Old 07-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Frame/floor issue 2004 29" Surveyor

We bought our 29" 2004 Surveyor in 2005 and have had basically no real problems with it other than for things that break down on the road. We just made the decision to down-size (we anticipated a trailer-full of grandkids so bought a big one with a bunk, in reality we never camped with more than two at the same time) and now just noticed a problem at the left rear end of the trailer below where the tub is located. Since the tub has only been used once, and we both hated it, it has gone unused except as a dirty clothes hamper. The left rear end of the trailer appears to be dropping, and has dropped almost an inch. I noticed it because of the broken plastic fascia at the rear of the trailer, and the dropping of the side bottom fascia along the lower part of the of the trailer. It occurred during our just-completed trip to the Pac NW.

I have attached two pictures which show the details. It may be a design error in that the weight of the side of the trailer rests on the edge of the floor. It is possible to put a board on the top of a jack and push the entire edge back up, but there is nothing to hold it with or to attach it to if you do that, so when the jack is lowered, so is the entire edge. The floor mounts under the trailer along the frame have not loosened nor have they moved.

I am interested to find if others have had this problem, and if there is a way to fix it short of a major overhaul of the trailer. This is discouraging because I have really taken good care of the trailer -- stored under a roof, maintained well, up-graded accessories, and never loaned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	36308   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	36309  

butchc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
I expect to trade in our TT in 5 years or less. They don't build these things very well and I have no hopes of it holding up to living in full time for 3 to 5 years.
If you really like the trailer search for a reputable repair shop and have it fixed.
I have no idea what it may cost.
If you are not using the bathroom tub, maybe another floorplan would work better for you now.

FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Good morning, ButchC,
I may be experiencing a similar problem with my 2007 30' Flagstaff FW. Same location and similar symptoms, except my displacement is about 1" to the outside (left) rather than down. Attempts to jack up the corner don't change anything. We're considering pushing the side horizontally, but like your situation, things will just return unless the side can be secured. I'm looking for customers who may have similar issues, as well.

We have opened the back corner. The floor is still attached to the 3/4" 'box-rail' interior framing, but the framing itself is displaced to the left. This floor-framing no loner lines up with the vertical aluminum studding (also 3/4" 'box rail') at the lower left back corner. It's not apparent how these pieces were connected together, or whether they ever were connected. (Welded?) This could be the design fault you refer to.

The right side corner is starting to show the same symptoms, but not as severe. I.m wondering whether the floor is made from two or more pieces, so that both side walls could move outwards, if the interior framing has separated from the main I-beam frame.

Have you had any luck with your repairs? Hopefully I can benefit from your or other's experiences. Trailer is currently at a repair facility, so we're not taking advantage of a beautiful summer weekend. Thanks, in advance, for everyone's help.
BrightonTed is offline   Reply With Quote

frame, surveyor