Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
I don't consider running noisy impact tools camping, why don't you just buy a normal 'screw gun/drill, like most other considerate campers use!!!
If you heard the DW and I communicating while backing the TT in, you might settle for a little ratchet noise.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #22

A true "impact" driver is really overkill for extending or retracting a stabilizer. However, that impact is not going to make any more noise than a standard battery powered drill UNTIL the jack reaches it's limit. Even then, the "impact" sound should only last less than one second. Personally I wouldn't use one because the speed is too fast, meaning running the jacks up or down that fast can't be good for long jack life.

Y'all might be confusing impact wrench with a standard battery powered drill with selectable torque release. When that torque release starts working it only lasts about ½ second, and I doubt it's loud enough to hear 100 feet away.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:14 AM   #23

I don't get it. My truck makes noise pulling in and backing into the site, the WDH groans and pops, the cheap power jack can be heard 1/2 mile away, and when I'm pulling crap out of storage its usually like beating on a drum if something is inadvertanty dropped in the storage compartment, not to mention dropping the tailgate on the truck, the stabs themselves squeaking and popping etc.

What about using a cordless drill / impact with a clicking clutch is inconsiderate? A true cordless "drills" clutch makes no more noise than a cordless 1/4' hex drive impact driver. Its not like it's a 1/2 or 3/4 inch drive Snap-On pneumatic gun down at the tire service. Like someone else said if you're not using it, or any of the above at midnight after quiet time I do not see the issue? I have only ever had one noise issue at a campground and that was when someone reported our 1-1/2 year old sick granddaughters crying during the day and not at night to a ranger, embellishing most of what the actual occurrences were. I knew who they were, but I will not post in open forum what they were.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #24
Site Team

Can we pause just a moment here????

The OP was asking what he should get to lower/raise jacks.

So we all gave our opinions.-- here's mine.

IF I had my choice and both cost about the same, I'd use a good drill driver
with about 18-20 volt battery pack. Most of those are 2 or even 3 speed gear changers. I prefer not to use an impact as
personal preference. In fact, I prefer you don't either!
I used to use my Craftsman 18 v and it would twist my wrist if I wasn't careful.
It has plenty of torque! I also use it for general around the house work. It can turn a spade bit right through a gnarly old piece of deck lumber or drill a 3/8 or larger hole right thru heavy angle iron.
It's my go to drill.
To the OP- get a good drill and use it at home too!! An impact driver doesn't work very well for drilling so I'll pass on one of those.

Just because you can make as much noise as you want doesn't mean you should. I love my truck but it's an extended cab so it only has one door
handle on each side. If I want to get stuff out of the back I have to open
both the front and rear doors. It's a pain but I like the looks of that truck
very much.
When I'm doing that- I try to shut the doors quietly even if it's mid day.
Why- because I like to try and be quiet all the time.
I wish you would too.....
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 12-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
If you heard the DW and I communicating while backing the TT in, you might settle for a little ratchet noise.
Now that's funny right there! Sounds like us sometimes and when I can't get the coupler off the hitch I have my moments!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
been there done that

I used a cordless drill and with the right technique you wont jerk your wrist.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 12-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post

Just because you can make as much noise as you want doesn't mean you should.

When I'm doing that- I try to shut the doors quietly even if it's mid day.
Why- because I like to try and be quiet all the time.
I wish you would too.....
I at least was not in anyway saying make as much noise as you want and yes, I go out of my way to be as quiet as possible.

Some of those previous posts are IMO............ahh not saying it.

Any cordless drill made if it is anywhere close to contractor grade and not a homeowner type, has a clutch, and that clutch makes as much noise as if you run one of the small cordless impact guns to the point that the impact engages for a split second. That impact seldom even engages, nor does the drill clutch if you know how to set it on a stabilizer regardless unless your trying to jack up the rig. The impact can also used to drill and actually work very well by the way, you just need to buy 1/4" hex shank bits. I've been using cordless tools professionally since they came out in the late 80's, carpenter by trade. I believe any of the previous posters who used the word "impact" mean a 1/4" hex drive as per the lower picture, and not the large air powered monster. The drill makes no more noise than the impact gun in the lower picture................

As far as brand, nothing beats Bosch IMO.

I guess just use the manual crank provided.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bosch-3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	127288   Click image for larger version

Name:	06074506161.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	127289  
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Guess I'll have to stop using my slides cause the 'ratcheting' noise they make at each end of their travel is WAY louder than any cordless drill.
Didn't realize I was being so inconsiderate!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 12-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #29

well it appears my post #16 has for some unknown reason stirred up a hornets nest,...

please, what about it is offensive?? I was agreeing with post #6 that an impact wrench is not a good style of "cordless tool" to use, ..... in the incident I mentioned, the person was at least six sites away from us and continued long enough that it was ANNOYING, ... he went on and on, side to side, front to back, ect...... it was ANNOYING to the whole cg, .... (emm-dee post #22..... you wouldn't mistake a cordless drill for an "impact" wrench would you??? ... me either)

what about my post is so bad?? YOU can mention a neighbor leaving his outside lights on all night/ a neighbors barking dog/ other campers walking across your site, or noisy children, ECT. without such ridicule, .....

Mr. Havercamp post #23, .... even though you removed it, your original post shows up as first entered in the email notice that we receive, .. and your comment about "panties" is a hint of your true character, ....

I could go on with this but won't, .... if y'all want to use an "impact wrench" in a cg, go ahead, your neighbors will "love" you for it, ......

oh, all this stuff about a torq clutch on a cordless drill being as loud as an "impact wrench" is BS ........

Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
well it appears my post #16 has for some unknown reason stirred up a hornets nest,...

please, what about it is offensive?? I was agreeing with post #6 that an impact wrench is not a good style of "cordless tool" to use, ..... in the incident I mentioned, the person was at least six sites away from us and continued long enough that it was ANNOYING, ... he went on and on, side to side, front to back, ect...... it was ANNOYING to the whole cg, .... (emm-dee post #22..... you wouldn't mistake a cordless drill for an "impact" wrench would you??? ... me either)

what about my post is so bad?? YOU can mention a neighbor leaving his outside lights on all night/ a neighbors barking dog/ other campers walking across your site, or noisy children, ECT. without such ridicule, .....

Mr. Havercamp post #23, .... even though you removed it, your original post shows up as first entered in the email notice that we receive, .. and your comment about "panties" is a hint of your true character, ....

I could go on with this but won't, .... if y'all want to use an "impact wrench" in a cg, go ahead, your neighbors will "love" you for it, ......

oh, all this stuff about a torq clutch on a cordless drill being as loud as an "impact wrench" is BS ........
For what its worth I removed nothing, and in any case it was not directed at you specifically, my true character non withstanding.

Happy New Year.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #31
Site Team

This thread is starting to drift.
Think its best to voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 12-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #32
Site Team

You guys make me tired.
Really.

Go read the paper or something.

This is all in violation of the be nice rule.

There is no good in letting this go on any longer.

Thread closed due to the sniping.

End.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Closed Thread