Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #1

I have had it.

Well I have just about had it. We purchased a Surveyor 189 4 months ago. The dealer experience was not the most enjoyable but we over looked that as we were excited about our new trailer and they had what we wanted. After the first trip out, we noticed a bulge forming in the front nose panel. We took it to the dealer and it needs a new front end. So they replace the nose. This is resolved I hope.

We then have issue with both hatches leaking. Took it back to the dealer to fix. Two days later the hatches have water in them and the flooring has turned a milky white. This is still not resolved.

Next trip out and the refrigerator barely cools. This is not resolved.

Next the shower skylight starts leaking. Thank goodness this is over the shower. However water may be in the walls. This is not resolved.

Our axels pop terribly. Straight, turning it doesn't matter. Now I know that all leaf springs pop some under stress but ours causes other camper to come over and ask if everything is ok. This has was reported and we were told it was normal.

Tanks are sitting on the axels. The dealer looked at this and called FR (so they said) and was told that we must have overfilled them? Not resolved.

Our television now has an annoying buzzing sound as of this weekend. This has not been reported yet.

I have been emailing the issues to my dealer but they don't seem to concerned. At this point I am at wits end and I am not sure what to do. The dealer we purchased from is a 6 hour round trip. We asked if there was a closer dealer and our dealer is recommending we go to the closer one about 2 hours away.

My Question is should I start with another dealer and let the selling dealer out of the responsibility of fixing the issues. Does it matter? Should I contact FR and have them get involved? Will they buy the dang thing back?

Sorry for the rant. Just frustrated. I understand that maintenance and work has to be done on trailers but I didn't expect it so soon.
Lpboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

How do you over fill your tanks. That makes no sense.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

That is exactly what I said.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpboy View Post
Our axels pop terribly. Straight, turning it doesn't matter. Now I know that all leaf springs pop some under stress but ours causes other camper to come over and ask if everything is ok. This has was reported and we were told it was normal.
If you are using a WDH, that might be the noise you are hearing.

Quote:
Tanks are sitting on the axels. The dealer looked at this and called FR (so they said) and was told that we must have overfilled them? Not resolved.
My bottom cover on my Surveyor sits on my axles where the fresh water tank is.....I can get my hand between the axle and cover, so haven't worried about it. But........I have torsion axles. The axle itself does not go up and down going down the road.....it is stationary. With a leaf spring setup, that axle is moving up and down......that is a serious problem in my book.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #5

Unfortunately it's not the hitch. I have pulled it without and it still sound terrible.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #6

Time to call Forest River and get them involved. A nice "I need help attitude" will get you to resolution faster than "I'm mad as hell!" Good luck getting everything fixed. RVing is supposed to be the relaxing get away not frustrating problems!
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Stuart,

The year of your Surveyor might also help us help you. I know you bought it 4 months ago, but while it might be a 2013 model, it could just as easily be 10 years old.

What we recommend will certainly depend on how long that particular camper sat on the lot (if new), whether it was used or not, etc.

What year was it made?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #8

Sorry about that. It's a 2012. Built 1/23/2012 if that helps. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

Oh. And I bought it new as the first owner.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

So, it appears your camper sat on the lot just a few months in GA.

That rules out salt damage and premature rust to the running gear.

The poorly fitting cap and doors sounds a LOT like a "racked" camper. Hitting a curb "at speed" can twist the frame of these light campers to the point where they take a set that is hard to fix. It could also loosen the mounting bolts on your axles.

Not saying you did it or even if that is the problem.
Just saying it COULD be the problem.

It could also have happened by the delivery dude and may or may not have been caught on delivery. I would have the frame checked at a frame shop right away (certainly before the warranty expires) and get a statement from the frame shop as to what they think happened.

THEN you can go back to the dealer or FR armed with some facts rather than various complaints. You might have better luck that way.

If "you" hit something and caused the damage, FR most likely won't cover it. HOWEVER, your truck/camper collision insurance should.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

You might also lay down so you can see the suspension and have someone rock the trailer back and forth sideways and see if you can see anything that looks strange or popping when the springs flex.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #12

Thanks. I'll get it checked but honestly axels popped the day it was drove off the lot. The leaking is a seal issue I believe. However as you said, the frame could be warped. Being as there is less than 800 miles (75% of them going to the dealer) I don't think I did anything. I worked on a farm when I was young so I am confident pulling a trailer. Could have been the delivery guy? Maybe. Hadn't thought of that but how would you prove it? The other leaks etc are a pain. I just think a lot of it is attention to detail in the workmanship.

The frustrating thing is that even though this wasn't a $50,000 fifth wheel it was a lot if money to me anyway. I would just expect a little better quality control from FR and a lot better service and support from the dealer.

I guess a NICE call to FR is the best bet. Anyone have a specific number or contact that might can help?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #13

How does one overfill tanks? Wouldn't you get a back up if that happened.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #14

Also are you a Good Sam member. They have a program to assist those of us who have run into a brick wall with companies who will not deal with lemins
Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #15

I am a Good SAMs member. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:

I guess a NICE call to FR is the best bet. Anyone have a specific number or contact that might can help?

Thanks for the replies.
Document, document, document.

Why did you buy from a dealer so far away? My previous trailer's dealer was 50 miles away and was still a PITA. Give your original dealer the opportunity to get things corrected. Strongly suggest to the service department that you are giving them an x number of days to correct the issues. Don't leave the dealer's city limit until you are satisfied.

Contacting FR will be your next step but keep in mind that they may have you right back at the dealer. So don't burn your bridges behind you! Showing your ***** will not get you anywhere. Let the dealer know you are not satisfied and he will be seeing you for a while until your issues are corrected.

Good luck. The Force is with you!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #17

They were the second closest. The first didn't have what we wanted and said that they couldn't get a 2012.

It gets worse. We are camping tonight and my wife pulls back the sheets to find the bed wet. The window over the head of the bed is leaking.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #18

Hmmm.....I'll be watching this one closely. My Surveyor 189 has had zero issues, other than I broke the TV . 6 hrs away would be a tough one.

FWIW, these trailers are not exactly light. Mine is around 4200lbs dry and seem quite stout to me. It would have to take a heck of a hit to cause all these problems - not sure hitting a curb would do all that. An inspection of the wheels and tires could give a clue if that were the case.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #19

Looking at the wheels and undercarriage there doesn't seem to be anything that looks out of line. Wheels and tires are perfect. The comment about the frame possibly being an issue has me thinking. Question, how hard is it for you guys to close your outside door?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #20

Laying down and looking at suspension with someone rocking trailer will do nothing, take your unit to a Truck & Trailer place and have them look at it, get professional advice then and only then go to dealer
murry52 is offline   Reply With Quote