Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

Getting New Surveyor 235 RKS

I'm picking up a new 235RKS in a few weeks. The dealer is supposed to set up the hitch, etc. Any suggestions on what to look for? My "for sale" camper is an R-pod and I did not need any wt dist or sway controls. My camper before the Pod also needed nothing special. Any advice on what I should be getting for this set up will be appreciated. My tow vehicle is a 07 Tundra 5.7V8, 4X4, double cab, longbed and is rated to tow over 10K. Thanks,
geneowens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Dealers will usually go with a "minimum" setup. We have an F150 and the SV235RKS. Our dealer recommended a Round Bar WD hitch without any sway control. This might be OK if you do not intend to tow very far. But we take 3,000+ miles trips. So, we went with Trunion Bar Reese WD hitch with the Dual Cam sway control. We can meet semi-trailer trucks on a 2-lane highway with nary a twitch; just the way I like it. IMO, you've got a lot invested in a truck, trailer, and your lives, why skimp on the hitch?

BTW, the SV235RKS tows like a dream. We've been very happy with ours. Best of luck and have a great time.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
Site Team

My suggestion would be to not settle for anything less than a Reese Dual Cam (Straight Line) or and Equal-i-zer (not equalizer) weight distributing hitch with built-in sway control!

Whichever you get don't expect the dealer to get it set up correctly. Post back the model you get and we'll direct you to the right place to learn how to set it up correctly.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #4

Bob

Did I read that you bought at Couch's? Did they provide the Reese set-up that you have? They have quoted me $599 for the hitch but did not specify what hitch, etc.
geneowens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We live in MN and bought from Shorewood RV in Ramsey. I spent $550 on my Reese with Dual Cam and bought over Internet from eTrailer; they are great. I did my own install. Took maybe 2 hours. If you do your own install, you have the advantage of really knowing how your hitch works; and importantly, how to make adjustments if needed. At $500 installed from your dealer, I will be surprised if you get Dual Cam or Equalizer. More likely, a Round Bar WD with possibly a friction bar for sway. IMO, don't do this with your dealer unless you really know what you are getting, that it will do the job for you, and that your dealer knows what they are doing; not always the case.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 03-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

By the way, I would recommend 800 lb bars for the 235RKS. 600's are too light (you might max them loaded and with mods) and 1000's are too much (too stiff). Yeah, I made the mistake of more is better with 1,200 lb bars; too much.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #7

We took delivery of our 2010 235 RKS last September and camped through October. Definitely don't skimp on the hitch set-up. We have an EAZ-LIFT hitch with 1000 lb. torsion bars and sway control. Our dealer, Can-Am RV, custom welded the angle of the receiver draw bar, bringing the coupler closer to the rear bumper. Everything lines up nice and levelled. The ride quality and stability while towing is much better than when towing with our Coleman Williamsburg tent trailer (previous trailer). No white knuckling and the semis won't bother you. Our Toyota Sienna, yes that's right, we are towing it with a minivan, drops 1/2" at the rear axle and 3/4" at the front. Bumps are only felt once (no snaking). We've gone camping in Ontario, Quebec and Vermont. Stable ride and the cruise control never deviates from 100 KM/hr (62.5 miles/hour), not even on the hills. I'm sure I'm going to get lots of e-mails concerning my tow vehicle. Just remember the original Chrysler minivan was rated to tow 3,500 lbs. with a 4-cylinder motor. Anyway, happy camping. Hope you love it as much as we love ours. Only issue with the trailer is storage, or lack there of.
Campin' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin' Ron View Post
Just remember the original Chrysler minivan was rated to tow 3,500 lbs. with a 4-cylinder motor.
And according to Toyota, the Sienna with the 3.5 L V6 is also rated to tow at 3,500 lbs.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:16 AM   #9

Ron

I had a 06 Sienna and towed a Jayco pup with it. It towed well but the hitch was a little low. What year is your Sienna? I have an 08 Highlander [replaced the Sienna] with the 3.5 which is rated to tow 5k but I had not considered using it to tow the 235RKS since actual towing weight of the 235 will be close to 5K and perhaps a few pounds more?
What MPGs are you getting with the Sienna?
Last fall I saw a Honda Odessey towing a trailer similar in size to the 235 and these folks were far from home and apparently it was working OK.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Our Toyota Sienna, yes that's right, we are towing it with a minivan, drops 1/2" at the rear axle and 3/4" at the front. Bumps are only felt once (no snaking)
If you are dropping more in the front than in the back, that might be pulling the chains up a little too tight.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneowens1 View Post
I had a 06 Sienna and towed a Jayco pup with it. It towed well but the hitch was a little low. What year is your Sienna? I have an 08 Highlander [replaced the Sienna] with the 3.5 which is rated to tow 5k but I had not considered using it to tow the 235RKS since actual towing weight of the 235 will be close to 5K and perhaps a few pounds more?
What MPGs are you getting with the Sienna?
Last fall I saw a Honda Odessey towing a trailer similar in size to the 235 and these folks were far from home and apparently it was working OK.
I have towed the same setup for over 10,000 km now. I have "dragged" 3 times since our maiden voyage. I knew each time that it was going to happen.

I have had my trailer to flying j weigh scales, you are correct it weighed in around 5000 lbs ready to roll minus food and clothing (but everything else, full propane, battery, cutlery, kids toys etc).

I have a '04 sienna and an '09 235 rks. I have gotten anywhere between 9 and 14 mpg. My sienna is awd also and is the limited model (extra heavy!).

I have had my hitch reinforced also with the same hitch setup.

Your new highlander has about 50 hp more than my '04 but less wheelbase...

Congratulations and happy camping!
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #12

I've got a 2003 Sienna and have yet to experience any "drag". We pack the trailer, not the van. With dual batteries on the hitch, we do our best to balance the load. Mileage has been a low of 11 MPG (thankfully one tank), to a high of 16 MPG. On average, we are around 13 - 14. All towing is done in third gear (four speed transmission). I'm considering moving up to a Highlander due to the ratings but would hate to give up the practicality of the minivan (seats 6 full size people). I was a little disappointed that the 2011 Sienna still carries the same tow rating even though the engine is more powerful than the current Highlander and Toyota states the new frame is 11% stiffer. I just spent a week test driving a Ford Flex AWD Limited. Liked the crossover, but almost choked at the 15 MPG. The car was relatively new with just 300 miles on it when I got it. Don't even want to think of the fuel consumption while towing. Didn't know the Flying J had scales. I'm curious as to see what I'm towing. Figured 4,500 to 4700 lbs.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
I've got a 2003 Sienna and have yet to experience any "drag". We pack the trailer, not the van. With dual batteries on the hitch, we do our best to balance the load. Mileage has been a low of 11 MPG (thankfully one tank), to a high of 16 MPG. On average, we are around 13 - 14. All towing is done in third gear (four speed transmission). I'm considering moving up to a Highlander due to the ratings but would hate to give up the practicality of the minivan (seats 6 full size people). I was a little disappointed that the 2011 Sienna still carries the same tow rating even though the engine is more powerful than the current Highlander and Toyota states the new frame is 11% stiffer. I just spent a week test driving a Ford Flex AWD Limited. Liked the crossover, but almost choked at the 15 MPG. The car was relatively new with just 300 miles on it when I got it. Don't even want to think of the fuel consumption while towing. Didn't know the Flying J had scales. I'm curious as to see what I'm towing. Figured 4,500 to 4700 lbs.
I believe that the 1st gen. sienna has a higher hitch mount due to the fact that that model does not have the fold in the floor seating and some pretty low bumper facia pieces. It is a common complaint for many 2nd gen. sienna owners. I have several friends that tow small boats or pop up trailers, most of them have added air bags to the rear suspension.

The highlander is a nice ride but I love the room of the minivan. I believe that the '08 highlander and the '11 sienna is actually the same motor but the sienna now has a six speed tranny. My '04 has a five speed tranny and I tow in fourth (the wind drag is sufficient enough that it won't tow in fifth even if I put it there, except for the odd down hill run).

Has your trailer got the yellow sticker inside the screen door? Mine does and it lists it as 4650 lbs. (I assume that is before the battery is installed and propane tanks are full).

I want to love the ford flex so much... I has a killer powertrain this year (350 h.p. and 350 ft/lbs. of torque along with a six speed tranny) but sitting in it at the car show left me wanting more. That being said, I still haven't ruled this ride out yet, I have not driven one. The gas mileage seems to be a common complaint with this model (and that was before this new motor was offered).

The new 2011 sienna left me feeling grateful that I have a older model. It seems to be a nicer looking ride but has lost some of it's practicality with the redesign. For instance, the second row seats are a lazy boy style and recline, in theory. I am only 5'-8" and with the seats back as far as it could go I still did not have enough leg room to recline with my feet up. It must be made for kids only. Two drink holders instead of one in the dash along with two more in the center console 6" away (at the expense of lost storage space also), folding rear seats that are actually harder to manipulate etc. etc. I wasn't impressed.

It doesn't really matter anyway, I don't think I'll be buying anything for at least five more years.
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #14

Took a look at the yellow sticker inside the screen door and my 2010 comes in at 4490 lbs. A full freshwater tank would add another 292 lbs. I usually travel with just enough water for bathroom breaks and a meal on the road. I'm impressed the Sienna tows the weight with such ease.

Tags
surveyor