Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Hmm, just the 1st year, huh ??

Water ran back into camper when draining the hot water heater for winter. Recaulked bottom of water heater seam. (self).

120 volt water heater toggle switch would not work. Replaced myself.

Slide leaks when open. Dealer found seals not installed properly.

Bathroom GFI won't reset. Replaced by dealer.

Broken bedroom light fixture. Replaced by dealer.

Broken bedroom TV 120 volt receptacle. Replaced by dealer.

Left rear stab jack jams. Fixed by dealer.

Tongue jack binds. Replaced by dealer.

Slide closes too tight, bowing the bottom. Dealer adjusted slide stops.

Burned out tail light bulb due to getting wet. Replaced myself.

AC did not work on low speed. Dealer found a loose wire.

Propane system "sings". Dealer tried another regulator, with no cure. Dealer replaced pigtails which solved the problem.

I had to do a little tweaking on the Concertone CD player. The tab that trips the micro-switch in the closed door position was over-extending the micro switch. A little snip of the tab solved the problem. Regretfully, the remote never worked, and I didn't even try that until after the warranty period was over.

And I consider that we got a great camper.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #22
Not such a Junior anymore
We have a 2010 SP-189, which we enjoy using. It is our first TT. Having cruised this forum a bit before buying, I was aware I was going to have some things to deal with.

I have two lists. One of problems and fixes, and the other for improvements.

1. Concertone was singing (static) when turned on. Replaced it myself with a Jensen unit, which has better quality and output anyway.
2. Microwave had an internal wiring problem. Dealer replaced it (not really a FR issue).
3. Had to rebuild the drawers because the staples couldn't hold it together once loaded with stuff. Used wood screws, and now they are bulletproof.
4. The screws on the end of the helper spring/shocks on the bed storage lid broke loose after a few trips. Put in supporting wood and new screws, and all is fine.
5. Found one brake wire was not connected at the drum. Took a while to find, but I had lock-up problems on the one wheel. Probably too much voltage was being applied to the one functioning brake.
6. A couple of cupboard door screws became stripped after a few trips. Replaced with beefier fasteners, and all is fine.
7. The bottom of the pantry broke out (because I had too much booze on the shelf). Put in some vertical supports from the floor underneath, and now its fine.

1. Added a real volt/amp meter to keep tabs on the batter power. We're not fans of RV parking lot environments. Most of our activity is in state/federal campgrounds.
2. Changed all lighting with LEDs based on advice from this forum.
3. Put in a power tongue jack.
4. Spliced into some power lines to create a bedside cutoff to things like the tv, tv booster antenna, dish satellite, etc.
5. Wired up some external jacks to plug in the tv outside the unit, including putting speaker jacks from the Jensen to supply outdoor speakers. The factory external speakers don't produce decent sound.
6. Replaced the tail-lights with LED units mentioned on this forum.
7. Replaced the 2 12v onboard batteries with 2 T125 batteries. Built a portable power center (contains the old 2 12v batteries) with plug ins for tv, radio, whatever.
8. Added a quick-charge connector to the T125 batteries in order to use a 40amp Black and Decker charger, which outputs 14.5v/40amps during the 1st phase. Restores the batteries much faster than the WFCO, keeping generator time down. Same connector on my portable power pack (#7) for same purpose.
9. Rewired the cable coax so that the external connector does not connect to the inside factory cable connection. Discovered that satellite signals do not "pass through" the Wingard connection when powered off. The factory connector now is only used for the antenna tv signals.
10. Added a Wingman to the Wingard antenna.
11. Bought a Wingard Carry-out satellite dome.
12. Added a ladder for $80 using a universal fitment found on ebay.
13. Replaced the basic water-pump with a "Revolution" water pump. Pressure is better, and half as quiet.
14. Added some shelves where it made sense, both inside the pantry, and one spanning and open space between cabinet and fridge.
15. Added a number of hooks for hanging jackets, back-packs, etc.
16. Purchased two battery powered LED motion sensor lights for inside. When I power down from the bedside, this provides lighting in the bathroom in the night, which is the same circuit as the tv and booster.
17. Replaced the outside light with a motion sensor version. Did not change to LED because of the photocell issue. LEDs/CFLs do not work well in photocell or motion applications.

I enjoy doing fix-ups and mods, so I had some fun doing this stuff. The only visit to the dealer I made was to exchange the Microwave, which I removed myself and reinstalled later.

Dave & Tami
Borwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #23
No real problems to speak of. Our Flagstaff must have been made on a day when the workers were all happy, as the fit and finish on our camper is exceptional, and everything has worked 100%.
And everyone who sees it is jealous!
We couldn't be happier.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
No real problems to speak of. Our Flagstaff must have been made on a day when the workers were all happy, as the fit and finish on our camper is exceptional, and everything has worked 100%.
And everyone who sees it is jealous!
We couldn't be happier.

I sometimes get the same feeling, even with the little problems that we have had. I figure mine was completed on a Wednesday from 10-12.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #25
The only major "issue" we had was one of the shelves in an outside storage compartment broke. This was right above the water pump. Thankfully, it didn't damage the water pump. DH replaced the shelf with a much stronger one and used bigger fasteners and more of them. He also used ALL of the storage compartment instead of just putting the shelf straight across. Now we have taller storage on one side, and a shelf on the other. Works great!
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #26
We've had our 2012 SV-294 for 2 months, and we have had a few issues already. The power jacks were blowing fuses, the hood fan was installed backwards, the manual crank didn't match up with the jacks, the dinette has the wrong cushions in it, and a roof ven fell apart. So far everything but the cushions has been fixed up. On the plus side, everything was handled by warranty without any fuss or fighting.

One last trip this coming weekend to finish the season. I hope it's a good one!
Triathletedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #27
on our 2008 rockwood 8315SS (purchased new in 2008) we had to have the converter replaced the 1st year (under warranty). since then,no other issues except minor adjustments. (hose on black tank flusher was loose,easy fix).biggest thing i am keeping an eye on is watching for signs of delamination ! i understand there was a "bad "batch of adhesive used in the mfg. process that year.
2008 rockwood signature ultra lite 8315SS[SIGPIC]
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #28
We have had our 8312SS since May this year and have been out five times so far this year. So far so good, no problems yet.....
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #29
Mine must have been built on a friday after the workers had a liquid lunch. My 2011 235-RKS has definitely had it's share of problems.

One of my problems is that I bought it about 400 miles away and the nearest dealer is 80 miles away so I have been just fixing stuff myself.

On the maiden voyage..

The electrical panel latch broke (not really FR fault, it's just cheap). I used some velcro as a latch.

I found the outdoor shower head to be cracked at the threads(replaced for $15).

The TV output on the entertainment unit was plugged into the wrong plug (I pulled the unit out and fixed it).

The shower drain piping leaked (one of the slip joints was not glued).

Various things that were supposed to be screwed together came apart (cabinets, drawers, etc.). I used some better screws to fix it

Fast forward to this September (warranty is now expired), I'm dry camping in the Eastern Sierras and it's really cold one night (below freezing).

It's 2AM and the heater is not working. It fires up and sounds like it's blowing but it's not. (I'm sure it worked last year so I'm thinking a hose blew out underneath). Good thing I packed extra sleeping bags.

When I get home (Southern California and its about 90 degrees outside and 100 in the trailer) I open the undercarriage to check the hoses, everything looks fine so I pull the couch out to get to the heater. Eventually I find that the 4x12 inch knockout panel on the heater was still in place (also I wasn't crazy, the bathroom indeed has it's heating from a different port). They went through the trouble of fabricating a neat little manifold out of square aluminum for the three ducts and they forget to knock out the panel.

Other than that, I love it.
jertruax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #30
Originally Posted by jertruax View Post
Mine must have been built on a friday after the workers had a liquid lunch. My 2011 235-RKS has definitely had it's share of problems.

On the maiden voyage..

The electrical panel latch broke (not really FR fault, it's just cheap). I used some velcro as a latch.
Sorry about the issues you are having with your trailer. If it is any consolation, the latch problem you corrected with velcro can be easily addressed (if you have a WFCO panel) by contacting WFCO Cheng. A couple of folks in this thread ( called them up and quickly got replacements in the mail.

Hang in there and these issues will be long forgotten and replaced with happy camping memories!

Oh, and

Frank & Rita M
2008 Ford FX2 F-150 3.73 CC 139" WB w/EQ4 WDS
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote