the switch if your awning extends but doesn't retract. It's not the motor if it turns one way but not the other. The switch determines the direction the motor turns.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
D W

[QUOTE=krekelly;2094989]Hi all,

It’s been a year!

We went camping a few weeks ago and found out our power awning isn’t retracting.

Ive done some troubleshooting and want to check if there are any other ideas out there.

I am getting power to the switch but I can’t check to seem if I’m getting power to the motor.

If I do need to replace the motor, I’m curious how in the world I get the awning to retract. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Before I can answer your question I need to know if you have the 9100 or 9200 Series awning. Two different procedures for manual retraction. Let me know which series you have and I'll post the correct manual for you. The model number should be on the tag on the underside of the awning fabric.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
It sounds like the switch is failing or a wire is disconnected at the switch if your awning extends but doesn't retract. It's not the motor if it turns one way but not the other. The switch determines the direction the motor turns.

Unfortunately it’s not moving at all. I’m getting power at the switch but nothing at the motor.
krekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #5

First, be sure the tension knobs are loose. If that doesnt help, his might: https://liferebooted.net/life-reboot...Kb4SbtgP8Q58Th

Good luck.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by krekelly View Post
Unfortunately it’s not moving at all. I’m getting power at the switch but nothing at the motor.
If it extends you're getting power to the motor. In the "IN" position the switch merely reverses polarity to the 12V DC motor to make it turn the other way. I suspect a bad switch.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #7

Without knowing exactly what you have it's hard to say what the fix might be...I can only give you my experience with the same issue. My awning went out one fine day but wouldn't come back in without some help...turned out the motor was going bad on me till one day nothing worked. Looked it up to find out the motor is cheaply made in China and you can expect this to happen often. I simply used a cordless drill for extraction and retraction for a few camp outings but found it to be too much a pain so I YouTube'd how to replace, ordered the motor on Amazon and now have a perfectly working awning...at least for now! Hope this helps!!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #8

On my Surveyor 201RBS if you pull the switch plate off and pull all the wiring out of the hole I found a fuse for the awning. It was tucked pretty far down the wire. Hope this helps.
boatpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
RiderBloke

Awning motor

Like Tabasco I had to replace my motor. I investigated the issue a lot but gained little knowledge. The motors according to somewhere on these forums are the same as a particular vehicle car window winder! Anyway I greased the gears at the top, found the plug over the hole to allow for manual winding was missing and letting a lot of water in the motor and gear area so I put velcro over that; and also found that one of the struts was binding a bit and causing extra strain on the motor so now I spray the long rod on the struts with a dry lubricant and that works well.
I do believe that the motors are underpowered and any little bit of extra stress will cause them to stop. Also check the wiring and make sure the joins are tight and the connectors on the back of the switch are making good contact.
If I keep this 26RR long enough I will have worked on every mechanical, electrical, and structural part, in fact there’s not much left to achieve that even now.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #10

[QUOTE=D W;2095038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krekelly View Post
Hi all,

[/QUOTE]

Before I can answer your question I need to know if you have the 9100 or 9200 Series awning. Two different procedures for manual retraction. Let me know which series you have and I'll post the correct manual for you. The model number should be on the tag on the underside of the awning fabric.

I hate to high jack this thread, but my motor smelled really bad last time I used it. I am afraid it will go out this weekend. Would you please post the manual for my awning. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	204618  
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

[QUOTE=JPin AZ;2095803]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post

I hate to high jack this thread, but my motor smelled really bad last time I used it. I am afraid it will go out this weekend. Would you please post the manual for my awning. Thank you
Doing a search for Dometic 916GU17.001B you have the 9100 Power Awning.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 9100-Power-Awning_user-guide_EN.pdf (404.7 KB, 353 views)
File Type: pdf Power-Awning_installation_EN.pdf (736.9 KB, 188 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #12
D W

[QUOTE=JPin AZ;2095803]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post

Let me know if you need anything more.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 9100operating_manual_55846.pdf (3.49 MB, 108 views)
File Type: pdf Awning-Electric-A&EDometic-UserGuide.pdf (221.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #13

Dometic power awning won't extend or retract

A friend had this problem. He was getting power to the awning motor, you could hear it attempting to start but it appeared to be frozen. We removed the motor assembly and pulled the unit apart. We found that there are reduction gears attached to a disk that rotates between two spring loaded friction plates. The disk is roughly the size of a half dollar. I'm guessing that its function is to protect the motor from excessive torque. Just a guess... Any way the disk was stuck to the friction plates and would no longer turn. We removed, cleaned and reinstalled the disk and now the unit runs perfectly. The motor assembly isn't that difficult to pull apart but take careful note with the dozen or so parts and their orientation to avoid confusion during reassembly.

There are instructions on removing the motor assembly safely on the forum entry listed below. It does not cover the break down to get to the issue we found but it is very helpful when removing the motor.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-146218.html
Gadget81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #14

Sun rotted wire in corner of awning were wire goes to motor,repaired works fine
Powerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic, power