Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #1

Flat Screen TV mount in SV235RS

Here is my latest project for the SV235. I wanted a large HDTV screen for the trailer and I needed to have a safe solid mount and a quick way to unmount the screen for travel. The rear bunk is a slideout and the bracket has clearance when the bunk is closed.

The 19 inch screen carrier is a unit made to carry computer flatsceens. It has a hard front to protect the screen and a soft back with clips for easy assembly. The handle and strap make it easy to tote. The screen is rather light and can stowed under the trailers seats.

The screen bracket was made from two aluminum anglestock pieces purchased at the hardware store and the main video wall mount was purchased from a local Circuit City. The two aluminum pieces were sandwiched together and drilled to allow for bolts to come from behind the bracket out to the wall mount unit. I had to grind off most of the bolt heads to make the bracket sit flush against the wall. By securing the bracket at the top trailer frame rail and the bottom rail at the trailer's window frame, I was able to make a very strong and stable mount for the Television. The bottom of the bracket was trimmed so the two tech screws mounted to the window frame are covered by the cornish board for the window covering. Next step is to use zinc chromate primer for the bracket and paint the unit white to match the trailer trim.

You can see the trim ring I glued to the 2 inch hole through to the cabinet to run my wires. Inside the cabinet will be DVD player, Sat Receiver and Video Game box. I will make a wooden shelf painted to match the cabinet to finish the look and hide all wiring. All my wires to the screen plus power will be labeled to allow for quick hookup once the trailer arrives at the campsite.

More pictures when the project is finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlatscreenCarrier.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracketmount.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	705   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenMounted.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	706   Click image for larger version

Name:	235RS_RearExtlarge.jpg
Views:	1632
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	707  
Cyclicpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 AM   #2

I am also going to make a change, I want a bigger TV, I just bought a 32" to replace a 19" in the EC, thanks you just gave me some additional Ideas. It looks like a real nice job, enjoy!
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #3

How hard was it to mount the main metal portion of that which runs up and down your TT wall? Did you somehow have to find the studs in the wall??

2005 Surveyor SV234
2004 F-150 Supercrew Lariat / 5.4L / 3.73 Gears
Reese Friction Sway
Voyager Brake Controller
WD Setup
TWhaylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #4

Studs are easy to find

TW,
The studs are easy to find on the surveyor because Forest River brags about the quality of their frame in their advertisements. What I wanted was to use my own bracket and not put any holes in the open area of the walls. If you use small tek screws, you can get a strong threaded connection to the square frame. Tek Screws have a built in drill bit that predrills the hole that the screw will be threaded in. In the picture I show an example of some tek screws, arrows showing where I screwed my bracket to the frame and a picture of the original TV mount unit. I did not want to use only the TV mount unit it puts the force of the weight of the TV in a small space. My aluminum angle stock doubled and screwed to top and bottom of frame spreads out the weight over a larger area. The only holes in the wall are at the top frame, two screws and in the bottom window frame two screws. The bottom screws are hidden under the cornish board window treatment.

Rockwood, I would have gone 32 if my boss would have let me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sideframe3.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	714   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracketcloseup.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	715  
Cyclicpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #5

Here is our LCD TV/DVD mount:

The swing arm allows the TV to go against the wall to view from the sofa, or into the corner to view from the bed. For travel, the TV swings out of the way for the bed slide to retract. I have a padded cover to go over the TV for travel, bumpers on the arm where it may contact the wall surfaces. A bungee cord on the back keeps it pulled tight to the slide frame for travel.

I added a cabinet door over the old TV shelf opening to make a cabinet. The door has a limited opening swing due to the ceiling light fixture, but it's still very usefull.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD Guy View Post
Here is our LCD TV/DVD mount:

The swing arm allows the TV to go against the wall to view from the sofa, or into the corner to view from the bed. For travel, the TV swings out of the way for the bed slide to retract. I have a padded cover to go over the TV for travel, bumpers on the arm where it may contact the wall surfaces. A bungee cord on the back keeps it pulled tight to the slide frame for travel.

I added a cabinet door over the old TV shelf opening to make a cabinet. The door has a limited opening swing due to the ceiling light fixture, but it's still very usefull.
Where did you get that swing arm?? Is that just a standard one you would buy for your house?
bjf102106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf102106 View Post
Where did you get that swing arm?? Is that just a standard one you would buy for your house?
Yes, same as you would use in a house. Got it online for about $20.00
Old 09-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #8

Thanks Cyclipitcher! I did this exact mod for my tv, it worked awsome! I used alum flat bar instead, works great! Got the mount for less then $20 online, $10 for the misc hardware, and a couple hours in the shop
Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #9

Mounting a TV

We would like to mount a TV. We have a Surveyor 235RKS. I love the idea of a swing arm. We want to mount the TV on the other wall, beside the sofa. I guess it would be close to the fridge. My husband doesn't think it will be possible, but if we find the studs, wouldn't we be OK? My husband is also fearful of drilling into the wall.....anywheres into the trailer. But, I see so many people who do it and make alot of modifications. Is it OK to add these things on?
Also, has anyone out there added storage to the area below the sofa?
Lookimg for any adice!1

joanne
gulligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #10

Nice job. I noticed you still have your Concerjunk. Because mine stalled in the middle of a movie the "boss" told me to get it fixed. Having read many different issues with it I decided to get a Jensen system and file the Concerjunk. The boss also suggested we pull the factory 19" flat screen out and put a larger one in. She decided on the Samsung 26". Fits perfectly in the recessed area in my Wildwood 27RBEC where the 19" (factory) unit was.

I hung it with a single swing mount but it doesn't come out far enough for the boss to get to the back to plug her other items in. I need to find a double swing unit that folds flat. Now the task to figure out a good way to secure it with bungees. Maybe get some cup hooks and a piece of foam to put underneath to keep it from bouncing.
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulligirl View Post
We would like to mount a TV. We have a Surveyor 235RKS. I love the idea of a swing arm. We want to mount the TV on the other wall, beside the sofa. I guess it would be close to the fridge. My husband doesn't think it will be possible, but if we find the studs, wouldn't we be OK? My husband is also fearful of drilling into the wall.....anywheres into the trailer. But, I see so many people who do it and make alot of modifications. Is it OK to add these things on?
Also, has anyone out there added storage to the area below the sofa?
Lookimg for any adice!1

joanne
Find the stud, and you should be OK.
I looked at removing the fabric kick panel and adding doors, but decided that there was not much space to gain. the heater, duct work, and wheel well take up a lot of the space.

We have the 235RS, on your 235KS, I thought there was an outside access storage door under the sofa. If the heater is here, you may not have much usable space.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #12

Has anyone figured out a way to mount an LCD in the space where the TV should be?

I've got a 22" samsung in there now but it would be nice to have it on a an adjustable arm (preferably X,Y,Z plane movement) similar to what they have at a medical office. Just looking for ideas.

Maybe something like this:
http://www.icwusa.com/images/product...RNB1-WM-MW.jpg
mtl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl4 View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to mount an LCD in the space where the TV should be?

I've got a 22" samsung in there now but it would be nice to have it on a an adjustable arm (preferably X,Y,Z plane movement) similar to what they have at a medical office. Just looking for ideas.

Maybe something like this:
http://www.icwusa.com/images/product...RNB1-WM-MW.jpg
I would go with an TV mount outside the provided tv cabinet. especially if you are putting in a flat panel, theres a lot of good storage space in that cabinet that will be lost. I did a removable wall mount above the dinet window and put a door on the tv cabinet, works out great
Old 10-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
I would go with an TV mount outside the provided tv cabinet. especially if you are putting in a flat panel, theres a lot of good storage space in that cabinet that will be lost. I did a removable wall mount above the dinet window and put a door on the tv cabinet, works out great
Having looked at the space which would otherwise be wasted, I think the best mounting would be outside the cabinet as suggested. Now I'm just looking for a swing arm mount that will hide the wires at the same time while allowing for safe storage while traveling.
mtl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #15

I hid my wires and the PSII I use for a DVD Player/ Gaming in the cabinet. I used a residential rectangle 'mouse hole' that fits a house wall box to punch the wires out the side of the cabinet, closest to the wall and pull all the wires back into the cabinet when not in use.

Quote:
Having looked at the space which would otherwise be wasted, I think the best mounting would be outside the cabinet as suggested. Now I'm just looking for a swing arm mount that will hide the wires at the same time while allowing for safe storage while traveling.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #16

The picture hosting site I was using (Webshots) has gone away. Most of the pictures I had posted can be viewed by clicking on the photo bucket link in my signature.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #17

I thought I would update this thread since I mentioned I would add a way to mount my TV to the wall and still allow me to move it around for viewing. Well it came out better than I could have imagined. I first cut, sanded (routed edges), stained (Varathane Tuscan, comes in a tube) and then clear (satin polyurethane spray can) coated a piece of 1x6 maple. The board was cut to fit from the seat of the dinette all the way to the bottom of the TV cabinet (just to the left of the window). I then mounted the board to the wall with a glue (called No More Nails made by Lepage) and secured it with some long drywall screws (from the TV cabinet down into the board, drill pilot holes first). After that I let it dry for a day. Then I mounted the LCD arm to the maple board with wood screws. Finally I used (2) 60mm cable grommets to run the wiring from the LCD arm up into the TV cabinet area. Now I can see the TV from anywhere in the camper (kid's beds, couch, main bed, etc). I just bungee a piece of foam around the TV for travel.

Here's the one I used: Ergotron LX Wall Mount LCD Monitor Arm 45-243-026

Not cheap but man it works nice!!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #18

Quote:
I thought I would update this thread since I mentioned I would add a way to mount my TV to the wall and still allow me to move it around for viewing. Well it came out better than I could have imagined. I first cut, sanded (routed edges), stained (Varathane Tuscan, comes in a tube) and then clear (satin polyurethane spray can) coated a piece of 1x6 maple. The board was cut to fit from the seat of the dinette all the way to the bottom of the TV cabinet (just to the left of the window). I then mounted the board to the wall with a glue (called No More Nails made by Lepage) and secured it with some long drywall screws (from the TV cabinet down into the board, drill pilot holes first). After that I let it dry for a day. Then I mounted the LCD arm to the maple board with wood screws. Finally I used (2) 60mm cable grommets to run the wiring from the LCD arm up into the TV cabinet area. Now I can see the TV from anywhere in the camper (kid's beds, couch, main bed, etc). I just bungee a piece of foam around the TV for travel.

Here's the one I used: Ergotron LX Wall Mount LCD Monitor Arm 45-243-026

Not cheap but man it works nice!!!!
Pictures, pictures!!! Worth a thousand words! Lets see them!

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD Guy View Post
The picture hosting site I was using (Webshots) has gone away. Most of the pictures I had posted can be viewed by clicking on the photo bucket link in my signature.
Chuck, your link doesn't work for me... Anyone else?

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
Pictures, pictures!!! Worth a thousand words! Lets see them!

I agree but unfortunately I don't have any pics from when I did it and it's still covered for winter. Come spring I will try and post some for everyone and you guys can judge for yourself.

Tags
235rs, surveyor, tv mount