Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #1

I am an unlucky guy :(

I bought an 2011 SV-291 in July and camped in it once. When we came back home I saw some water puddled inside on the right side storage compartment. Having closed the trailer I thought that maybe some had gotten in as I was opening and closing the door and it was raining really hard.

I just came back from checking the trailer and there was water right inside the right (passenger) side storage door. as I had put tons of paper towels they sucked it all luckily. Opening the left side storage door, I saw some water on the interior lip of the door frame. Obviously both storage doors are leaking

I had given back a used Trail cruiser my local dealer because of extensive water damage and purchased a brand new trailer so that I would not have water leak issues, and here I am having to deal with it again. How difficult it is to make a storage door which does not leak ???

Of course I purchased the trailer cheap in Ohio, and my dealer (Ontario, Canada) here will want to charge me even for warranty repairs as they explained they do not get fully compensated for warranty repairs and will have to pass the difference on to the customer who did not buy their trailers from them. Obviously when you buy from them, they more or less have an idea of how much warranty repair difference will cost on the models and they tag that onto the sale price so that they are not out of money when they get underpaid by FR.

So much fun ... brand new trailer and water leak just after one trip .....Why I am not one of the folks who is lucky and had no water leaks with their unit.

Any SV-291 owners with a water leak in the forum ?
Goomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #2

i would not except making a partial payment on warranty repairs demand it be made right or it back to fr,i would rather spend my $$s on transportion vs rewarding a an idiot dlr
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #3

Wasn't it in this forum I saw that FR stated that their dealers are not obligated to do warranty work if you did not purchase the unit from that same dealer ? Sending a 32' trailer to Indiana will cost me a fortune for what will probably be two seals to be replaced.

Even though I hate the idea of having to make a partial payment for warranty work, spending thousand(s) for a simple work is simply not logical. What will happen if they do not get it right, send it again ? Urrrggghhhhhh

Of course when I talk with the dealer and they do not change their tune, which I hope they will, I will be contacting FR and ask them to pay me back the difference. warranty is warranty and if we have to partially pay for it to get it done, they had better let the purchaser know it in advance ! What happens if you are traveling and something major breaks and has to be fixed.

I am "this" close to giving up on camping
Old 09-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #4

"Wasn't it in this forum I saw that FR stated that their dealers are not obligated to do warranty work if you did not purchase the unit from that same dealer ?"
=================
If it was posted, that is bs. I talked directly to the factory, and it doesn't matter where you bought it, any dealer can do warranty work. They might not give you priority, but if there is a buck to be made, they will do it. And whoever told you Canadian dealers only get partial compensation for warranty is not someone I would trust.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #5

Goomph,

Camping with our families is suppose to be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Whatever RV one chooses to do this with is also usually enjoyable and rewarding, but also source of pride. Still, looking at the big picture, it's only a second thought compared to whatever reasons we do this to begin with.

We all know that issues with our RV's will occur, but when they get to the point that they over shadow or completely void our enjoyment, we often feel like giving up. I know. Recently I have felt that way myself. But with a little time and the weather turning cooler, that urge to get out to the camp site has returned.

Do whatever you need to do to put your problems behind you. Whatever that is will be the correct choice. You'll soon be back out there enjoying time with your family and whatever RV you have will again become a second thought.

Good luck and happy camping!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

Talk to the FR rep that handles your RV directly and ask for alternative dealers or independant shops in your area. Simply tell them you do not trust the dealer. FR can and has authorized non FR shops to do warranty work in the past, they really don't care who they pay as they have no loyalty to the dealers and vice versa.

I was very cheerfully advised by the local shop here that is the Dometic service center that worked on my refrigerator that they would gladly perform any warranty work on my Forest River coach. They are not a dealer only a service and parts shop. I told them I wished I would have known that as I was now out of warranty but that "I would keep it in mind."

If you are capable of doing the work yourself you can ask them to just send you the parts. They did that for me.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"Wasn't it in this forum I saw that FR stated that their dealers are not obligated to do warranty work if you did not purchase the unit from that same dealer ?"
=================
If it was posted, that is bs. I talked directly to the factory, and it doesn't matter where you bought it, any dealer can do warranty work. They might not give you priority, but if there is a buck to be made, they will do it. And whoever told you Canadian dealers only get partial compensation for warranty is not someone I would trust.
I am looking at a Surveyor brochure I picked up at a camper show: "Outside of customers they personally sold products to, they are not contractually obligted to perform warranty service on Forest River products that were purchased elsewhere."

That's what the Forest River brochure says, so I'm not so sure it is BS. Yes, the dealer CAN do warranty work, but they are not required to. It is left up to them.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure it is your storage doors leaking? Water is a funny thing. Leaks can travel. Might be worth a look to see if there is some other source for the water?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #9

I did check all the walls to see if there was any dampness in the storage area and they were bone dry. And having seen water accumulation in the interior lip of the door frame on one side, and the wood thing getting detached right under the other door and being soaked I concluded that it was the doors. I had put paper towels in the interior of the door frame and it was really soaked. Looks like water pile up inside the door frame (The rubber plastic thingie is soaked with water) and then goes right inside.

Having said that, you are right of course, water does travel a long distance, and I am keeping my eyes open to see if it might be coming from anywhere else. Today I will go to my dealer and ask them if they will have a look ....I love having a brand new trailer with a water leak problem What was I thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Are you sure it is your storage doors leaking? Water is a funny thing. Leaks can travel. Might be worth a look to see if there is some other source for the water?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

I am not too sure many of you who reside on the south side of the border understand how companies do business with Canadians. Many electronic companies will not warranty an item purchased stateside and call it grey market even though the same item is sold in Canada, forcing you to send it back to the States and if it was manufactured offshore well you end up paying duty on something you had already purchased and paid duty on before (Even a Sony Playstation as I work with someone this happened to) . The big three auto makers will not warrant a brand new vehicle purchased state side and have been taken to task on it. Many companies like John Deere also have policies in place to protect their Canadian dealers. Like it or not this is the way it is so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the FR policy that it has to go back stateside and it would be nice if it isn't true but at the same time they are only trying to protect a market. IMO when in Rome do as the Romans, I buy lots of things stateside but I will never buy anything that I would ever need warranty on south of the 49th. Do I pay more? Probably but I take the time to research things and get the best possible deal locally and if I have an issue I can rest easy knowing I can call a company close to me and get willing help. Doing the cross border thing is all fine and dandy till you have a problem and then well you get what you paid for.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #11

I do not want this thread to turn into something I did not intend to. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and spend their money the way they see fit.

I know that there a few SV-291 owners here and wanted to see if they had leaking storage doors.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I do not want this thread to turn into something I did not intend to. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and spend their money the way they see fit.

I know that there a few SV-291 owners here and wanted to see if they had leaking storage doors.
I have a Rockwood and both front storage doors leaked. It was due to the wrong size gasket material being used. The proper size gasket was installed and no more leak. I did it myself with a gasket kit I received from Forest River. It was a very simple job.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #13

You do not have pictures of the before and after gasket, do you ? The current gasket initially made closing the storage doors very difficult. And now it is as if they are not there. And whenever I open the doors if it had rained, they are full of water ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
I have a Rockwood and both front storage doors leaked. It was due to the wrong size gasket material being used. The proper size gasket was installed and no more leak. I did it myself with a gasket kit I received from Forest River. It was a very simple job.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #14

I don't have before and after pictures. On mine closing the hatches was very easy and I had leaks. The new gaskets make it a little challenge to get the doors latched. So far after a little over a year they have not compressed much.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #15

Ok, silly question, mine are white what colour were the ones, originally and after ? Maybe the gasgets I have are defective as they compressed unbelievably ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
I don't have before and after pictures. On mine closing the hatches was very easy and I had leaks. The new gaskets make it a little challenge to get the doors latched. So far after a little over a year they have not compressed much.

Tags
surveyor