Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #1

Failed furnace ...."FIXED"

The furnace on my SV-291 failed last weekend. I was outside and heard it go off and on and off and on and work a few more seconds and then go off. I thought to myself, that was weird, that is not the way it shuts down when the trailer heats up. Sure enough once inside I raised the thermostat and it did not kick in. Unpluged from shore power, disconnected the batterry and checked all the fuses and everything was looking good.

Plugged everything back in, reaise the thermostat and all I get is a "click" Which seems to come from the AC, and furnace does NOTHING. No blower fun, no trying to ignite gas, nothing.

Did anyone ever remove the furnace from its nest in an SV-291 ? The unit is out of warranty and I will have a look at it first myself before turning to a dealer. It is a Suburban unit .....I really did not expect the furnace to fail this early is this a common thing with furnaces ?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #2

Nobody did it I guess. It is going to be such a big mess removing it as I think it was put in place before they install the fridge on top of it.

I will make sure that I take pictures for the education of the rest of the gang here .. it will be a spring project. I am hoping it is just a loose cable and it will be found before I really have to take it out .... I am NOT looking forward to it !

Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #3

I did one on a cherokee, not that bad. Read the instructions for your furnace, if you have them. You need to remove the intake and exhaust pipes from the outside. The calking removal is the hardest job. There is not that much room to manuever around the furnace. When u get it out check for chaffed wires under neath it. That was the problem with mine. Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorminN.B. View Post
I did one on a cherokee, not that bad. Read the instructions for your furnace, if you have them. You need to remove the intake and exhaust pipes from the outside. The calking removal is the hardest job. There is not that much room to manuever around the furnace. When u get it out check for chaffed wires under neath it. That was the problem with mine. Hope this helps.
Did you have to remove it from inside ? I guess so ... The hole they have there is barely bigger than the furnace. it will be quite something to remove the propane line and I am hoping the electrical cables are going to be reachable from the dinette area where underneath one seat it is completly open and have all the electrical distribution. I am hoping I will be able to reach the furnace from there ...

Boy oh boy ! This will be so much fun ! I wish I still had warranty left on the unit ...
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #5

yes the furnace comes out where the front louvered panel is. It is tight, but should come out. It is harder to unhook the wires and gas line, because of lack of room . The exhaust pipe pulls out from the outside. When u install the furnace, leave the exhaust pipe till last. While u are in there, u might want to put some steel wool or some spray insulation, where the gas line and wires come through the floor, to keep out the mice. I even had to remove the power converter, to get at the holes in the floor to fill them, to keep the mice out.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice NorminN.B ! The trailer has enlosed underbelly, but I will still close up any holes with steel wool. I am afraid that they can eat the spray insulation.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
Thanks for the advice NorminN.B ! The trailer has enlosed underbelly, but I will still close up any holes with steel wool. I am afraid that they can eat the spray insulation.
Heres a short list of troubleshooting ideas "before you pull it", theres lots more on line in this forum and the Net. This doc from Suburban, there's lots others
Attached Files
File Type: docx Furnace.docx (614.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Do you have the propane on?
okdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #9

Yes the propane is on. if it was a propane issue I assume I would at least hear the blower fan kick in. Nothing happens when I raise the thermostat ... I turned all the burners on the stove and they were going full blast.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #10

Thanks ! I got a comprehensive one which I will use. What you posted I believe was a part of the big one I got.

I am assuming that it is an electrical issue since there is no fan starting at all. I will start with getting the thermostat out of the equation and then trace all the cables and make sure there is power going to the unit before I take it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Heres a short list of troubleshooting ideas "before you pull it", theres lots more on line in this forum and the Net. This doc from Suburban, there's lots others