Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #1

Front step flex

As I am finishing up my TV install today, I notice that the fold out step on the camper is flexing. I would assume that a little give is normal but then I notice that the floor on the inside of the door on the right flexes up when the step flexes down! I assume this is a floor issue. Anyone seen this or have an idea of how to fix? Would the linoleum be easy to lift up to get access?

Thanks.
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #2

What year and model? if you can, post some pictures, it may help
Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz View Post
As I am finishing up my TV install today, I notice that the fold out step on the camper is flexing. I would assume that a little give is normal but then I notice that the floor on the inside of the door on the right flexes up when the step flexes down! I assume this is a floor issue. Anyone seen this or have an idea of how to fix? Would the linoleum be easy to lift up to get access?

Thanks.
The best way to fix it is to put an angle iron brace from the bottom of the step frame on both sides up to the frame. Doesn't stop it completely, but is sure minimizes it. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

BTW, if your steps have rivets in the pivots, suggest drilling them out and replacing with 5/16" gr 8 bolts, washers & locknuts.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

This is for a 2004 255RS.

Quote:
The best way to fix it is to put an angle iron brace from the bottom of the step frame on both sides up to the frame. Doesn't stop it completely, but is sure minimizes it. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.
If you can do this, that would be great!

Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
This is for a 2004 255RS.

If you can do this, that would be great!

Thanks
Here are the pictures, yours no doubt is different, but you will get the idea. The rear brace on mine goes to the 2x4 tube that goes across the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00015.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	16629   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00016.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	16630  
Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #6

You may also want to check under the linoleum a bit to make sure you didn't have any leaks causing dry rot. Especially if you have had the trailer awhile and are just noticing the issue.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #7

I do worry about the floor. The original owner had a hot water heater issue and had to replace it. That is underneath the cabinet right next to the door...

I need to look at the step from underneath. Those pics are hard to figure out
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #8

I had dry rot in my last trailer. It's not too bad to fix it. Let me know if you need any help and I can recommend what I use to fix mine
Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #9

If I pull up the metal strip at the door opening, should I be able to lift the linoleum up easily? Is it glued? I have not looked to see if if extends under the cabinet yet.

I will definitely need to try and add some metal underneath to beef it up some.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #10

Quote:
If I pull up the metal strip at the door opening, should I be able to lift the linoleum up easily? Is it glued? I have not looked to see if if extends under the cabinet yet.

I will definitely need to try and add some metal underneath to beef it up some.
You may, as I am unsure of how your unit is, it will be glued down, but if its dry rot, then it may be pretty loose. It most likely does extend (unless previous fix or damage) as the manufacturer places the wood down, then lays linoleum throughout before putting ANYTHING in the unit. Yours should be front to back one giant piece. If its any different, it most likely has been repaired prior. Dont force it up, if its stuck good, then look around your water heater as you said it was replaced due to an issue. See if you see anything at the base. discoloration or dry rot if there is no linoleum in that area.

When mine had the dry rot, the linoleum pulled up and was stained on its own. It was in my pack and play storage so when I opened it, I smelt some mold/must in the compartment. I suspect if you do, you will not have the odor as bad if its not confined to a small compartment. When you take the plate off, you could always smell the wood/linoleum at the door seam if you cant see, and maybe will give you a clue to work with.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #11

Our step flexes a bit too. Perhaps I will add it to the items for a dealer warranty visit.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Try using auto screw jacks to limit movement.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausdog View Post
I had dry rot in my last trailer. It's not too bad to fix it. Let me know if you need any help and I can recommend what I use to fix mine

Beausdog if you could do this I would appreciate it. I have the same year and model as Ellisz. Although my steps are not flexing, I know I have dry rot flooring and will be fixing it after Labor Day. I am looking for what others have done. My linoleum is stained in a spot, pulled away and soft in others.
mattison09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Try using auto screw jacks to limit movement.
Easier to add angle iron braces from the bottom of the step frame to the trailer frame and you don't have extra jacks to store.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattison09 View Post
Beausdog if you could do this I would appreciate it. I have the same year and model as Ellisz. Although my steps are not flexing, I know I have dry rot flooring and will be fixing it after Labor Day. I am looking for what others have done. My linoleum is stained in a spot, pulled away and soft in others.
No worries, mine was fairly easy. Of course the linolium had pulled away, so I cut it out (it was in my pack and play area 3 foot by 1 1/2 foot piece. Then had to dig a bit to see how bad it is and if it is in fact repairable. Most are repairable unless it seems to have spread and then its easier just to cut the wood out and replace it. Mine however had not.

So under this 3 foot long I could see the stained soft wood. Sand it down to get the grit and junk off the top layer. Then take an air blow machine (hair dryer works too or anything powerful enough) and blow off the saw dust and dead wood shavings.

I went to lowe's and got a wood repair kit. I believe it was made by elmur glue or something like that, but came in a kit. Basically follow those instructions, and spread it out on the wood (mainly the soft rotted parts). Takes 12 to 24 hours to work into the wood and dry. Then there is wood apoxy that comes with it. Follow the mix instructions and fill in the rotted holes. Another 12-24 hrs to let it harden.

Repeat sanding and clearing off the layers of dust with a air blower of sort.

Now the fun part, the linoleum. While I was at Lowe's, I found the same linoleum that was in my TT I had. However, with that being said, it had to be special ordered and I had to buy the WHOLE roll. As such, I found 1x1 linoleum tiles with adhesive backing that looked pretty close on hand at the store. I put those in there, looked good too, took some cutting and fitting under the boards but wasnt too bad.

Only issue was it didnt match, and you really couldnt tell unless you looked or knew what you were looking for. We all know these units are built with one roll of linoleum, so once you cut it, its never gonna be right again, and you cant replace it all without tons of labor.

My advice, if you plan on keeping your TT, then fix the wood and get the flooring you like if its not in the main area, otherwise try to match it for future trade in or sale purposes.

#1 issue with your rig is going to be, you can fix the issue all you want, but if you dont find the source of the damage, you will not win. Hope you know how the dry rot started and that should be your first repair to cease the entrance of water to the effected area.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #16

Mine has a little flex, but not in the floor, just the step. You probably only have a single step, not the double setup. If you can feel the floor moving, then you very well may have some water damage. If so, it would be fairly easy to add a metal brace under the floor to reinforce it. You caould bolt directly thru the floor in the forward closet area and back under the galley cabinets. Hope the issue is not too bad.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I use this to steady my steps: Self-Storing Step Save Stabilizer - Stromberg Carlson JSS-85 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #18

Beausdog thanks for the information. I found the Elmer's products at home depot. I cut out a square of the linoleum and this is what it's looks like underneath. The linoleum seems like its not attached to anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2907502877.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	17058
mattison09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #19

Yup....looks like water damage, i would keep cutting out until you find good wood surrounding then repair. If its beyond repair, you can look at getting new wood in it
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattison09
Beausdog thanks for the information. I found the Elmer's products at home depot. I cut out a square of the linoleum and this is what it's looks like underneath. The linoleum seems like its not attached to anything.
Also looks like you have the exact same linoleum i had in my 2009 TT lol