Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Friction Bar Sway Control Question

Last year I picked up a new 245BHS and worked a Curt WDH into the purchase with the dealer. The Curt does not have built in sway control, but you can add a friction sway bar. I experienced sway issues last summer, that I want to limit before we start our travels this year.

My trailer is 5900lbs when loaded and I am towing with a 2015 Sequoia. Hitch weight is 750lbs and I make sure I don't have unneeded weight in the back of trailer. The original hitch was dealer installed and I get good distribution and everything is relatively level when hooked up, without rear TV sagging.

I know I can upgrade to an equalizer or blue ox and they each have great reputations. But my question is how good are the friction sway bars? I can simply add one or two of those for less then $100 canadian. Does anyone have experience with the friction add on bars, do they do the trick or do I have to bite the bullet and get a new WDH with sway control build in (Equalizer is $620-$700cdn) ?
blueowlbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #2

Install the recommended number for your needs! they work well but I would remove before"Sharp Backing"! Youroo!!
Old 03-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #3

Our 2018 Passport weighed 5200 empty and towed it with our F250 super cab long bed and we had a Reese wd hitch with a friction sway bar and we didn't notice any real sway at all. We always had it since day one with that trailer so I can't tell you if that makes a difference or not. I will say this new Equalizer hitch makes backing in and unhooking much faster/easier.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Install the recommended number for your needs! they work well but I would remove before"Sharp Backing"! Youroo!!
X2 about removing.
I know why from experience

I have found the built in sway easier to manage than having to adjust friction settings.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Working at retired:D

My experience. I used 2 friction sway control bars with round bar Pro Series WD hitch. TV was F250, TT was 6500 dry, 7400 loaded. Sway was not a problem after I got WD set up right. One bar may have worked but original set up was dealer installed and they had no weight on back of truck. That was white knuckle :/ So I added a second bar which helped but was still not very good until I read up on WD hitch set up and set it up myself. Sway was not a problem after that. Since I had 2 friction sway bars I kept using it that way. Sold hitch with TT.
New TT we have now using 4 point Equalizer. Towing is about the same. Backing is easier

2017 Wildcat 301RES - 2017 Ford F-250
tx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #6

I"ve used a friction bar on my TT'ers for over 12 years. Only had one trouble with a sway problem, but that was my fault for not tightening it up right. But I do agree that you should remove the bar before backing up. Had to replace one bar because I bent it when backing up.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses. You answered what I was curious on, how well it prevents sway. I know I have to remove them before backing up, which is a pain, but maybe worth the savings.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #8

gotta show my ignorance here. I have a friction sway control bar. Why do I need to loosen before backing up? Seems the bar extends and retracts as you turn the vehicle in forward motion. Why is is different in reverse? Not arguing that it's wrong....just wanna understand.
Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
Scoundrel

Often when we back up we're also turning sharply to get the tt where we want it. If the friction sway bar is tightened down, turning sharply works against it and can snap the bar or one of the balls its mounted on. Simply loosening the friction eliminates that issue.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #10

equalizer deal

I used equalizer hitch for several years and the friction bars functioned very well.
I have since, had to upgrade and have used equalizer for sale at a price much more favorable than your Canadian price. Are you interested? (you pay post from Florida)
bchep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #11

Another question is on right hand and left hand friction bars.Can you use a right handed bar on left side? I ask because Costco sells right hand side, I can buy 2 if they don't solve issue, easy to return.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchep View Post
I used equalizer hitch for several years and the friction bars functioned very well.
I have since, had to upgrade and have used equalizer for sale at a price much more favorable than your Canadian price. Are you interested? (you pay post from Florida)
The Equal-i-zer doesn't use add-on friction sway bars.
It has integrated sway control.

Unless you're calling a regular old tech WDH, an Equal-i-zer.

Equal-i-zer is the brand name of a WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #13

I bought a new Curt ( Equalizer knock off) hitch when I bought my new Wolfpack toyhauler. It is 37ft with a dry weight of 8700 lbs. Since I didn't buy it from the dealer that I got the camper from they were not to helpful in setting it up so I could tow it home. What help they gave was wrong I found out later after a 70 mile trip home in bad cross winds that had the DW and I both white knuckled all the way home. After talking with Etrailer and reading the installation instructions I have it set up the way is should be. However I still get a little sway in some instances.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Often when we back up we're also turning sharply to get the tt where we want it. If the friction sway bar is tightened down, turning sharply works against it and can snap the bar or one of the balls its mounted on. Simply loosening the friction eliminates that issue.
Remove the Bars,just don't loosen them when "Sharp Backing" like I stated! You will NEVER be at a" Backing Angle" while going down the Road,unless you are just ready to "Wreck"! Just remove when you check in at C/G,they will need to be removed anyway IF you plan to go anywhere in your TV! Youroo!!
Old 04-02-2018, 07:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rich View Post
I bought a new Curt ( Equalizer knock off) hitch when I bought my new Wolfpack toyhauler. It is 37ft with a dry weight of 8700 lbs. Since I didn't buy it from the dealer that I got the camper from they were not to helpful in setting it up so I could tow it home. What help they gave was wrong I found out later after a 70 mile trip home in bad cross winds that had the DW and I both white knuckled all the way home. After talking with Etrailer and reading the installation instructions I have it set up the way is should be. However I still get a little sway in some instances.
Most have found that a dealer rarely sets one up properly even if purchased there. They usually just "eyeball" it; it takes a lot of time to set one up properly.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #16
Working at retired:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueowlbc View Post
Another question is on right hand and left hand friction bars.Can you use a right handed bar on left side? I ask because Costco sells right hand side, I can buy 2 if they don't solve issue, easy to return.
I used the same friction sway control bar on both sides. Just loosened it up pulled male end out and turned it over and reinserted to use on the left side. Completely a non issue for me.
tx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueowlbc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx333 View Post
I used the same friction sway control bar on both sides. Just loosened it up pulled male end out and turned it over and reinserted to use on the left side. Completely a non issue for me.
I believe tx333 has it right. I've never seen 'right hand' or 'left hand' friction bars sold as such. When I bought a second one for the driver's side, it was just a matter of flipping things around to mirror the existing one on the passenger side.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #18

We used a friction bar for many years with trailers up to 28 ft. but, when we got our Windjammer, it was too much for the swaybar and we went to an Equalizer setup. That being said, I now have a swaybar and hitch and 2 1000lb spring bars that are looking for a home. You can have them if you can come and get them. I'm in the Ann Arbor Michigan area if you are close. They should have a fair amount of life in them. I am not sure how to go "private" on the contact, but, if you are interested, let me know. Yes, I did say free!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway