Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
Havent got my trailer yet and know I will get a walk thru prior to delivery but is it hard to restart the flame once you turn the gas off for say like filling fuel at the gas station and shuting the bottles off - am thinking it is like the starter on a gas grill - push to ignite or is it something else -
Mini Lite 2306
I haven’t seen a fridge with a pizeo type lighter since we had our popup back in the early 90s. Can’t say for sure if they are still installing that type in campers anymore.
Have had a TT, class A & now a 5er & they were all solid state controlled. You have two buttons.
One is the on/off button. Self-explanatory.
The other selects gas only or gas/electric. The fridge will determine whether elect is available & choose it. If no elect is available it will automatically start the flow of gas & light it.

My favorite thing about getting a new camper is spending a Sat sitting in it with a six pack of my favorite beverage & reading the manuals cover to cover.
Once you spend a little time in your unit you will find out how much the dealer didn’t tell you or actually got wrong during the walk through.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #22

I did not realize that it stayed on at first, and fueled up a few times with it on before someone told me about it. I agree with the rest of you, its better to be safe than the "nightly news".
Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
I haven’t seen a fridge with a pizeo type lighter since we had our popup back in the early 90s. Can’t say for sure if they are still installing that type in campers anymore.
My 2003 Trailmanor had a piezo lighter, and I think Trailmanor is still using that in their fold down campers, but not in the uprights. .

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I feel like this "turn off the fridge when fueling" idea borders on an old wives tale. Seriously, can anyone provide evidence of this ever really happening? I think the odds of a problem are just about zero. If this was a problem, there would be a lot more information out there about it.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
CampeRooo

I don't have a membership to login to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) codes and standards to see if they have something written about open flames being near gasoline fuel pumps. But I'm pretty sure that I've read the posting to distinguish all open flames prior to refueling at every gas station I've ever stopped at.

The question remains, do we really need evidence of a running RV refrigerator or hot water tank causing the ignition of fuel vapors at a fueling station to take the precaution seriously? For that matter, the same question could apply to static electricity, cell phones, lit cigarettes/cigars.

(All of a sudden, the song "signs" just entered my mind)

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #26

i keep mine on too. u have more to worry abt from the hot catylitic converter under the viehicle.
the flipped cigeratte really concerns me.
i touch the nozzle to the viehicle before opening the tank when i refuel. if u really want to do that right, u put a jumber between the viehicle and pump before fueling. there is probably something built into the system that makes that not nescessary.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #27

As a firefighter, I once responded to a fire in a propane powered B class RV while it was refueling. The cause was apparently the pilot light on the fridge.
18267RBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #28

i'm trying to think back, i've never seen a fire in a gas station. (looks like there would be plenty sense self serve). i have seen people refueling while smoking, cell phone use. the smoking is the worse offense. i have seen two travel trailers on fire (several years apart) along the road. i suspected the frig because of the location but never found out for sure.
for those of u that watch those strange guys on myth busters, they tried to creat an explosion with a cell phone but couldn't. i guess it could but dropping ur keys on the ground could cause a spark...
a little prevention is always a good thing.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i keep mine on too. u have more to worry abt from the hot catylitic converter under the viehicle.
Case in point with a local incident with the catalytic converter: Fire destroys county owned vehicle | Daily Progress

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #30

Glad to read this thread as we are newbies and are traveling with fridge on and stocked. We're traveling north on I-95, just passed St Augustine and going around Jacksonville. Needless to say, BUMPY!!! So how will our sodas be when we stop??
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBill View Post
Glad to read this thread as we are newbies and are traveling with fridge on and stocked. We're traveling north on I-95, just passed St Augustine and going around Jacksonville. Needless to say, BUMPY!!! So how will our sodas be when we stop??
Cold and volatile.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Cold and volatile.
Lol!!! Can't wait! Hope tapping on the lid will settle them down! Hope none exploded, either... The trip has been GREAT so far!
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #33

i have only taken shorter trips but i run it on propane.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011sv264 View Post
As a firefighter, I once responded to a fire in a propane powered B class RV while it was refueling. The cause was apparently the pilot light on the fridge.

I can see how a motorhome can be an issue since the refrig is more near the center of the vehicle and close to the pumps. A trailer should not be a problem.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Cold and volatile.

Yup...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBill View Post
I pour Belvedere & vermouth in a shaker before we leave the house, put it in the fridge & when we get to the campground I have a martini “shaken not stirred”
Just joking
I almost always enjoy a carbonated beverage right from the camper fridge while setting up & have never had one foam up on me.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #37

We have never had an issue with our beverages either except "contents may shift" comes to mind.

When they fall on the floor after opening the door the first time after a long trip at least you know which ones to let sit for a while
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
at least you know which ones to let sit for a while
Or you know which one to hand to the DW to open. :-)
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
We have never had an issue with our beverages either except "contents may shift" comes to mind.

When they fall on the floor after opening the door the first time after a long trip at least you know which ones to let sit for a while
We don't have that big of a problem with items shifting in the inside frig. but the outside kitchen one was always a mess, I cut some soft foam inserts the size of each shelf. Put them in when when we travel, take them out and store on the top of the frig. After all don't want to break my $6.00 bottle of red wine. ddc4c
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #40

Hi,
I am new to the forum and popup camping. I am purchasing a 2007 Rockwood HW256. My question would be why would you not run the refrigerator on the 12v system while traveling and then switch to shore power or propane when you get to your destination? Since most people seem to run it on propane there must be a good reason.
Thanks.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote