Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #61

Lots of good info on this subject>>>>>>>but so many posts to go through to determine what is needed so did I miss a parts list. I have a Dometic 13500 AC unit and I use a Honda eu3000is inverter/generator that I p/u relatively new and cheep after the hurricanes in 04-05. I do a lot of camping way out in the woods with our ATV group and many times in temps is well above 90. The first time out with the new unit last week and it trip the auto overload once with only the AC on and I’m thinking this mod would minimize this and possible damage to the electrical components involved if it’s bumping the limits of the gen on AC start up. Thanks in advance!!!!

2013 days camped 16
wayne in florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #62
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne in florida View Post
Lots of good info on this subject>>>>>>>but so many posts to go through to determine what is needed so did I miss a parts list. I have a Dometic 13500 AC unit and I use a Honda eu3000is inverter/generator that I p/u relatively new and cheep after the hurricanes in 04-05. I do a lot of camping way out in the woods with our ATV group and many times in temps is well above 90. The first time out with the new unit last week and it trip the auto overload once with only the AC on and I’m thinking this mod would minimize this and possible damage to the electrical components involved if it’s bumping the limits of the gen on AC start up. Thanks in advance!!!!
Unless your breakers are all off but a/c you still have up to an 8 amp draw coming from the converter.
Even tho fridge and wh are on gas they still require12v

Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #63
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wayne.

normal appliance amp draws
Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #64

Thanks for the info f1100--- Are you thinking this may not be a needed mod for my setup. When this happened the only other thing on was the inverter/ to only charge the batts for the upcoming night if ac was not needed and only triped once in about 8hrs running. I've been told i over think then over kill things. But im good with that!
2013 days camped 16
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #65
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne in florida View Post
Thanks for the info f1100--- Are you thinking this may not be a needed mod for my setup. When this happened the only other thing on was the inverter/ to only charge the batts for the upcoming night if ac was not needed and only triped once in about 8hrs running. I've been told i over think then over kill things. But im good with that!
I hope you mean converter not inverter.
And that's what I'm sayin .....
Converter and a/c will And or could be in the neighborhood of 23 amp draw...

Your gennie AT BEST is putting out 25 amps.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
I have this gen and it runs my 13.5 Coleman Mach....Without any mods such as a hard start. Never used it in anything over 90F so this may be the differance. Love it becasue it will run for almost 9 hours on about 1.5 gallons of gas and you can load it with one person. I run the fan for a few minutes prior to turning the a/c on. This seemd to work for me.
Nice, that is much longer than I expected. Have you noticed the 30 amp to 15 amp plug getting hot (maybe just extra warm) too?

I suspect that it is a combination of the Coleman-Mach AC & the Yamaha 2400 generator as some have problems with a 3000 Honda tripping. Although, they may have too much on & not realize it. That electric water heater switch is easy to miss.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #67

thanks all i'm going to look at this more and see If anything more was on. This camper as said is new to me so I could very well have missed something. Never had an issue with the old 93 Jayco so there must be something. The gen has a 30a twist plug and my Pigtall is 30a twist with 3' of 10/3 cable to 30a RV connection I made. Not to keen on factory made stuff as you can't troubleshoot most of this junk. their i go ...over thinking it.
2013 days camped 16
Old 06-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #68

A quick update. I went out to test the unit on another hot day and the generator (Yamaha 2400is) would not start my a/c. This is after I put the timer delay and a hard start SPP6E capacitor on my unit.

What I found out, on the first turn on the unit will not start the a/c unit. But if I turn off the microwave breaker and then try again the unit will start. After the first start, I flip the breaker back on and the generator will start the a/c every time. But if I try it the next day, the same results.

Is the start capacitor not doing its job? How much does the Microwave draw just running the clock? Plus after firing the air up, I can run just about everything in the trailer (I even ran the microwave for about 15 seconds).

The reason I ask, because I could get the unit running the same way without installing the fan delay. I think I am going to run the unit today for about six hours today to make sure the unit works correctly and I don't burn up the adapter plug.

Plus we are going to a friends family reunion in July in Virginia at their farm without electricity available and the wife says we better have a/c! LOL

Thanks again,

Ponti
Old 06-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #69
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have to think something else is also on the microwave circuit.
Converter?
You need to do some electrical investigating.

Turbs
Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #70
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I have to think something else is also on the microwave circuit.
Converter?
You need to do some electrical investigating.

Turbs
This was my thought as well.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote