Old 03-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Friction Bar Sway Control Question

Last year I picked up a new 245BHS and worked a Curt WDH into the purchase with the dealer. The Curt does not have built in sway control, but you can add a friction sway bar. I experienced sway issues last summer, that I want to limit before we start our travels this year.

My trailer is 5900lbs when loaded and I am towing with a 2015 Sequoia. Hitch weight is 750lbs and I make sure I don't have unneeded weight in the back of trailer. The original hitch was dealer installed and I get good distribution and everything is relatively level when hooked up, without rear TV sagging.

I know I can upgrade to an equalizer or blue ox and they each have great reputations. But my question is how good are the friction sway bars? I can simply add one or two of those for less then $100 canadian. Does anyone have experience with the friction add on bars, do they do the trick or do I have to bite the bullet and get a new WDH with sway control build in (Equalizer is $620-$700cdn) ?

blueowlbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #2

Install the recommended number for your needs! they work well but I would remove before"Sharp Backing"! Youroo!!

Old 03-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #3

Our 2018 Passport weighed 5200 empty and towed it with our F250 super cab long bed and we had a Reese wd hitch with a friction sway bar and we didn't notice any real sway at all. We always had it since day one with that trailer so I can't tell you if that makes a difference or not. I will say this new Equalizer hitch makes backing in and unhooking much faster/easier.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Install the recommended number for your needs! they work well but I would remove before"Sharp Backing"! Youroo!!
X2 about removing.
I know why from experience

I have found the built in sway easier to manage than having to adjust friction settings.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Working at retired:D

My experience. I used 2 friction sway control bars with round bar Pro Series WD hitch. TV was F250, TT was 6500 dry, 7400 loaded. Sway was not a problem after I got WD set up right. One bar may have worked but original set up was dealer installed and they had no weight on back of truck. That was white knuckle :/ So I added a second bar which helped but was still not very good until I read up on WD hitch set up and set it up myself. Sway was not a problem after that. Since I had 2 friction sway bars I kept using it that way. Sold hitch with TT.
New TT we have now using 4 point Equalizer. Towing is about the same. Backing is easier

2017 Wildcat 301RES - 2012 Ford F-350 CC
tx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #6

I"ve used a friction bar on my TT'ers for over 12 years. Only had one trouble with a sway problem, but that was my fault for not tightening it up right. But I do agree that you should remove the bar before backing up. Had to replace one bar because I bent it when backing up.
Camping
2017- 27 days
2018- 100 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses. You answered what I was curious on, how well it prevents sway. I know I have to remove them before backing up, which is a pain, but maybe worth the savings.
blueowlbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #8

gotta show my ignorance here. I have a friction sway control bar. Why do I need to loosen before backing up? Seems the bar extends and retracts as you turn the vehicle in forward motion. Why is is different in reverse? Not arguing that it's wrong....just wanna understand.
Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
Scoundrel

Often when we back up we're also turning sharply to get the tt where we want it. If the friction sway bar is tightened down, turning sharply works against it and can snap the bar or one of the balls its mounted on. Simply loosening the friction eliminates that issue.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #10

equalizer deal

I used equalizer hitch for several years and the friction bars functioned very well.
I have since, had to upgrade and have used equalizer for sale at a price much more favorable than your Canadian price. Are you interested? (you pay post from Florida)

bchep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway