Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
DustyRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY Capital District
Posts: 268
Has any one installed a PI EMS in a 251rks?

I am thinking of purchasing a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS 30amp. Wondering if anyone else has completed this mod in a 251rks?
Looking forward to the feedback. Any pictures would be appreciated.
__________________

__________________
2017 Forest River Surveyor 251rks
2016 Chevy 2500HD

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
grumpy0374's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,451
Have one in our Lexington. Doesn't matter what type of rig you have, just get it. This shouldn't be considered a "mod" but a necessity.
Just look up on the forum...hundreds of pages and posts about the need for a PI EMS.
Just do it!!!
Grumpy
__________________

__________________
Steve & Cheryl + Zoey, and Ziggy, our furry kids.

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
DustyRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY Capital District
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Have one in our Lexington. Doesn't matter what type of rig you have, just get it. This shouldn't be considered a "mod" but a necessity.
Just look up on the forum...hundreds of pages and posts about the need for a PI EMS.
Just do it!!!
Grumpy
In this trailer I think it will be tough install. So I am looking for input. Else it is a portable one.
__________________
2017 Forest River Surveyor 251rks
2016 Chevy 2500HD

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
In this trailer I think it will be tough install. So I am looking for input. Else it is a portable one.


Why do you think it "will be a tough install"? It's merely splicing into your shore power feed cable. There is always access to either a junction box that the shore cable feeds into, which is common on trailers or directly cutting the short cable and inputting the end between the leads.

Not hard at all.
__________________
2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7L PowerStroke

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
SDShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
DustyRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY Capital District
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDShocker View Post
Why do you think it "will be a tough install"? It's merely splicing into your shore power feed cable. There is always access to either a junction box that the shore cable feeds into, which is common on trailers or directly cutting the short cable and inputting the end between the leads.

Not hard at all.
No junction box that I can see. They ran the shore cable along the back wall under rear kitchen and stove/pots & pans drawer.
I will have to take apart connection where shore cable comes into trailer. It all runs behind access panel. I only hope they didn't staple down power cable behind hot water tank.
I am not a small guy and arms might not be long enough.
__________________
2017 Forest River Surveyor 251rks
2016 Chevy 2500HD

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDShocker View Post
Why do you think it "will be a tough install"? It's merely splicing into your shore power feed cable. There is always access to either a junction box that the shore cable feeds into, which is common on trailers or directly cutting the short cable and inputting the end between the leads.

Not hard at all.


Access can be quite difficult on some rigs.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 1,433
Have you taken off your fuse panel to determine if you have space there?

It may be easiest to do it that way. Take the power lines out of the fuse panel and put into EMS, then add another 1-2 foot of wire to attach back to the panel. Thats how i did mine in a different trailer. For ease I attached the extra wire beforehand to minimize work in the "hole"
__________________
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Sandpiper 25RLS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
DustyRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY Capital District
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
Have you taken off your fuse panel to determine if you have space there?

It may be easiest to do it that way. Take the power lines out of the fuse panel and put into EMS, then add another 1-2 foot of wire to attach back to the panel. Thats how i did mine in a different trailer. For ease I attached the extra wire beforehand to minimize work in the "hole"
Good idea. I will check that out. EMS install is new to me. Didn't get to do on last trailer.
__________________
2017 Forest River Surveyor 251rks
2016 Chevy 2500HD

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Access can be quite difficult on some rigs.


Wasn't thinking clearly I guess. My apologies.
__________________
2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7L PowerStroke

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
SDShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cedar Creek Lake, TX
Posts: 2,416
I've installed two, but not on that model. In both cases I installed behind the power converter (aka fuse panel). Easy to remove and see how much space you have. Unplug first!
__________________

__________________
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2017 Wildwood 27 RLSS
2016 Ram 5.7L crewcab, 8 speed transmission
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.