Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2006, 11:36 PM   #1

Unhappy I am disappointed!

We are this close to buying a 2007 SV230 and I wanted to check in with current owners to see what is going on. I think I am looking in the right place but I don't see any conversations. I hope this is not an indication of how few Surveyor owners there are!

We travel with two standard poodles and have just sold our 2003 Casita because the dogs were just too much under foot.

I am concerned about how to find extension mirrors for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder I will use to pull an 8 ft. wide load (the Casita was only 6' 6" and I needed no other mirrors). Anyone have any suggestions?

I really think this is the right trailer for us but would like to connect with some other owners to hear their experiences.
poodlepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 AM   #2

We are sorry you are disappointed but this is still a very new site that was started in July and will take time for people to find it and for it to grow. It has actually grown tremendously since it started as we are approaching the 200 member mark, which is pretty good for a new site in a little over 2 months. There are a lot of Surveyor owners out there, they just have not found us yet.

Extension mirrors are generally available for most popular models of tow vehicles and there are several brands. Most camping related stores (Camping World) have a good variety of mirrors that will slip over the factory models. CIPA is the brand I use. It slips over the factory mirror and works fine. Website is http://www.cipamirrors.com

Kim

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #3

I use a pair of clip ons that I bought on ebay. Camco is the brand name. Works on my 8" Surveyor.
Dick
dichayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:10 PM   #4

Sir: I am also using a set of clip-ons that you can purchase from JC Whitney (Part # ZX884956U). They are not very pretty but they work very well. I think you get one for $13 and you will need two. They are universal and you can swap sides of the vehicle. They use chinzy looking rubber straps but I have never had one fall off yet. I suggest that once you adjust them you mark them for right and left to save a lot of re-adjustment. Thanks DicknJudy
DicknJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #5

Thanks for all the mirror ideas. CIPA does make some nice semi-custom units but not for the Nissan - only US brands (and those owned by US companies).

I had no idea that this site had only been up since July.

I am just about ready to take the plunge and buy the 230. My only worry is the length and how hard it will be to manuver in tight spots like the parking pad next to my house and the parking slot in the RV lot our HOA has. I am thinking of trying to build some sort of hand powered trailer dolly to make this easier (the strictly manual ones are no help in pushing 3500 to 4000 lbs around). Anyone have any experience along these lines.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Try looking at www.cipausa.com They have at least two universal-fit towing mirrors. If nothing else, I would think that the door-mount one might work for you. They also have an 800 number listed under Contact Us.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:59 PM   #7

poodlepeople

Have you looked into McKeesh Mirrors ?

Also, Ebay is a good place to look.

I've also seen Tow-N-See mirrors on a few tow vehicels.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #8

Thanks for the mirror tips.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
gate

hi poodle,
i have an option for your mirror situation, i have a 2005 nissan titan with the tow package and the mirrors that come with the tow pkg look like normal mirrors but when you tow you can just extend them .they are very nice ,mine also have heat which is great here in New England. i had to replace one recently due to a truck backing into one of them i found that they weren't to expensive. around 200.00 from the dealership. you could check the dealership or maybe they have some nice aftermarket ones.hope this helps
gate33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I travel with four small dogs, so I have some understanding of your needs. Given your concerns about the dogs being under foot, I would suggest that you look at the Flagstaff 23FBS. That slide gives you a lot more room if you have dogs and, I supect, the price might not be too much more. Can't quite understand how you made out at all with the Casita. That must have been cozy, to say the least.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #11

We own a Grand Surveyor GS 280 with a slide and we are very happy with it. We went on a 3200 mile vacation this summer ($1200 gas) with two small dogs and a 6 yr. old and never felt cramped. Of course we were very active on vacation and were never "rained in" for several days or anything like that.

We too have the McKesh Mirrors which are good because our truck only does part time duty pulling the trailer. I do have hints on adjustment if anyone asks.

We use Reese dual cam sway control/weight distribution and Prodigy Brake control system. We were probably pulling close to 6000# loaded.

I had my brakes serviced and new Bilstein shock installed all around before the trip.

And of course proper attention to tires all around.

Gene Lueg
Ruston, Louisiana
Gene Lueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #12

Now I am worried again...

Thanks for the comments on mirrors. I have decided to go with the McKeesh. Weight is my issue so the Surveyor seems to be the best bet.

I am now seeing posts about Forest River not honoring factory defects on tires and/or axles. Since I have not even taken delivery on our trailer yet, I am wondering if I picked the wrong company! We got excellent service from Casita even after the warranty period was over.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #13

Forest River took care of an axle issue on my friend's 2004 Rockwood. The axles were not manufactured by FR!

As for mirrors, you might find that Titan mirrors will fit your Nissan. I have an Xterra, and parked next to my friend's Titan. We eyeballed the mirrors and the shape of the mount. They appear to be identical. I decided not to go that route due to the square Titan mirrors may not look good on my vehicle.

I got a free set of clamp on mirrors from the same friend. He didn't need them after buying the Titan with the towing package, which included the extendable mirrors I was admiring. The clamp-on ones work fine, but aren't exactly asthetically pleasing. Oh well, the price was right.
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlepeople
Thanks for the comments on mirrors. I have decided to go with the McKeesh. Weight is my issue so the Surveyor seems to be the best bet.

I am now seeing posts about Forest River not honoring factory defects on tires and/or axles. Since I have not even taken delivery on our trailer yet, I am wondering if I picked the wrong company! We got excellent service from Casita even after the warranty period was over.
The tires are warranted by their manufacturer, likely Carlisle. The axles are warranted by their manufacturer, possible AL-KO. All other major components are warranted by the manufacturer of each. Forest River is not responsible for those. When you pick up your trailer there are warranty cards for everything on it that need to be sent in to the respective manufacturer. Forest River warranty covers workmanship of the unit itself, not the components thereof.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor