Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #21

Purchased in 2010 July ... Nothing left, even the extended warranty is done.

The documentation which came with the unit does not show a fuse.

I have the electrical diagram for it. Thinking of feeding 12v directly into the motor and see if it spins ....when I have a chance of course
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #22

Did u check to see if you have 12v feeding it. Putting another 12v source wont work if the fuse is burned out inside the furnace. It will still act like the motor is burned out. Sounds like you have to remove the furnace, no matter what to check the fuse or take it in to be repaired. My dealer charges 1/2 hour labor to check it.
NorminN.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #23

The cables going into the furnce are getting 12 volts for sure. And I know that the thermostat is also working, I even short circuited the cables going to the thermostat in case thermostat was not letting the full amperage go through somehow.

It is either an inline fuse, or the relay or the motor. The limit switch and sail switch are both switches which come into play after the blower fan kicks in. There is no life in the motor or the relay. Not even a "TICK" sound

And yes you are right, the furnace will most probably have to come out. If I go camping this weekend I will try to see if I can locate a fuse by using a mirror like the ones dentists use.

My dealer refuses to touch my trailer because I imported it from USA Well worth the 9,000 dollars I saved if you ask me. And the money I am not paying for them to look into this is also their loss. Other than that, my local dealer is an awesome place ! I know where to get replacement parts or even a new furnace cheap in Indiana
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #24

Hey, Goomph, did u do any more checking on your furnace?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #25

I did not take it out as it got cold. I want to do it in spring when I won't feeeze my fingers. I purchased a small mirror on a flexible shaft and looked inside the unit as much as I could and only found an on and off switch in the unit itself. I reset it to no use. There is a place where it seems it is meant to hold a fuse but there is nothing there. No cables coming into that area at all.

I heat the unit with two electric fans anyways, but, I want the furnace to work too. it is nice to have warmer floor when camping in winter. And if we ever lose power while winter camping, the furnace comes in VERY handy.

One thing I noticed is, when the furnace blower fun should be turning on, I hear a distinct "click" from the AC. Is there a relay or some electrical connection between the furnace and the AC ? Do you hear a clicking sound from the AC area just before the furnace blower kicks in ?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #26

There shouldn't be any sound from the A/C unless the thermostat is set to A/C. Is the thermostat set to heat and the fan set to Auto, when u are trying the furnace. You could also shut the A/C off at the fuse panel. We will have to wait til spring, to find out what is wrong with it. Also, mine will not start unless I have enough pressure in the propane tanks. Are you sure you have lots of propane? Just thinking out loud, lol.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #27

Fan is on auto for sure ... we definitely had the thermostat set to Furnace ... Come to think of it. When I short circuited the wires going to the thermostat I do not recall hearing the click from the Ac area.

All three burners of the range are burning just fine. I am guessing that if it was low propane pressure, I would at least hear the blower fan clear the air in the furnace first and then try to light three times and go to lock out right ? It is killing me not being able to fix it but I am not attempting to take it out in 0 degrees ! And if I do take it out and if we decide to go camping, I will not be able to use the oven or the burners.

I know that I will take it out and it will be a fuse on the board ... and it will of course take 5 hours to take the furnace out !@ ^%&^%$^&%$ I checked the screws which hold it in place, and I need a rachet set holding short screws for sure. if there is a fuse, I will make sure that I extend the cables to make it accessible from outside if at all possible.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #28

LOL. It might take 5 hours to take it out the first time, but it will only take about 10 minutes the second time, providing you have room to manoever. Just make sure the gas is off and bleed it off at the stove. Then bleed the air through the stove before you try to start the furnace. I have run them on the work bench, with a battery and a BarBque tank and regulator. It usually takes me longer to put it back in than taking it out, as I triple check every thing. LOL.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #29

It will be a bear taking it out for sure ! My hands barely go into the cave it is buried in. I am pretty sure it gets installed before they put the walls in ! Why do they never think of the guys who have to maintain these things I don't know.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #30

I took the furnace out at Pokagon state park. Confirmed that the motor is solid and works, and both switches are just fine. Visited the factory and they "helped" me obtain a brand new furnace ! Awesome folks at Surveyor factory 37 for sure ! They bend backwards to keep their customers happy ! Since I had the old furnace out, I took it to one of the RV surplus places in Goshen/Elkhart and at one of the stores an elderly gentleman took out his dinosaur circuit tester thingie and spent time checking the circuit board from my old furnace.

The diagnostics failed, and he tested one of his own (I guess old, pull out boards) and it worked. He allowed me to temporarily install it with the condition that if it tested bad after the test I had just purchased it, which I agreed. Of course the furnace roared to life with the new replacement board in. I installed it and tested it and it works just fine now.

Of course after having paid for a brand new furnace, I brought it back home with me too. I feel like I cheated the factory but that was not the intention for sure. They tried to help me the only way they could, they are not a repair facility for sure.

it was my curiosity to find out what had gone wrong which lead to the old furnace being repaired. And BTW, it was a real bear to take it out and to reinstall it.

But the furnace works now

Just an update to all who contributed to the thread !
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I took the furnace out at Pokagon state park. Confirmed that the motor is solid and works, and both switches are just fine. Visited the factory and they "helped" me obtain a brand new furnace ! Awesome folks at Surveyor factory 37 for sure ! They bend backwards to keep their customers happy ! Since I had the old furnace out, I took it to one of the RV surplus places in Goshen/Elkhart and at one of the stores an elderly gentleman took out his dinosaur circuit tester thingie and spent time checking the circuit board from my old furnace.

The diagnostics failed, and he tested one of his own (I guess old, pull out boards) and it worked. He allowed me to temporarily install it with the condition that if it tested bad after the test I had just purchased it, which I agreed. Of course the furnace roared to life with the new replacement board in. I installed it and tested it and it works just fine now.

Of course after having paid for a brand new furnace, I brought it back home with me too. I feel like I cheated the factory but that was not the intention for sure. They tried to help me the only way they could, they are not a repair facility for sure.

it was my curiosity to find out what had gone wrong which lead to the old furnace being repaired. And BTW, it was a real bear to take it out and to reinstall it.

But the furnace works now

Just an update to all who contributed to the thread !
Great news, thanks for letting us know......
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #32

Glad you got it going.