Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

Electrical Question

I am not electrical expert by any means. I see a lot of post and answer about extension cords. I want to get a regular household extension cord and plug into a dogbone I have found on Amazson that twist lock end to my 50 amp on the trailer and had the 110 pronge to plug into the household extension cord. I only want to use this to run the frig and charge batteries while in storage. I have a 2017 surveryor 266 RLDS TT. So the question is what gauge i should get. The other question is base on other answer I read about getting the 10 Guage. I have a 13,500 btu AC in Bedroom and 15000 BTU in Living space. Would an 10 Guage really power one of the AC units. I know not both, but really at least one if necessary. If I pull up to a friends place and 110 is all I can connect too will it run most thing in the trailer, if you do not use Micro same time as AC is running etc.
Thanks in advance for any post.
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #2

It really all depends on how long the extension cord is. I regularly run my reefer and converter off a 15 amp outlet at my home. Use a 20 foot 12 ga extension, the normal power cord, a 50 to 30 adapter and a 30 to 15 adapter. Works, no problem. Might be able to run an AC under some circumstances, but I don't want to risk low voltage. If it mattered, I could check.

Bet that 115 volt outlet you connect to has a relatively long run...on 12 ga.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

First, on the extension cord, when I used one (current trailer reaches the plug in the garage) I used a 'construction grade' extension cord the guys who built my wife's house left behind and never picked up for 10 years. It's basically the same size as the 30 amp cord that came with the TT, but had 15 amp plugs. (I should actually check it's gauge one of these days).

Secondly on the AC on 15 amp, with the TT, when we first got it, I once flipped on the AC with the TT plugged into a 15 amp in the garage, trying to cool it down so we could pack it without being in the sweltering heat. We then left for a few hours, when I got back, the breaker in the house had tripped. That's when I remembered that the dealer mentioned not to try running the AC on a regular household plug. Never ran the AC at home again.

When we got the fiver, I installed a hardwired EMS instead of the portable one I used to use on the TT. With the hardwired, I realized that the AC is actually only using about 9 amps. So, I figured that I could run the AC at home, as long as it was the only thing I ran. So, I've done that a few times. Go in the rig, kill all the breakers except the AC, then run the AC and it's worked fine. They key though is killing the breakers to everything else. You don't want to have the converter or the electric side of the water heater kicking on while the AC is running, as you'll go over 15 and blow the breaker.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronthet View Post
I am not electrical expert by any means. I see a lot of post and answer about extension cords. I want to get a regular household extension cord and plug into a dogbone I have found on Amazson that twist lock end to my 50 amp on the trailer and had the 110 pronge to plug into the household extension cord. I only want to use this to run the frig and charge batteries while in storage. I have a 2017 surveryor 266 RLDS TT. So the question is what gauge i should get. The other question is base on other answer I read about getting the 10 Guage. I have a 13,500 btu AC in Bedroom and 15000 BTU in Living space. Would an 10 Guage really power one of the AC units. I know not both, but really at least one if necessary. If I pull up to a friends place and 110 is all I can connect too will it run most thing in the trailer, if you do not use Micro same time as AC is running etc.
Thanks in advance for any post.
A 10 ga cord should be quite sufficient. I often run my trailer via a 75 foot, 12 gauge extension cord that I purchased 24 hrs ago at a Sam's club. It handles the 13.5 K air conditioner, fridge, tv, and or power tools. I've never tried the water heater on electric. The cord works fine and doesn't get hot.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical