Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

Forest River - No transfer on Manuf Warranty

I saw a couple of threads asking about Manufacture Warranty transfers on a used trailer... here is my story...
I bought a 2013 SP240 Surveyor this year from Camping World. I bought it “used” from Camping World. I was told by Camping World that a man bought the trailer brand new, for his wife and she didn’t like it, (not big enough), so he brought it back to Camping World a “couple of days” later and put it on consignment. Anyway, we saw it at Camping World and bought it, along with an extended warranty plan through Good Sam.
We had to bring it back to Camping World a week after we bought it for a battery problem. We also brought it in to get the propane line fixed under the recall. Camping World notified us that even though the original owner only owned it for a “couple of days” that Forest River would not transfer the 1 year Manufacture warranty to me, because I am not the original owner. Camping World came though and explained they would cover the cost of replacing the battery… Thank you Camping World! Forest River did make good on the recall of the propane line though.
A couple of months pass… My hubby and I go camping and find some things that need fixed already. To name a few: The board on the bottom of the main bed was cracked and the hinge was broke. (the hinge was improperly installed) The seals/border (?) on the ceiling are falling off, the boarder along the bottom of the fridge is peeling off, one of the drawers in the bathroom will not lock in place, (due to the lock latch is not aligned properly), the bedroom window will not open properly (not the exit window) and several other things. So, we bring the trailer into Camping World and check to see if we can get any of these things fixed through the warranty. Camping World explains that Forest River will not cover any of these issues, since we are not the original owner. (they won't transfer the Manuf warranty) Remember – this is a 2013 trailer and things are already going wrong. This trailer is only a few months old. So, Camping World submits the request to Good Sam Warranty and Good Sam will cover only one of the issues. Soooo… Camping World called us and explained the situation, (Forest River and Good Sam will not cover the issues, except for one) but Camping World would cover the cost for ALL of the repairs. Camping World pulls through again! Thank you Camping World! Again!!
BTW- one of the damages that we brought in for repair was… our propane line burst while we were camping. Scary, and we can’t get an explanation as to why this happen. Anyway, the trailer has now been at Camping World for around 4-5 weeks and we were told yesterday that Forest River sent the board for the bottom of our bed this week. So, hopefully we will get our trailer this weekend. I will update and let you know how everything goes.
nvrsaynvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Site Team

I know of very few RV manufacturers that have transferable warranties. Jayco was one of the few and they dropped that feature a few years ago. Once it gets registered, the trailer's warranty can't be transferred.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Did you have a pdi with Camping World? Sounds like your extended warranty with Sams was a good idea.

Hope all works out for you soon.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Commercial Member

There is no manufacturer that will transfer the warranty to the second owner. If it was registered by the first owner, that is the only warranty honored.

As for the battery, Camping World put it on, so they SHOULD cover it for you....they don't have batteries when sent from the factory.

Also, if you read through the actual factory warranty, many only cover "fit and trim" for the first 30-90 days. So, wallpaper borders usually aren't covered anyway.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #5

Hi! Yes, we did have a PDI. But we went through stuff like the major appliance, etc., but I didn't check each and every drawer and hinge. I didn't open every window, etc. (Lesson learned)
The comment about the wallpaper trim - It is not the wallpaper trim that I am speaking of. Sorry, I don't know exactly how to explain the trim that is falling off the ceiling ... the ceiling has seams/gaps in it and there is white trim that is covering the seams/gaps. That is what is falling off.
Thanks for the info on the battery - I didn't know Forest River doesn't supply the battery.
It just boggles my mind that this is a 2013 trailer and we are still in 2012 and we are having so many issues with it.
Mostly "minor/cosmetic" in most peoples minds (except for maybe our propane line bursting). That was scary and VERY loud!
Old 12-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #6

It is very true that the manufacturer warranty are non-transferable. On the other hand I have an extended warranty with Cornerstone and it is for just $50.00 to the new buyer, or you can just cancel it and get a prorated amount back of the remaining months left on it or cancel it if you are not satisfied with your coverage at anytime.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #7

Who/what is Cornerstone? Forgive me for my ignorance - I am new at buying warranties on trailers.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrsaynvr View Post
Who/what is Cornerstone? Forgive me for my ignorance - I am new at buying warranties on trailers.
Cornerstone is a third party warranty company located in NC. I bought a used jayco and purchased an extended warranty from them. When I bought my new trailer I just cancelled and got my prorated money back. I then turned that over to my FR dealer who gave me a new 7 year with what I had left over from the original cost. The thing is that I already have the 1st and 2nd year covered by FR so I really only get 5 years from them. I have checked every program out there has to offer and what I found nobody can touch them. It is bumper to bumper. I have never heard of a problem with them and stepping up to takecare of a problem. To me the piece of mind was well worth it. I guess I would call it a personal choice, but I know you can not do that with Good Sam's.....

Old 12-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #9

Thank you so much for the GREAT info! I am going to look into it!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Did you have a pdi with Camping World? Sounds like your extended warranty with Sams was a good idea.

Hope all works out for you soon.
I didnt read that they got very much for Good Sam,looks like Camping World stepped up. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #11

Nope - Good Sam did not step up to the plate. Only Camping World. Also, realize, we have owned the trailer for only a few months.
Hopefully all this will get fixed and we will have Happy Trails going forward. Although since they can't figure out why the propane line burst, that has me very concerned.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Nope - Good Sam did not step up to the plate. Only Camping World. Also, realize, we have owned the trailer for only a few months.
Hopefully all this will get fixed and we will have Happy Trails going forward. Although since they can't figure out why the propane line burst, that has me very concerned.
Here is the telephone # for CornerStone, I hope this helps 1-866-912-2768......

Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #13

Thank you VERY much!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Can you tell us exactly where the propane line split? Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #15

I THINK it was towards the top.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #16

Quote:
I THINK it was towards the top.
Towards the top of what ? By the regulator or by the tank ? Please help everyone here ,because this is important and dangerous ! Others may need to be aware . Please take the time to find out the info and pass on . Thanks Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #17

I will check when I pick up the trailer - from what I hear - not this weekend
Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I didnt read that they got very much for Good Sam,looks like Camping World stepped up. Youroo!!
I wasn't giving Good Sams a pat on the back for not stepping up but rather just giving the new owners a thumb ups for thinking ahead by getting an extended warranty. On other forums I have read where the owner didn't get any warranty because the unit was so *new* & shouldn't have any issues.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #19

Ah, well Thank you very much!!!
If a warranty is available - I buy it... furniture, cars, trucks, electronic gagets, etc, etc...
Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #20

It was the Pigtail that comes out of the tank to the regulator.
jnscoronado is offline   Reply With Quote

« Roof clean | length »