Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #41

I've had a number of problems with the last two trailers. Problems fixed by dealer but it still is a pain. It seems that it might be best to stick with a trailer for a number of years when problems are taken care of than buying new.
Chicken Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #42

My first 5th wheel was a 1999, bought used in 2000. My impression was that someone bought it for a trip and only slept in it, as interior looked untouched.
It was a Terry which had a soso reputation, But I had very few problems in ten years.
My second (and last) is a 2011 Flagstaff bought new that has been nothing but trouble. With all the problems listed on this forum I haven't had yet, almost afraid to use it anymore. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #43

2011 Greywolf
slideout kick plate came off and almost got stuck UNDER the slideout while bringing it in.
Jacknife bed frame bent, A/C unit not cooling or cycling off. Speakers for TV not working. Fresh water tank emptying while driving.
Warrenty replaced couch, repaired kick plate, no answer about the A/C unit (maybe it was to hot there, is what I was told) or the water problem.
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #44

We had a (not new to us) 01 Spinnaker, nice, big, heavy and no problems.

My Brother-in-law bought their 2nd Cardinal (2011) ceiling replaced, LOTS of water leaks, failed water pump, etc, etc.
(I thought hhmm maybe just that unit)

I’ll keep the list for our 2012 360 MH to just the BIG stuff.

PDI
no heat from front vents
holes in bath room wall, door hitting towel rack
pop rivets loose on door closer
etc

Home... could not get out, steps hit curb can't turn them off

1st trip (4 days 7 miles from home)
No AC, thermostats would not call for AC at 100* or higher
Their little minds couldn’t figure out why we wanted AC when it was 10*, a baggie full of ice on the thermostats fooled them into thinking it was 98*
No propane, the fitting was finger tightened and vibrated loose (should have turned it off while traveling…GLAD I DIDN’T!!! )

2nd trip (5 weeks 700 miles from home)
Day 3 no water from the kitchen sink
Day 4 no water front bath sink
Day 5 no water front commode
Day 6 no water 1 rear lavatory
Day 7 no water other rear lavatory
Euro chair falling off of base
Leaking air mattress (cost us $240 motel for brother and JB's sister-in-law )
Rear gray tank takes 1 hour to drain
Etc
Etc

Our service writer whispered that quality control at Forest River had gone DOWN HILL when they bought the Dalmatian.

Moving ON!!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I will get to repaint the front and rear bumpers next year as when they pulled the trailer from the factory to Alberta it must have hit some wicked salt and started the rust process on the bumpers.

I should mention, it is a 2011 Surveyor sv-295 and we are very happy with it.
Kev
Get yourself some RUST BULLET and do your bumpers for the long haul... Stops rust in its tracks for 10 years. Guaranteed.

we have a 2012 Salem and the local dealer refuses to work on it under warranty. Fix the problem cash or Visa up front and get Forest River to reimburse it.

Been there tried that and Forest River so far has not assisted woth the broken awning clips, the missing bumper cap at time of delivery, the replaced dead bolt on the main door and the 4 tires in 2,000 miles which are worn so bad I will have to replace them this spring.

Glad your happy with your service though
Old 01-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #46

Thumbs down

WOW not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Get yourself some RUST BULLET and do your bumpers for the long haul... Stops rust in its tracks for 10 years. Guaranteed.

we have a 2012 Salem and the local dealer refuses to work on it under warranty. Fix the problem cash or Visa up front and get Forest River to reimburse it.

Been there tried that and Forest River so far has not assisted woth the broken awning clips, the missing bumper cap at time of delivery, the replaced dead bolt on the main door and the 4 tires in 2,000 miles which are worn so bad I will have to replace them this spring.

Glad your happy with your service though
flhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #47

Plumbing leaks!

We had some major plumbing leaks in nearly every piece of plumbing. Major leak under the sink, tub leaking behind the wall, outside shower, and water pump under the sink. My husband is really handy so he has fixed them all rather than take the unit across town. There also looks to be some fiberglass de-lam on the back up by the top seam. It's not leaking and my husband doesn't want to drag it over to the dealer before the warranty expires next month so I guess we'll deal with it later.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
We had some major plumbing leaks in nearly every piece of plumbing. Major leak under the sink, tub leaking behind the wall, outside shower, and water pump under the sink. My husband is really handy so he has fixed them all rather than take the unit across town. There also looks to be some fiberglass de-lam on the back up by the top seam. It's not leaking and my husband doesn't want to drag it over to the dealer before the warranty expires next month so I guess we'll deal with it later.
Why wouldn't you take it to the dealer BEFORE your warranty ends? What if the problem gets worse before spring and the dealer and FR finds about your not wanting to "drag it to the dealer" when you first noticed it? I wouldn't drag your feet on this.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #49

My thoughts exactly but he doesn't want to and it's not something I can do myself.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #50

Quote:
My thoughts exactly but he doesn't want to and it's not something I can do myself.
If I were you, I would at LEAST notify your dealer of the delamination. If something worse happens after your warranty is up, you'll have a heck of a time getting this taken care of. Your choice to do nothing about it will not be looked upon favorably by your dealer nor FR. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #51

Babs: delamination is not a small issue that can be left alone. When it start it will only get worse and usually fixing an issue like this involves a complete change of the wall. It is costing big time money and it is an issue for Forest River not a trailer owner. They replaced the whole wall at the back of my 2011 rockwood because of water damages inside the wall and their job was perfect after. Go for the repair while your warranty is still valid.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #52

Babs: Do a search on these forums for "Complaint." Read about the problems this guy has been having for a year and half with water, etc. because he refused to deliver his TT back to the dealer for repairs. If your husband doesn't want to take it back, why not call the dealer and see if they'll pick it up?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #53

Rare problem - water runs out of trailer when breaking camp

We took our new 2012 3002 Windjammer on two trips in Sept and Oct last year, about 20 nights total. Here's what went wrong:
  • stove light and hood fan quit working
  • Genesis 3 will not read USB and SD ports correctly
  • outside speakers hardly make any sound
  • one wheel hub fell off
  • two stove burner igniters rarely ignite the gas
  • power awning has a catch when extending it
  • when we break camp and head for the dump station, probably about 2 gallons of water run out of the bottom of the trailer in the area under the bedroom.
The Genesis was replaced. We have the exact problems with the new one. All other items were fixed satisfactorily, except one.

The water issue happened every time we camped, rain or not, two nights or five. We had water hookups each time. The leaking water looked clean - I don't think it's gray - definitely not black. The dealer opened up the trailer underneath, and could see where standing water had gathered, but could find only a very, very slow drip in a water line, which they tightened. Don't see how that could have leaked at least a couple of gallons in two days. There was no damamge anywhere, including the interior, thank goodness. They left the water pressure on for a long time - but nothing else leaked at the dealership. We won't know if the water issue has been fixed until next camping season.

Has anyone out there had this problem? I'd be very curious to know the fix if someone has been through this. Thanks.
picknfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #54

Maybe we have a lemon.
We bought a 2011 BlueRidge 3025 in May.
It has not been happy camping for us since this purchase.
We have had multiple electric problems. Including having the converter go out.
Faucet screws in shower rusted, and replace the shower faucet -leaking.
Shower walls are coming off the walls.
A drawer fell apart. Screw came out of brace for steps.
Finial comes off light every trip.
Mouldings all warped and off exposing screws. Front compartment mouldings warped and has a 1/2 space into the basement exposed.
Dining area slider does not close completely.
And we have been on 5 mini trips. Every single one was a
headache. This is our long trip 1300 miles. And staying in
it for 3 months. We have had nothing but problems on this trip as well.
We always dreamed of our life and being able to travel. Its been more of a nightmare.
We traded in a 9 yr old Hurricane for this fifth wheel to have more comfort and space. Well we have the space but no piece of mind. I cannot recommend a Forest River Product.
shipsnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #55

Palomino Puma absolute nothing so far.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #56

Picknfiddle: regarding the water that run under the trailer bedroom : it remind my trailer 2011 rockwood right after we took possession. After a rain storm I found that the trailer was dripping under the black plastic menbrane. After a close inspection the water was running inside the wall and ended up trapped inside the Darco menbrane, I made my own test by cutting the menbrane opened near the area where it was leaking and it came from the back wall each time it was raining. For your case it could be something else than the rain but for sure your leak ends under the darco menbrane. This menbrane is breathable and will leak when water is present. They replaced the whole back wall of my trailer because of this leak. see a picture of my leakage. The wall was already rotting out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06100.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	10092  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #57

Quote:
Shoot if you lived in Ohio I'd drive it to your dealer for you.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #58

My large slide likes to rub on the carpet for about 5" making an ugly dark stripe on the carpet. They adjusted the slide so they said, but it still drags on the top of carpet. Other than that thats it. I know I went up on the roof and re-sealed a lot of chaulk lines on the first day of ownership. I had a couple areas that would have leaked if I wouldn't have added more chaulk.
So other than that its been a great unit...

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #59

Capucine, Good thing you took a look when you did. Glad to hear they fixed it the right way. That could have been much worse if it had happened after the warranty ran out. My problem obvoiusly isn't rain, so that's a relief - since it's stored outside this winter. It's kind of hard to tell by the picture, but I don't think I have a membrane like yours. They had to open up the enclosed underbelly to find where the water had been standing. I even laid under the trailer and pushed up on it in may locations before we left our last campsite. No luck finding water. Then we pulled out and water started running out. ???? We'll see what happens in the spring.
picknfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote