Old 01-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
WV Rambler

Holding Tanks 287BHSS

Hello all,

Quick question. Thinking of getting a tank tote for when we camp for long periods without sewer at the site. Trying to figure out what size to get.

Brochure for the 2018 287BHSS says gray tank is 60 gallons and black tank is 30 gallons. Fine.

BUT, there are two gray tank drains, which would indicate there are two gray tanks. One is the galley drain/tank up front, presumably only linked to the kitchen sink, and the other is in the back with the black tank drain, assuming it is for the rear bath sink, shower, and I'm guessing outside kitchen sink.

Question is, what size is each gray tank? I am trying to make sure that the tote I buy is slightly larger than the largest tank I would need to drain.

I could assume that the 60 gallon figure is split evenly between two 30 gallon tanks, but that wouldn't be logical considering the difference in the number of fixtures it is servicing.

Either way, I could simply drain the tanks before they are full, but to play it safe, I'd rather know the numbers.

Anyone know for sure?

Also, I am considering the Rhino 32Gal tote tank. Any better advice?

Thanks for any help.

kraushad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
Site Team

In 13 years of RVing, we've NEVER needed to use our tote tank for black water.
And that was mainly dry camping.

Your gray tank normally fills way faster than the black tank.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
WV Rambler

Thanks for the comments. We have been at it for a while too, and I agree 100% that we would most often need it for gray tanks, which is why I am trying to figure out how large each of those tanks is.

Hoping to find out if a 32 gal tote would be big enough to empty either gray tank, even if I accidentally let them get full before dumping. Got an email in to Surveyor, but figured someone here might know already.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:15 PM   #4

We have a 27 gal tank. We use it every year. I was concerned about weight and size that is why we chose the 27 gal. Plus when we dry camp I have to pull it a good distance over rough roads. Choose the 4 wheel version. It hooks to the ball and you can pull behind your truck.
Our tanks are the same size I believe.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
WV Rambler

In case it helps anyone else, according to Surveyor, the 60 gallon capacity advertised for gray water is split equally between two tanks.

So there is a 30 gallon tank up front for the galley tank, and a second 30 gallon tank in the back for the bathroom and outside kitchen sink.

I would have thought the rear gray tank may have been a larger percentage of the total, but i guess it is easier for them just to use the same tanks for everything.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Head Rambler

You found out before I saw your post, but yes, the tanks are equal size.

Now as to the tote, that Rhino is a two wheel model. If I were you I'd seriously consider a good four wheel model. 30 gallons of water will weigh 250 lbs. So if you're in a situation where you can't leave it hooked to a tow vehicle while you fill it, you're going to have to try to lift about half or more of that to hook it to a tow. With a four wheel model you could at least pull it to a more convenient place to hook up with a rope or strap, and you only have to lift the handle to hook it to a tow vehicle. Just my 2.

Tags
tank