Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #1

Front Cap Oxidation Issues

Last September we purchased a brand new 2016 Surveryor 240RBS. After some initial problems we were finally able to get it out on the road and put it through it's paces.

In spite of the initial issues and a few more that have popped up after a full summer of use, we love the trailer.

That being said, we are having a fairly serious cosmetic issue and I am curious if others have had this problem or if we just 'got lucky'? Over the summer the end cap has oxidized horribly.

I've been in touch with FR Warranty and they are working with me to repair the front cap. I initially thought that it would be 'painted' but talking with my service rep, he said they will most likely replace the front cap. He said the front cap manufacturer had messed up and applied some faulty gel coats on some caps.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm attaching a pic. Remember, this is a 2016 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontCap.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	122219  

Old 10-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #2

Same issue on a 2015 251RKS

My front cap is heavily oxidized. It looked almost identical to your picture.
A detail shop used a high speed buffer but while it looks better it is still not right.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #3

I have a 2015 and it is still shiny and looks new. It should be replaced, especially since is new.

2015: 18 days camping
2016: 21 days (so far!)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #4

When we ordered our 251 it came in with the new white retro colors. FR said they changed because of the issues with the brown gel cap fading and oxidizing.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

Last year our new2015 model didn't have it that bad but had small areas on the front, side and back. Dealer got it repainted last winter and no troubles this year.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

There are quite a few threads on this issue and it is not limited to Forest River either. I have a 2014 Prime Time(which is FR) and between June and September of this year, I got the same issue. I have called Prime Time and because it is out of warranty, they will not address it. I kept the unit waxed, Aero 303, etc numerous times a year. It is a defect with the cap and gel coat. Painting will correct it for a while. Hope you get a new cap.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #7

Oxidation issues

Check out restoration products intended for the marine market and environment. Having said that, nothing is really going to remedy an inferior gel coat. And that's what the RV industry gives us.
Barker 3500 Tongue Jack
DW & a feisty Border Terrier named Painter
slipf18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

Fiber cap oxidation

I have a 2013 RLSA 34 Cedar Creek 5th wheel and we had the same problem . FR agreed to replace the caps , so in September this year we took our unit to Topeka Indiana and they replaced both the front and back caps in about 6 Hours ! Looks like brand new again . Hats off to FR for standing behind there product ..
Old 10-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #9

Front Caps

We own a 2015 Salem Cruise Lite that had both upper and lower front panels replaced within the last 5 months due to peeling paint/coating. Both were done without costs to us. The underlying metal didn't seem to have been primed before the outer coating was applied. Also, this happened after traveling thru very heavy rain. The coating seemed to have turned to putty similar to paint after stripper was applied. It hardened again after the rain/water had dried. Weird!!
Old 10-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #10

I just had mine replaced by Primetime under warranty did it