Old 10-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #11

We own a Grand Surveyor GS 280 with a slide and we are very happy with it. We went on a 3200 mile vacation this summer ($1200 gas) with two small dogs and a 6 yr. old and never felt cramped. Of course we were very active on vacation and were never "rained in" for several days or anything like that.

We too have the McKesh Mirrors which are good because our truck only does part time duty pulling the trailer. I do have hints on adjustment if anyone asks.

We use Reese dual cam sway control/weight distribution and Prodigy Brake control system. We were probably pulling close to 6000# loaded.

I had my brakes serviced and new Bilstein shock installed all around before the trip.

And of course proper attention to tires all around.

Gene Lueg
Ruston, Louisiana

Gene Lueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #12

Now I am worried again...

Thanks for the comments on mirrors. I have decided to go with the McKeesh. Weight is my issue so the Surveyor seems to be the best bet.

I am now seeing posts about Forest River not honoring factory defects on tires and/or axles. Since I have not even taken delivery on our trailer yet, I am wondering if I picked the wrong company! We got excellent service from Casita even after the warranty period was over.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #13

Forest River took care of an axle issue on my friend's 2004 Rockwood. The axles were not manufactured by FR!

As for mirrors, you might find that Titan mirrors will fit your Nissan. I have an Xterra, and parked next to my friend's Titan. We eyeballed the mirrors and the shape of the mount. They appear to be identical. I decided not to go that route due to the square Titan mirrors may not look good on my vehicle.

I got a free set of clamp on mirrors from the same friend. He didn't need them after buying the Titan with the towing package, which included the extendable mirrors I was admiring. The clamp-on ones work fine, but aren't exactly asthetically pleasing. Oh well, the price was right.
Equalizer Hitch -w- 1000# bars
Yamaha EF2400iS generator
http://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlepeople
Thanks for the comments on mirrors. I have decided to go with the McKeesh. Weight is my issue so the Surveyor seems to be the best bet.

I am now seeing posts about Forest River not honoring factory defects on tires and/or axles. Since I have not even taken delivery on our trailer yet, I am wondering if I picked the wrong company! We got excellent service from Casita even after the warranty period was over.
The tires are warranted by their manufacturer, likely Carlisle. The axles are warranted by their manufacturer, possible AL-KO. All other major components are warranted by the manufacturer of each. Forest River is not responsible for those. When you pick up your trailer there are warranty cards for everything on it that need to be sent in to the respective manufacturer. Forest River warranty covers workmanship of the unit itself, not the components thereof.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor

« I'll start | Keys?? »